Leftover yeast from kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
What do you guys do with leftover yeast from kits, if you use a different yeast? Just curious as I now have a couple of 5g kit yeasts sitting in the fridge, and wondering if it can be used for anything.

I use them for 5L batches of cider
or boil it in a starter wort to add nutrients for liquid yeast

beer yeast maked good bread....but bread yeast makes shit beer..

yeast also works well in septic tanks...

I've been thinking about putting them into my boil @ 15 - 30 min, as a yeast nutrient. Unsure about the effectiveness of it though.

Black Devil Dog said:
I've been thinking about putting them into my boil @ 15 - 30 min, as a yeast nutrient. Unsure about the effectiveness of it though.
I remember reading something about this somewhere...don't know of anyone who has done it though.

wbosher said:
I remember reading something about this somewhere...don't know of anyone who has done it though.

I've done it a couple of times after reading the tip on here, not sure how effective it was really, beers were still 10 days grain to glass and tasted just as good as prior versions.

ive got a heap of them in my fridge as well, same, duno what to do with them, was gonna save them till I did some more homework, could you use them for an apple cider?

wbosher said:
Will put my hand up for that, used them all up eventually

Yeah, I've used them as nutrient too. The beers weren't crap so it must be ideal practice, right?! Apparently it is missing some bits and bobs compared to proper yeast nutrient but it won;t hurt and is probably better than turfing them.

I also found them good for upping my pitch rates on kit GBs (used to make them pretty heavy).

sp0rk said:
or boil it in a starter wort to add nutrients for liquid yeast
bum said:
Yeah, I've used them as nutrient too. The beers weren't crap so it must be ideal practice, right?! Apparently it is missing some bits and bobs compared to proper yeast nutrient but it won;t hurt and is probably better than turfing them.

When you use dried yeast as a nutrient you are effectively autolysing your yeast which will provide nutrient but can also add off flavour. Its generally considered poor practice. Commercial brewery's have a lot of surplus yeast and they don't go throwing it in the boil for a reason.

Yeah, but it isn't autolysis. It's the previously mentioned bits and bobs.

The healthy yeast consumes the dead, boiled yeast. It's not the same as when autolysis occurs post ferment.

+1 for bread ... yummy, can't wait to be agging and make a spent grain loaf or 3

I'm a highly scientifical sort of brew-person.

I use a mix of the previously mentioned methods of sometimes using it for breads/doughs and other times throwing it into the boil.

Although I also have other yeast for breads/doughs, and yeast nutrient for the boil.

...anyone want some old yeast packs?

Latest posts

Back