• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Kirrin Pale Malt For Sale In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Wes, a very interesting subject and I can understand that it is quite complex. The book would be an interesting read but for $200 it may be a little steep for the moment :p once everything else is upgraded on the home brewery I may upgrade the library!

Either that or I will pop down to the local uni and see if they have it :)

Appreciate the reply

Jason,

Im "trash mash al" as Asher calls me, due to my initial brew setup which cost next to nothing, but i got me a third at the nationals so i cant complain :) . If your planning on coming to Ashers place for brew day, i have a copy of Kunze and will bring it along for you to look at.

Cheers.

doh! can't make it .... flying in from France @ 1am that day :( May have to sneak a peek another time, maybee at a WCB meet.

Based on the advice from Wes I used my last 8 kg of this Kirrin malt in a lager. 100% of the grist, mashed at 63.8 degrees. Fermented 2 weeks, apparent attenuation 85% using 2308 Munich lager, 1 month cold conditioning, 2 weeks in the bottle.

I don't make/drink many lagers so not really qualified to judge, but the final product tastes to me like it has a little too much crystal, slightly cloying caramel in the aftertaste. It is a bit reminiscent of Crown I think, although a fair bit lighter in colour. Head retention is pretty shocking as well.

Anyway I think I'll get a bag of proper pilsener malt when I get into lagers and leave the kirrin for barleywines.

Just to see what this stuff really tasted like, I have just done a lager with 100% Kirin. Although it is not the best lager I have made, it certainly is not the worst. I mashed one hr. at 67C and effy. was 75% whereas I usually achieve around 80. Also FG was 1.008 instead of the usual 006. I guess 64-65C would lower that but I'm partial to a touch of sweetness in my beverages, as long as there is a hop balance.
GL, This brew has been on the gas for a week and has a good lingering head. It was 'sposed to be for Xmas but will be lucky to last a couple of weeks. I shall do it again.

Latest posts

Back