Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fill-o-meter, when I fill 1-2 litres into a bucket it's spot on. When I fill my HLT with 60l either through the ball valve or right over the top, it's 20l out.

I know the markings on my HLT are correct as I weighed each litre of water and also my brews always come out spot on.

Any ideas Kegland?

This seems quite strange. The Fill O Meter should be far more accurate than this and certainly we have got much better results than this in our testing. We do have means of calibration but I don't think this is the issue. I would check your flow rate first. If you have your water running too fast you could have an issue that the flow sensor cannot read that fast. The flow sensor we use has a flow speed range of 1-30L/min so my first guess is that you might be exceeding the 30l/min.

Other areas of error are hose expansion or hose volume. For instance if you have a very long hose you will have some elasticity in the hose that will hold 1-2 litres of water when under pressure. For instance if you have a valve at the end of the hose then the hose is already pressurised then the pressurised hose may dispense as much as 1-2 litres. In addition to this if you have a hose that contains a volume that will drain out this can also give you some error. For instance once the solenoid valve turns off and if you have liquid in the hose that can slowly drain out this can cause some error. With that said these errors caused by the hose are way less than the 20L issue you have so I really think you are probably exceeding the flow speed of the sensor.

@KegLand-com-au - any update on the digital gauge for inline regulator and blowties?
Thanks

The digital regulators are really great and should be available very soon. We are making one more change to the software in the gauge to further improve the battery life. Sorry about this but we really wanted to optimise the battery live as much as possible before we released the product and we worked out a few other small things that we could change that would increase battery life by several more months so we felt that this was wort delaying the release. I think they should be available in about April. We will update the page here when we have a more definite arrival date:

https://www.kegland.com.au/digital-illuminated-mini-gauge-0-90psi-0-6-2bar.html

For those asking questions. I note they are closed till 4th Jan on their website. I hope they are taking a well deserved break over new years. Probably wouldn't expect an answer before then. And happy new years to all those on AHB

Thanks for that. Yes we were all on holiday and ready to get straight back into it. Hope you guys also had a great holiday!

Yes, there may be a set of users who would be more inclined to go with an approach that doesn't involve them doing the fabrication/drilling work, and who would prefer kegland to do the work & testing.

No worries at all. We would be happy to do this for you guys. We have a distributor in Norway that we supply to that stock the pre-drilled lids so we can do this if you would like us to. We have not been requested for this in Australia yet which is the only reason we have not done this yet. I personally find these stepped drill bits very easy to use though:
https://www.kegland.com.au/self-sta...drill-bit-4-22mm-titanium-nitride-coated.html

They deliver a very clean and smooth hole and work great on the lids so it's really not difficult to do.

Are you in Perth? Luke from MWS would fabricate something like the above for you. Pictured below is a kegmenter they fitted out for purge-able dry hopping under pressure. (I have no relation to MWS - just heard good things about his work).

View attachment 119785

That does look pretty awesome and not that difficult to install the additional 2inch ferrule to the keg. At the moment the only kegmenter we have that we stock that has the 2inch ports is this one:

https://www.kegland.com.au/118l-31g...risable-fermenter-or-distillation-boiler.html

We put 2 holes in this 118L design so we could use one to drain the liquid out of and the other for an element for distillation but there would be nothing stopping you from using this design then dry hopping from one of the bottom ports. If we were to get enough demand of this we could possibly put the additional 2inch port on the top of our smaller 29L and 58L kegmenters too. Do you guys want us to do this?

Yes the half shelf is a really good idea. We have been talking about this in the office too and trying to work out what this should look like. We have been thinking about something that can double as a can dispenser on top then underneath it can be used to store wine bottles or beer bottles too. What specifically have you been after? Other than can's, beer bottles, wine bottles do you have any particular thing that you are wanting to store in the fridge? Alternatively just making a wire storage shelf that is modular and enable you to purchase a can dispenser and then stack on a 30cm high shelf for wine bottles or a 20cm high shelf for beer bottles for instance.

double post

Yes the half shelf is a really good idea. We have been talking about this in the office too and trying to work out what this should look like. We have been thinking about something that can double as a can dispenser on top then underneath it can be used to store wine bottles or beer bottles too. What specifically have you been after? Other than can's, beer bottles, wine bottles do you have any particular thing that you are wanting to store in the fridge? Alternatively just making a wire storage shelf that is modular and enable you to purchase a can dispenser and then stack on a 30cm high shelf for wine bottles or a 20cm high shelf for beer bottles for instance.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more the second option of a modular shelf system what you mentioned, for cans and beer bottles but also the odd bottle of wine.

Also I was thinking about this for the series X plus model but it could work with the series X.

