Leftover yeast from kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those packs are most likely S33, depending on what kits they come from. The plain white packs are typically S33.

It's actually not a bad yeast especially when you pitch 15-20 grams into a lager, the results can be quite reasonable.

It's also a good one to use when re-seeding a long term cubed and chilled lager when you need to liven the batch up a bit before bulk priming. Neutral flavour wise, it does the job quite nicely so well worth while holding onto a few packs.

Black Devil Dog said:
I've been thinking about putting them into my boil @ 15 - 30 min, as a yeast nutrient. Unsure about the effectiveness of it though.
This is something I do whenever I've got a spare pack lying around (which isn't too often). I've also add a few teaspoons of bakers yeast at the end of the boil.

All my reading says it adds vital nutrients, which are needed early on in fermentation, and I've never noticed at detrimental effects from it. All the beers I've made with some yeast added as nutrient have been very tasty.

JD

printed forms section said:
+1 for bread ... yummy, can't wait to be agging and make a spent grain loaf or 3
What is this "spent grain loaf" you speak of.

Cheers for that. I'm all pumped to try it with my favourite dough recipe."No knead bread". Here's the link if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI
Also makes incredible pizza bases.

Tim said:
When you use dried yeast as a nutrient you are effectively autolysing your yeast which will provide nutrient but can also add off flavour. Its generally considered poor practice. Commercial brewery's have a lot of surplus yeast and they don't go throwing it in the boil for a reason.
would agree

and boiling does not kill all yeast spores.... just most of them, unless you have an autoclave or pressure cooker.

Dengue said:
would agree

and boiling does not kill all yeast spores.... just most of them, unless you have an autoclave or pressure cooker.
White Labs says no
http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/servomyces

Also from another page on their site;
Q: What is Servomyces?
Servo is yeast and is propagated in a micronutrient rich environment then, and is killed off prior to packaging. Boiling incorporates the Servo into the wort. The benefit of Servo is that micronutrients, e.g. zinc, are able to pass through its cell walls to your live yeast cell, thereby delivering the micronutrients without toxicity. Because this system is so effective in eliminating autolysis and improving the health of your yeast, it should be used in every batch.

If added to your boil, the remaining live yeast in the packet (if you're using old yeast) will most likely be weak enough to be killed by boiling
And if not, most coopers yeasts are quite neutral, you're not going to get much noticable difference (if any) from it

you are assuming this stuffis the same as old brewers yeast they put in sachets above kit cans ?

I'm not so sure.

I've heard of brewers who claim their beer has been tainted by the flavour of the said yeast they boiled for nutrients, if only mild but then it may also be the "off flavours" others have mentioned as well.

sp0rk said:
White Labs says no
http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/servomyces

Also from another page on their site;
Q: What is Servomyces?
Servo is yeast and is propagated in a micronutrient rich environment then, and is killed off prior to packaging. Boiling incorporates the Servo into the wort. The benefit of Servo is that micronutrients, e.g. zinc, are able to pass through its cell walls to your live yeast cell, thereby delivering the micronutrients without toxicity. Because this system is so effective in eliminating autolysis and improving the health of your yeast, it should be used in every batch.

If added to your boil, the remaining live yeast in the packet (if you're using old yeast) will most likely be weak enough to be killed by boiling
And if not, most coopers yeasts are quite neutral, you're not going to get much noticable difference (if any) from it
Servomyces are a different beast altogether than Saccharomyces. Its basically a form of yeast (not brewers yeast) that is pumped full of nutrients. The only reason you would use it over raw yeast nutrient is if you are a commercial brewer in Germany and limited to only putting water, yeast, hops and malt in your beer as servo is technically a yeast.

If Bum and yourself keep on insisting that its good to add yeast to the boil then that's OK with me. Its on the internet so it must be true.

wbosher said:
What do you guys do with leftover yeast from kits, if you use a different yeast? Just curious as I now have a couple of 5g kit yeasts sitting in the fridge, and wondering if it can be used for anything.
I re-hydrate it, I mean seriously, why wouldn't you? It'll just die otherwise.

Dengue said:
would agree

I'm not suggesting it is perfect, but I've done this a lot and my beers are pretty good. I've had wort in the cube for months, with yeast added as nutrient and never had any unwanted fermentation in the cube.

I don't do it when I have nutrient, but for me it is fine as a substitute if need be.

Some people say you will ruin your beer using yeast as nutrient, others say that making a no-chill pilsner is impossible as it will be full of DMS :ph34r:. I say RDWHAHB.

JD

Latest posts

Back