Kettle Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Reaction score
OK I'm thinking of taking the plunge and investing in a Beerbelly s/s kettle. I'm tossing up whether to get a 50L or 70L.

At the moment I'm only making "normal" size batches (~20L - one keg) but I can see myself making double batches in the future. I can't really envisage making batches bigger than say 40L.

I have a couple of questions:

- 50L kettle is too small for a 40L batch, right? (allowing for boil-off, kettle would almost have to be full to start - I can see this being a problem).

- Are there any disadvantages to making 20L batches in a 70L kettle? (extra surface area = increased caramelisation of wort????)

- Is there any thing else to be considered?

Personally I would go the 70lt. I have a 60lt and IMO it is uncomfortable doing double batches of 42lt final volume. As starting volume is around the 54-56lt mark leaving little head space. I reckon 70lt will be fine for singles and you can adjust accordingly for your gear. Bigger is sometimes better. :p

2c

Chappo

You have a couple of options,

With a 40L batch in a 50L in a 50L kettle, you could brew higher gravity and dilute the wort either nearing the end of the boil or in the fermenter.

There can be some disadvantages to making 20L in a 70L kettle, but it depends on your process. I cant see there being much difference in caramelisation, you might use a bit more gas. And if youre using an immersion chiller it will be mostly uncovered.

All of these concerns can be over come by technique.
The real question I would be asking myself is what will be your most common batch size.

If the answer is 20L then Id go the 50L kettle and modify my technique for the occasional double batch.

If on the other hand you will be mostly brewing 40L batches then go with the 70L one and modify your method for 20L batches. This kettle will also give you room to make the occasional triple batch if you dilute you wort at the end.

+1 to what Chappo said. I also have a 60 ltr and would be a little happier with a 70ltr. Like all tools, buy it right the first time and you won't be wasting money upgrading or replacing in the future. The 70 ltr will be fine for your single batches.

Cheers SJ

There is nothing sacrosanct about the 23 L brew, that just happens to be the old five imperial gallons that became a standard when home brew was revived from the 1970s. The way to look at it is: "what am I going to store my beer in?" and go for multiples of that. If you are kegging then obviously go for multiples of 19L so allowing for a bit of shrinkage go for 40l or 60l batches.
The newer brew books such as Dennis Wheeler's Brew your own UK real ales address this point and have three versions of each recipes, one of them being for the cornie keg size brew.

I BIAB in a 40l urn to go for a 25L brew to go into 12 2L PETS (or nowadays a carton of 6 PETs and a carton of Coopers size PETs for each batch) and that's pushing it believe it or not. I would go for the biggest pot you can boil / afford.

I'd go 70litre. I do double batches in a 50 litre (approx 46-47 litres) and it gets a bit nerve racking when its coming to the boil, theres only a few inches to spare. Once its going its fine.
Cheers
Steve

I would also go for the larger pot.. I have a 60L and regret not getting a larger pot.

Id go the 70 and consider the 96.

If costs allow, go for a bigger kettle. You wont regret it.

Our 100L kettle is great, allows for plenty of different sized batches, but we usually make 55 - 70L batches.

You want a bit of headspace otherwise you are needing to watch it like a hawk for boilovers, plus the foaming that occurs with the addition of hops.

Thanks guys - I'll go the 70L.

Even though most of my batches will still probably be 1 keg's worth, I'd like to be able to do a double batch without worrying about boilovers or watering down.

Go the 70.

I do double batches in a 50L kettle, but it's really living on the edge and requires a deft touch with the gas.

60 would be better. 70 would be oar-some.

The newer brew books such as Dennis Wheeler's Brew your own UK real ales address this point and have three versions of each recipes, one of them being for the cornie keg size brew.

I can only assume you're talking about the Graham Wheeler book "Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home". At least I have that book and yes it does have 3 variants, but it's also not very new, there were some revisions and a republication this year, but the bulk of it was written in 1993. He has many interesting recommendations/techniques.
/ot

As far as batch sizes go, I may as well chuck in that I brew 25L batches, 19L to fill my keg, with 6L left over for trub losses and about 8 LCPA pint bottles worth. So doubles for me would be 2 kegs +6L. My kettle just 50L, I wouldn't even attempt a 44L batch.

+1 With Chappo, Steve and anyone else that said 'go 70lt'.

Like Steve I do double batches in a 50lt and dread boil time when I do 40lt batches as have to watch it carefully and keep the burners low and adjust them a fair bit - would much rather sit back in the shed chair and let it boil with plenty of headroom. Sure beats having to fret about boil-overs and hot wort all over the joint.

Hopper.

For the time it takes to do all grain i would go for 70L, i was making 23L batches in my 70L and was drinking the beer far too quick so i have started double batches and now have all my kegs filled and a couple of cubes.

I shall dissent

You need to look into your future and think about what you are going to brew. If you are really sure you are going to mostly do single batches with an occasional double. Then I'd go the 50L pot. Its lighter and easier to handle, you will get a lower and more manageble evaporation rate, your immersion chiller will work better - generally you will have a pot that is appropriate to your brew size. AND you can do a double in it if you so desire. A bit of foam control and the requirement to pay attention for ten minutes is all thats needed.

If you are unsure and think that there is a chance you will regularly do double batches - why then the 70L is the pot for you.

I have just purchased a new kettle - I am a single batch (which means filling a corny keg for me) brewer, with very rare excursions into double territory and I bought a 60L pot. I wouldn't have bought a 70.

Latest posts

Back