Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. Got me thinking. Haven't ever had a mill myself and rely on the HBS, but....

From this thread I get the impression that the Mash Master fluted mill seems to get the initial tick of approval from all who've tried it (better crush with less flour and more intact husks). At $290 plus postage seems good buy.

Mardo, I think referred to German forums and linked in the Matt Mill http://www.braufox.com.au/index.php/en-AU/shop-accessories/product/10-matt-mill-70mm/lang-en-AU able to be bought in Aus for $398.50 plus postage.

Now come next christmas I will be travelling to the Fatherland and have access to a German address that the Matt Mill manufacturer will send direct, which will cost me about AUD $264 (on current currency conversion) including postage to my in-laws. http://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/Malt-Mill-MattMill-Kompakt (website in english so have a look, but they only post to Germany or Austria. They do have distributors in other parts of the world like Braufox in Aus)

Their description of the Matt Mill is;
  • handy and inexpensive, proven MattMill quality
  • hardened and sharpness (fräsgerändelte) compact rolls
  • Ø70mm, 50mm long
  • unique in the world: "spelzenschonende" texture
  • hand made in Germany with German quality components exclusively
  • permanently reliable collection without synchronization
  • infinitely adjustable 0 to approx. 2 mm by eccentrics
  • massive, closed casing made of aluminum and stainless steel: safe, no experiments, no dust
  • durable and maintenance-free
  • diverse, easy montage options e. g. clamped on a table edge
  • many opportunities for individual hopper, large-volume hopper can be reordered
  • Service of the machine "Bauermeister" within a few days with shipping service
  • Drive also available with optional crank or as standard 6 mm hexagonal bit
  • Versatile and inexpensive hopper options: from the PET beverage bottle to large volume funnel.

Power: up to 3 kg best grist per minute, with crank about 1-2kg/min (depending on fitness) (approx. 11gr./revolutions)
Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a Matt Mill and are able to share their experience? (milling issues, issues with parts or service, grain crush, lauter performance of crush etc)
  2. Anyone able to compare the Matt Mill 70mm mill and the Fluted Mash Master 38 mm mill? (I know this is asking alot as the fluted is relatively new)
  3. Should I wait for christmas (ie 2017 before I use it) to save $30-$50 and get that 'hand made in Germany' quality? or is the crush of the Fluted Mash Master supercede all others?
  4. Or are there better options out there for a similar price range?

EDIT - Figured out how to attach pictures at last!

Fluted 86170258.jpg Vs larger mill rollers Malzmuehle-MattMill-Kompakt.jpgMalzmuehle-MattMill-Kompakt_b2.jpg

2nd EDIT - fixed failures in attaching images and spelling.

Jack of all biers said:
attachicon.gif
Malzmuehle-MattMill-Kompakt_b2.jpgGreat thread. Got me thinking. Haven't ever had a mill myself and rely on the HBS, but....

From this thread I get the impression that the Mash Master fluted mill seems to get the initial tick of approval from all who've tried it (better crush with less four and more intact husks). At $290 plus postage seems good buy.

Mardo, I think referred to German forums and linked in the Matt Mill http://www.braufox.com.au/index.php/en-AU/shop-accessories/product/10-matt-mill-70mm/lang-en-AU able to be bought in Aus for $398.50 plus postage.

Now come next christmas I will be travelling to the Fatherland and have access to a German address that the Matt Mill manufacture will send direct which will cost me about AUD $264 (on current currency conversion) including postage to my in-laws. http://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/Malt-Mill-MattMill-Kompakt (website in english so have a look, but they only post to Germany or Austria. They do have distributors in other parts of the world like Braufox in Aus)

Their description of the Matt Mill is;
  • handy and inexpensive, proven MattMill quality
  • hardened and sharpness (fräsgerändelte) compact rolls
  • Ø70mm, 50mm long
  • unique in the world: "spelzenschonende" texture
  • hand made in Germany with German quality components exclusively
  • permanently reliable collection without synchronization
  • infinitely adjustable 0 to approx. 2 mm by eccentrics
  • massive, closed casing made of aluminum and stainless steel: safe, no experiments, no dust
  • durable and maintenance-free
  • diverse, easy montage options e. g. clamped on a table edge
  • many opportunities for individual hopper, large-volume hopper can be reordered
  • Service of the machine "Bauermeister" within a few days with shipping service
  • Drive also available with optional crank or as standard 6 mm hexagonal bit
  • Versatile and inexpensive hopper options: from the PET beverage bottle to large volume funnel.

Power: up to 3 kg best grist per minute, with crank about 1-2kg/min (depending on fitness) (approx. 11gr./revolutions)
Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a Matt Mill and are able to share their experience? (milling issues, issues with parts or service, grain crush, lauter performance of crush etc)
  2. Anyone able to compare the Matt Mill 70mm mill and the Fluted Mash Master 38 mm mill?
  3. Should I wait for christmas (ie 2017) to save $30-$50 and get that 'hand made in Germany' quality? or is the crush of the Fluted Mash Master supercede all others?
  4. Or are there better options out there for a similar price range?

