Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
so Ive decided to tackle storage, my current method is a bit random and it can be hard to find a vial of something in the 55lt container.

attachicon.gif
DSC_1881.JPG

there is a fair bit of cutting involved but its going to be ******* stirling..

15 x 11 and I can fit at least 2 layers in the tub which lives in the bottom of my 1100lt deep freezer..

this is going to be epic
im waiting for yeastdealzaustralia.com to open ;)

None of mine have cracked and some are years old now.

In fact, I want to bring out a few vials from 2011 and see how they've held up.

YDA, had been considered ;)

so in more of it's semi final glory..

vials 1.JPG

with plenty of room left for the OG containers on top of that level

Im still toying with a couple of ideas to improve this concept

Attachments

• vials 2.JPG
    vials 2.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
Yob said:
so in more of it's semi final glory..
come on... my inner OCD says you could at least co-ordinate cap lid colours in some kind of pattern ;)

My inner OCD says you should also cross-reference the above & create a spreadsheet with your entire bank with freeze-dates & %age glycerine & be sure to save at least 3 copies of the spreadsheet in different places in the event of nuclear attack/bushfire/flood/cyber attack.

OK, maybe 4 copies (or 5 if you can get them all to update simultaneously, with a Master-copy held in a hermetically-sealed safety-deposit box under a rock, somewhere in Canada). :p

MartinOC said:
My inner OCD says you should also cross-reference the above & create a spreadsheet with your entire bank with freeze-dates & %age glycerine & be sure to save at least 3 copies of the spreadsheet in different places in the event of nuclear attack/bushfire/flood/cyber attack.

OK, maybe 4 copies (or 5 if you can get them all to update simultaneously, with a Master-copy held in a hermetically-sealed safety-deposit box under a rock, somewhere in Canada). :p
surely a box burried 150km north east of Kal would do the trick.

Yob said:
Anybody have 50 or so 50ml vials they ain't using?

I don't have enough to form my ice rack part 2 thingo...
at first read I laughed so hard, then all I could think was here comes another BB, and fell off the couch laughing. Your your own nemesis.

Yob said:

Lolz.

Aye, come grab mine. Would have 30 or so, at least. Mostly just use 15's now these days.

Dibs on YDA shares.

Yob said:

You can have mine too if you want.

Think I've probably got closer to fiddy .

So a quick question. I'm getting ready to freeze some yeast later today. I'm just wondering about insulating the 50ml tubes in my frost free freezer. I've got some blocks of Styrofoam laying around from bbq packaging. If I drilled out some holes to fit the tubes snugly, do you guys think it would insulate properly against the defrost cycle? Or should I go the clip top tupperware thingo with foam lining and salt ice? Also is 35% glycerin the go for most people?

Bruer said:
Or should I go the clip top tupperware thingo with foam lining and salt ice? Also is 35% glycerin the go for most people?
this... ^^^^^^

Im usually at about %25 now, just coz its easy numbers to do

Latest posts

Back