Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
50mm knurled stainless
Any chance of a photo of your rollers? I’m interested to see how the knurling compares to the MM. Is your mill geared?

mill 1.jpg
mill 2.jpg
mill 3.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Interesting, they don’t look much different to the MM. I was expecting the knurling to be coarser. The tip look a little flat and blunt also and that seems to be when the problems start with the MM knurled rollers.

Do they pull dry grain through ok or do you wet it first every time?

The larger the roller the less the knurling matters. It has to do with the angle with which the corns approach the gap. Small roller, smaller angle. Large roller, larger angle. Large enough rollers and you don't even need knurling or fluting, as on many professional mills.

As it has a lazy 2nd roller I jam a few grains in between the rollers before filling the hopper. Once the 2nd roller is spinning it mills no probs.

Does 5kg in 1min @~180rpm

I am of the opinion that you want flats on the knurl as sharp points puncture the husks

The roller have done a lot of work and the knurl hasnt changed at all. Gap is set at 0.9mm normally and I good s nice amount of flour

Mardoo said:
The larger the roller the less the knurling matters. It has to do with the angle with which the corns approach the gap. Small roller, smaller angle. Large roller, larger angle. Large enough rollers and you don't even need knurling or fluting, as on many professional mills.
Yep

Someone on here made concrete roller about 300mm dia. Was dead smooth and worked very well form memory

There was one on here many years ago made from wood.
I dont know the size of the rollers but they were quite large and they were smooth.

Mardoo said:
I realise that but I would be surprised if Stu’s 50mm rollers would make such a difference compared to MM 38mm rollers.

300mm would be a different matter.

I still have the gears removed from my MM and have just put a few handfuls of wet grain through it and it pulls through no problem, in fact far better than dry grain with the gears fitted.

Sometime the lazy roller will grab and spin without putting a few grains in, but sometimes it doesnt, and is a real PITA when it doesnt

Ducatiboy stu said:
Sometime the lazy roller will grab and spin without putting a few grains in, but sometimes it doesnt, and is a real PITA when it doesnt
Just tried your trick jamming a few grains in the rollers first and it does indeed pull dry grain through once the lazy roller starts turning. What’s more is it felt far more solid with no slipping than it usually does with the geared rollers.

I’m off out now but I’m going to let the rollers dry out and try again later with a larger quantity of dry grain.

Thats a beauty Liam, great find.

I recon that there was another wooden roller mill even older than that post...from memory it was similar in size and I was not sure whether it was geared or it maybe had a rubber ring on the drive roller to turn the passive roller.

Crankenstein have a good idea to ensure the roller drives.

They machine a series of grooves or shallow flutes on the end of each roller.
This grabs some uncrushed grain and drags it through the roller rather than relying on the knurl.

I will grab some rollers and take a pic....stand by

dicko said:
Thats a beauty Liam, great find.

I recon that there was another wooden roller mill even older than that post...from memory it was similar in size and I was not sure whether it was geared or it maybe had a rubber ring on the drive roller to turn the passive roller.
It might be this thread from 2004? AHB member Sosman in Melbourne made a wooden roller mill, but the pics are no longer available on the AHB web page, and the links to his own web pages are no longer active (and Sosman hasn't logged on to AHB for five years).

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/3596-grain-crush/page-2

However, several years ago I was looking a website by a Melbourne brewer (Sosman?) who had built a wooden roller mill. The website is now dead but I saved a copy of the webpage to my hard drive, so here a few pics from the web page to show how he went about building it:

wooden rollermill 2.png wooden rollermill 1.png

wooden rollermill 3.png wooden rollermill 4.png

wooden rollermill 5.png wooden rollermill 6.png

Feldon said:
It might be this thread from 2004? AHB member Sosman in Melbourne made a wooden roller mill, but the pics are no longer available on the AHB web page, and the links to his own web pages are no longer active (and Sosman hasn't logged on to AHB for five years).

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/3596-grain-crush/page-2

However, several years ago I was looking a website by a Melbourne brewer (Sosman?) who had built a wooden roller mill. The website is now dead but I saved a copy of the webpage to my hard drive, so here a few pics from the web page to show how he went about building it:

attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 2.png
attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 1.png

attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 3.png
attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 4.png

attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 5.png
attachicon.gif
wooden rollermill 6.png
i had forgotten about that one..another great build :)

Back