EDIT - Figured out how to attach pictures at last!

Fluted
attachicon.gif
86170258_50x50.jpg Vs larger mills
attachicon.gif
Malzmuehle-MattMill-Kompakt.jpg
After the absolutely excellent service from Mashmaster as refered in most of these 14 pages in this topic, I wouldn't go past one.
Buying overseas is great until you have a problem and need assistance.

I did a hit on just one of the site sponsors at the top and found their new mashmaster mill to be $279.00
I would imagine most of the sponsors will be around that price.
Full Pint list their mill at $260 so there ya go...

cheers

They are not that hard to make :). Take an afternoon at most

The hardest bit is getting the rollers made, but any decent machine/engineering shop could knock them up pretty quick, and you dont need stainless, but it is nice to have.

Bearings are about $20-30 a set of 4

Timber is pretty cheap if you want to go wooden frame, but you will need a hole saw and some basic tools.

Of course it is easier to go " **** it...I will just buy one "... but its not the same as building one

The only prob I can see with that design is that it with grind rather than crush the grain

Test #2 MashMaster Mini with the gears removed.

This time I jammed a few grains in the rollers to get the non driven roller turning. It pulled 1 kilo of dry grain through in 33 seconds (as fast as my cordless would turn it).

Usually when I mill with the gears in place I need to go very slowly with the drill or I can feel the rollers slipping and not pulling the grain through and it takes about 20 minutes to mill 10 kilo.

It would seem that the gears are contributing to problem somehow. Perhaps the gears are causing the rollers to turn at slightly different speeds and working against each other and the slower roller is acting as a break?

11.jpg 22.jpg

I fitted a replacement fluted driven roller and gave it a run today.

Mill is eeexcelent. Took about 5 mins tro do approx 12 kilos.

I Biab and my efficiency took a 10% drop, so might have had it a bit wide. Very little flour compared with the rooted knurled rollers. Interestingly, the grain absorbed about 5l more than normal (50l batch/68l strike)

Ducatiboy stu said:
The hardest bit is getting the rollers made, but any decent machine/engineering shop could knock them up pretty quick, and you dont need stainless, but it is nice to have.
If my recent experience with getting small jobs done at machining shops is any indication - I'd safely say you've never had anything done!

CmdrRyekr said:
If my recent experience with getting small jobs done at machining shops is any indication - I'd safely say you've never had anything done!
I have had all sorts of weird and wonderful things made at machine shops :)

Mr B said:
I Biab and my efficiency took a 10% drop, so might have had it a bit wide. Very little flour compared with the rooted knurled rollers. Interestingly, the grain absorbed about 5l more than normal (50l batch/68l strike)
I've noticed the opposite, my efficiency has gone up since moving to a coarser crush and Tuesday's brew day was the best yet, first go with the replacement fluted roller too.

CmdrRyekr said:
Well if you can suggest a workshop with a CNC that doesn't charge $600 for a single, simple job; that would be ace.
It's not what you know but who you know certainly helps in this instance.

CmdrRyekr said:
Well if you can suggest a workshop with a CNC that doesn't charge $600 for a single, simple job; that would be ace.
You dont always need a CNC machine...

Most jobs can be done with a lathe, mill and a bloke who knows what he is doing

Ducatiboy stu said:
You dont always need a CNC machine...

Most jobs can be done with a lathe, mill and a bloke who knows what he is doing
This job consists of milling a concave radius into an aluminium block. I guess it could be done manually, but I wouldn't like to be the one doing it :)

I contacted MM last Wednesday,with the email on the website, and got my replacement roller today :beerbang: along with a sheet of 240 and 180 W&D paper. Looks better quality than the cheap shit I buy too. Cant complain with that. I wasnt for awhile there but Im very happy I paid the extra for a MM mill now. Sounds like the top of the line atm (except for that German number).

nosco said:
Im very happy I paid the extra for a MM mill now. Sounds like the top of the line atm (except for that German number).
What makes you think the German one (I assume you mean the Matt Mill) is better? I really am interested to know if one is better quality or produces a better crush. Call me paranoid, but when the Mash Master has some defect type issues (given the topic of this thread) it makes me reluctant to fork out money for the latest update that is yet to be proven better than one that will cost me the same (especially if it is better).

EDIT - Oh and thanks to Stu and co for the feedback about building your own. I'm not sure that I would be capable to do so for much cheaper than purchasing a ready made example with all the bells and whistles (ie adjustable and not frustrating when it does do what I want it to do). Built my own mash manifold and was proud, but a mill that will do the job. I'm probably not up to it).

In truth, we know SFA about the German MattMill. Sure, I've read a lot from the mfr and users, but few people in Oz have one. However I have contact info for a bloke who just bought one (via the Oz distributor) and I hope to have a look before too long.

Simply based on customer service and history I'm tending towards the Mashmaster. I may be the guy to go ahead and take one for the team and go the MattMill, but then I've spent plenty of time in my life standing around with my dick in my hand, and brewing is not one place I wish to do so.

Back