Re-using yeast that's been sitting in trub for almost a week yet tempretures have been high

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrynpitts

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I plan on re-using some American Ale yeast that's been sitting in my laundry for almost a week, I'm just wondering if becuase there's been a couple of hot days if the yeast will be cooked and unusable? or if it will be decreased in it's usability, in that case I'm happy to chuck it into a batch where I'm using the same yeast just so there's more yeast within the batch. Or would this potentially cause off flavours?

Jarryn

OK. Do it then!

It would appear to me that you answered your own question when you wrote the topic of the thread. However, by all means, go ahead and use yeast that has been sitting in trub for a week in temperature fluctuations including hot days. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

OK. Do it then!

It would appear to me that you answered your own question when you wrote the topic of the thread. However, by all means, go ahead and use yeast that has been sitting in trub for a week in temperature fluctuations including hot days. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Well I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this, if it potentially causes off flavours or if the yeast will have gotten too hot and won't work. I've decided to harvest the yeast without washing it and will collect a small sample of wort from a brew in the future and ferment it seperatly and see how it goes and then will post an update on this thread.

As long as you didn't breath/cough over it, it should be fine. Next batch will have more trub.
I just fermented lager @ 35c thinking it was kveik, and it worked, but I'm not sure what the result will be.
Ale yeast are happy all the way to 30c and will survive to almost double that... but what's your peace of mind worth?

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
“It’s risky”, said experience.
“It’s pointless”, said reason.
“Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

There is an old saying among brewers.
We make wort. Yeast makes beer!
If you take abused yeast and use it to brew it stands to reason that you won't get the best beer you could.
Yeast has to be happy and healthy to make good beer so we do all we can to keep it that way.
Mark

Jarrynpitts, you asked me "Why?" This is why I wouldn't, but it's up to you.

I regularly re-use yeast. Harvest, wash, refrigerate, grow starters etc, or just make a new brew immediately on the yeast bed of a finished batch. I've done the Cooper's Real Ale yeast harvest from 6 stubbies as well. I currently have over 50 unused packets of yeast from kits in my fridge, collected just over the last 18 months or so, which sort of illustrates just how much I re-use my yeast. Everything I do, if I intend to reuse it, is done with the utmost care and immediately. Sterile glass jars and lids to collect and wash, washing and storage using distilled water only etc. Sometimes the "clean" yeast in the fridge still goes off, if stored for a long time.

There is no way I would consider it necessary or advisable to use yeast that has been left as you describe for as long as you say. I personally think you'd be better off using a teaspoon of fresh Baker's Yeast. Actually, I would never allow the yeast trub to sit in my FV for a week after emptying it. I clean them out immediately, as in while my racked beer sits in the bulk conditioning drum, before bottling. If I'm going to harvest or re-use the yeast, I do it first.

If you do go ahead and re-use it, please be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

As long as you didn't breath/cough over it, it should be fine. Next batch will have more trub.
I just fermented lager @ 35c thinking it was kveik, and it worked, but I'm not sure what the result will be.
Ale yeast are happy all the way to 30c and will survive to almost double that... but what's your peace of mind worth?
I'm not sure that lagers gonna turn out great, I brewed a lager at high tempretures by accident once and it turned out pretty poor. Lagers should be fermented at low temps generally, within 9-13 degrees and it's better they're cooler than warmer.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by whats my peace of mind worth, could you explain that please?

There is an old saying among brewers.
We make wort. Yeast makes beer!
If you take abused yeast and use it to brew it stands to reason that you won't get the best beer you could.
Yeast has to be happy and healthy to make good beer so we do all we can to keep it that way.
Mark
Yeah on second thought I think I'll just dump the yeast actually, I'm not sure it's worth my time.

Jarrynpitts, you asked me "Why?" This is why I wouldn't, but it's up to you.

I regularly re-use yeast. Harvest, wash, refrigerate, grow starters etc, or just make a new brew immediately on the yeast bed of a finished batch. I've done the Cooper's Real Ale yeast harvest from 6 stubbies as well. I currently have over 50 unused packets of yeast from kits in my fridge, collected just over the last 18 months or so, which sort of illustrates just how much I re-use my yeast. Everything I do, if I intend to reuse it, is done with the utmost care and immediately. Sterile glass jars and lids to collect and wash, washing and storage using distilled water only etc. Sometimes the "clean" yeast in the fridge still goes off, if stored for a long time.

There is no way I would consider it necessary or advisable to use yeast that has been left as you describe for as long as you say. I personally think you'd be better off using a teaspoon of fresh Baker's Yeast. Actually, I would never allow the yeast trub to sit in my FV for a week after emptying it. I clean them out immediately, as in while my racked beer sits in the bulk conditioning drum, before bottling. If I'm going to harvest or re-use the yeast, I do it first.

If you do go ahead and re-use it, please be sure to let us all know how it turns out.
Yeah I've decided just to dump the batch, more trouble than it's worth.

Hi guys,

I plan on re-using some American Ale yeast that's been sitting in my laundry for almost a week, I'm just wondering if becuase there's been a couple of hot days if the yeast will be cooked and unusable? or if it will be decreased in it's usability, in that case I'm happy to chuck it into a batch where I'm using the same yeast just so there's more yeast within the batch. Or would this potentially cause off flavours?

Jarryn
Splash out on a fresh packet

Yeah I've decided just to dump the batch, more trouble than it's worth.
I think that was a wise decision.
I'm not sure that lagers gonna turn out great, I brewed a lager at high tempretures by accident once and it turned out pretty poor. Lagers should be fermented at low temps generally, within 9-13 degrees and it's better they're cooler than warmer.
I'm not sure what lager you're making, but if you're just making kit lager, like Cooper's Lager or similar, it isn't lager. The yeast supplied with the kit is not cold temperature lager yeast. To turn these into lager, you need to go and buy a proper lager yeast.
My apologies if you already knew this.

Latest posts

Back