Culturing Yeast And Using Slants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, and that's basically what you're meant to do anyway.

The other method (which I do) is to make a fresh slant. Wait till that grows, then pour 10ml of wort into it and shake it up, leave it for a day or so, then add it to about 50ml, then 400ml on stirrer, then to 2L on stirrer.

You can then continue to use your old source (I have mine stored under distilled water, not on slants) to make new slants etc, as you can with your method.

I use the whole slant at a time method as well. I find its much easier and there is lesas chance of contamination as you are inoculating the starter with a much larger amount of yeast. You also don't run the risk of having your working slant contaminated (from being repeatedly opened and closed) and ending up with that contamination in all your starters.

When making slants from my masters (also stored under water) I usually make up 5 or 6 of each strain at a time as that's really not much more work than just making one. that way I can use a slant per brew with no hassle.

Cheers
Dave

I had my first go at making up some slants on the weekend. I goofed measuring up the ingredients so instead of 1040 wort I've got closer to 1020 and the growth medium looks very pale when compared to other photo's I have seen. Will my slants still work or should I start again?

cheers

grant

Hi Grant,
I'm by no means a pro, but i'm pretty sure you'll still get growth. i wouldn't throw it away.

1020 will be fine. Still enough sugar there for the small amount of growth you need

Kabooby :)

1020 will be fine. Still enough sugar there for the small amount of growth you need

Kabooby :)

A lot of professional growth media for yeast is way lower that 1040. Too much sugar in the growth media is a bad thing. What you want is just enough for it to grow to cover the surface then run out of food and go dormant. If there is too much sugar it won't go dormant and may not keep as well.

I've never measured the OG of my growth media but I use 1% malt which is probably going to give me something like 1004 given that my 1040 starters are about 10% malt.

Cheers
Dave

Mods, is it possible to have this stickied?

I know alot of users would find this information useful, especially the wort/agar ratios and procedure as it is the prefered method over using gelatine.

Latest posts

Back