That does look pretty awesome and not that difficult to install the additional 2inch ferrule to the keg. At the moment the only kegmenter we have that we stock that has the 2inch ports is this one:

118L (31GALLON) KEGMENTER 304 STAINLESS - UNI TANK - PRESSURISABLE FERMENTER OR DISTILLATION BOILER

We put 2 holes in this 118L design so we could use one to drain the liquid out of and the other for an element for distillation but there would be nothing stopping you from using this design then dry hopping from one of the bottom ports. If we were to get enough demand of this we could possibly put the additional 2inch port on the top of our smaller 29L and 58L kegmenters too. Do you guys want us to do this?
I think it would be better to make a modified 4” TC lid with a 2” TC port and gas/liquid/PRV connections. It allows all users of the current kegmenter to upgrade without needing a new vessel.

The digital regulators are really great and should be available very soon. We are making one more change to the software in the gauge to further improve the battery life. Sorry about this but we really wanted to optimise the battery live as much as possible before we released the product and we worked out a few other small things that we could change that would increase battery life by several more months so we felt that this was wort delaying the release. I think they should be available in about April. We will update the page here when we have a more definite arrival date:

April??? Your inline regulators are basically useless without this (if it works the way you say it will). The worst piece of kit in my entire setup, but what should I expect for $13...........

Why don't you just release a batch and indicate that a v2 with better battery life is to be released? I will be using it once in a blue moon to just set and forget two different pressures across my system and couldn't care less about battery life.

Hi Kegland,

Looking at going down the rabbit hole of kegging so am looking at getting started with something like the fermzilla conical 27L - I like the idea of a unitank for pressure fermenting and then using the same vessel for serving/dispensing.. however, I'm not finding much info though on dispensing directly from the fermzilla.

My question is, in terms of leaving beer in the fermzilla once fermentation is complete, I expect it would be recommended to drop the yeast from it using the collection container to avoid autolysis? I understand the collection container holds 1L - would this need to be connected/emptied several times to get all the yeast out from a typical ale fermentation (pitching a single pack of dry yeast like US05)?

Any other things I should know about/consider? I understand pressure transfers to a separate keg are the done thing, but budget and space limitations have me wanting to try doing this all from one vessel.

Cheers,
Pete

Are you planning a USB-powered version for plugging into a Raspberry Pi or other computer ?

It would be neat if the pressure data was integrated into Keezer management software. I'm sure other applications could be found. RAPT frigde, for example.

This is a good point. The G&G fresh wort kits do sell out frequently. I have just had a talk to the guys looking after purchasing and we are going to increase our float of stock so we do not sell out so frequently in future. I think the G&G fresh wort kits are the best quality ones available. I will send them an email about a Pacific Ale too.

The pacific ale style has a lot to do with dry hopping and late hop additions. Due to how the fresh wort kits are made it's really hard to capture this same flavour and aroma just in fresh wort alone so to really get something similar dry hopping would be necessary. I would recommend that you get this kit here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/artisanale-neipa-bens-lefty-juicy.htmlThen add additional Galaxy hops.

Would be keen to get other thoughts on this from other guys out there. Pacific Ale is a recipe that many other customers are chasing so I am sure other people out there might have something to add to this conversation.

Hi Kegland,

Just following up on this from December, I still see heaps of the G&G kits are out of stock...your website had an expected stock date but that seems to have disappeared.

Can you please let us know how the kit ordering is progressing?

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more the second option of a modular shelf system what you mentioned, for cans and beer bottles but also the odd bottle of wine.

Also I was thinking about this for the series X plus model but it could work with the series X.

Yes this is a good idea. I have just done a bit of a sketch of a free standing shelf that would sit next to the kegs. You would be able to stack a few of these at different heights. So you could have a 90mm one for wine bottles lying on their side, 170mm high shelf for beer cans, 330mm high shelf for wine bottles:

Modular%20Fridge%20Wire%20Shelf.JPG

What do you think of this concept drawing above?

Yes this is a good idea. I have just done a bit of a sketch of a free standing shelf that would sit next to the kegs. You would be able to stack a few of these at different heights. So you could have a 90mm one for wine bottles lying on their side, 170mm high shelf for beer cans, 330mm high shelf for wine bottles:

Modular%20Fridge%20Wire%20Shelf.JPG

What do you think of this concept drawing above?
Would that shelf be adjustable? I.e. would I be able to move it up and down to suit what I wanted to store in the fridge at any given time? Or would I have to buy extra shelves depending whether I currently had tall bottles (wine or longnecks) in the fridge?

Would it be possible to have to the top flat so if there were 2 shelf units side by side in the xplus it would be possible to have a larger flat shelf for larger items? For example, salad bowls or platters, I could use this a selling feature for the better half 😀.

Hi Kegland,

Looking at going down the rabbit hole of kegging so am looking at getting started with something like the fermzilla conical 27L - I like the idea of a unitank for pressure fermenting and then using the same vessel for serving/dispensing.. however, I'm not finding much info though on dispensing directly from the fermzilla.

My question is, in terms of leaving beer in the fermzilla once fermentation is complete, I expect it would be recommended to drop the yeast from it using the collection container to avoid autolysis? I understand the collection container holds 1L - would this need to be connected/emptied several times to get all the yeast out from a typical ale fermentation (pitching a single pack of dry yeast like US05)?

Any other things I should know about/consider? I understand pressure transfers to a separate keg are the done thing, but budget and space limitations have me wanting to try doing this all from one vessel.

Cheers,
Pete

The FermZilla conical 27L is quite a popular fermenter design but I think as of about 12 months ago we now sell more of the All Rounder 30L units. I guess when comparing the two from a technical point of view the conical is more capable but then it's also more parts to clean, more clearance in your fermenting fridge and unless your are collecting and re-using yeast then I am not sure if it's really worth the extra cleaning. The All Rounders are super easy to clean and although you cannot dump out the yeast I really do not think that autolysis is a big issue if you have a healthy and fast fermentation. Many of the new yeast strains are so fast that your beer will be done in under 10 days so this significantly reduces the risk of autolysis anyway. We have a couple of the staff here that have two fermenting fridges with two 30L All Rounders and then ferment in one, then do an oxygen free transfer to the next one where they dry hop. This enables them to drop a second batch onto the yeast cake in the first one and then dry hop in the second one. The advantage of this is that if you did want to re-use yeast you do not have to change yeast from vessel to vessel and also avoid dry hops contaminating the re-used yeast. I think this is a pretty good system to be honest but you need the luxury of two fermenting fridges for this to work.

To answer your question you will probably only need to empty the collection container once or max twice if you are just getting rid of the yeast cake. If you are using lots of hops then this is a different story and if you are making a NEIPA and pitching 300grams of dry hops then you might find yourself emptying the collection container another 2-3 times ontop of this. With respect to US05 I know a lot of people are using this but I would encourage you to try some different yeast strains. ( on a side note: I used to really like US05 but so many new strains have come out from Lallemand it's really worth giving them a try.)

When it comes to dispensing from the FermZilla it's really straight forward. You just need to get the fermzilla pressure kit and you can literally use the FermZilla like a keg:
FermZilla Red Plastic Pressure Kit - Suits Conical and All Rounder Model

I personally find this dip tube filter to be quite handy too:
Floating Dip Tube Filter(80 Mesh 304 Stainless) - For FermZilla or Kegmenter

We also just got these Yellow Carbonation caps too and it's kinda nice to have different coloured posts for gas and liquid. When you have high volume or crud on the fermenter walls it's sometimes difficult to see the dip tube so colour coding the gas and liquid post on the FermZilla is a really good idea.
Yellow Plastic Carbonation & Line Cleaning Cap & FermZilla Pressure Cap

I should also note that none of these single walled PET fermenters are designed for long term storage either. So if you are using any of these clear PET walled vessels as a keg it should only be for a short period. These single walled PET vessels have very very small amount of oxygen transmission through the plastic wall. As a result we would not recommend leaving the beer in the fermenter for more than 2 months. We are in the process of making multi-layer preforms soon but these will be for plastic kegs not fermenters. Once we start using the multi-layer preforms they will exhibit close to 0 oxygen transmission and comparable to glass containers.

Would it be possible to have to the top flat so if there were 2 shelf units side by side in the xplus it would be possible to have a larger flat shelf for larger items? For example, salad bowls or platters, I could use this a selling feature for the better half 😀.

We could make with a flat top but it might not be so good to stack bottles or cans on-top of as they would more easily slide off and fall down the gap between the free standing shelf and your kegs. Also we are using the support around the edge to hold additional stackable shelf units in place so you can stack multiple shelves ontop of each other. So at the moment this conceptual design serves two purposes. If you are using several shelves side by side then you may as well use the provided fridge shelf that comes with the Series 4 or Series X.

Is this still the case? I missed out yet again, so it would be nice if they were consistently in stock.

Yes sorry about this. We are getting high demand not only in Australia but other countries as well for this product. We are in the process of increasing the manufacturing speed but at the moment we have more orders of the Mini Core 360 Actuator Regulator than we are able to manufacture. Now that we have overseas orders for this we are still looking at a shortfall of stock unfortunately. I think in 6 months from now we will have significantly increased the production capacity so that we will be able to keep them in stock consistently but we will still have stock shortage in the near term unfortunately. All I can suggest is just making sure you try and purchase them as soon as they go back online.

We are trying to be fair to all our customers and spread the stock between Australia and other countries at the moment.

Latest posts

Back