Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably better buying the Grainfather or a BZ and waiting until they sell an upgrade kit, i can imagine if/ when they release it it'll be like all the rest of KL's new releases and be just small release batches.
Apparently the shape of the base is going to be different to make it drain better, not something you'll be able to upgrade your old system with.

in addition in a video with a South African supplier, they explained it will have a RAPT controller which is at a similar position to the grain father with full CIP capability and the ability to have additional temp probes in other locations. the 30L could double in price and still be basically half the g40 price, I will be waiting.

Hi @KegLand-com-au, did you see this?

We will have a great solution for dry hopping on the new FermZilla designs. These are getting done now and the dry hopping gear will be compatible with other stuff too such as the BrewBuilt fermenters. With that said I would not recommend dry hops going into a keg.

Kegs are designed to be long term storage vessels of beer and although some customers do add hops to kegs I really cringe at doing this for two reasons:
1. When the hops sits in the keg for a long time it starts to decompose and contributed to grassy off flavours. So you would really want to drink that keg container dry hops withing a few days.
2. The hops get stuck in the draft system in springs, disconnects and other stuff which is also not ideal.

Once beer is transfered to your keg it really should be free of solids (with the exception of a small amount of yeast).

Probably better buying the Grainfather or a BZ and waiting until they sell an upgrade kit, i can imagine if/ when they release it it'll be like all the rest of KL's new releases and be just small release batches.

We should have the BrewZilla Gen 4 available at the end of this year. The upgrade from a Gen 3 will be complicated so I would not recommend purchasing the Gen 3 Brewzilla with the intention to upgrade to Gen 4.

We should have the BrewZilla Gen 4 available at the end of this year. The upgrade from a Gen 3 will be complicated so I would not recommend purchasing the Gen 3 Brewzilla with the intention to upgrade to Gen 4.

But will it be possible? A kit to mount the controller at a higher level would be great - a G3 upgrade to the G4 controller would be nice, but I wouldn't see it as necessary

Hey @KegLand-com-au the new duotight disconnects are 👌question though, do the caps need to be as tight as they are from the factory? Some of them are definitely an effort to get off

@KegLand-com-au have you any plans for making tubing at 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD? Previously I have had to source from the States, I am not sure if there is much call for it here in Oz.

This size is good because the 1/2" OD is good for push fit fittings and the 3/8" ID suits American products, as in SSBrewtech etc.

Thanks

With that said I would not recommend dry hops going into a keg.

Kegs are designed to be long term storage vessels of beer and although some customers do add hops to kegs I really cringe at doing this for two reasons:
1. When the hops sits in the keg for a long time it starts to decompose and contributed to grassy off flavours. So you would really want to drink that keg container dry hops withing a few days.
2. The hops get stuck in the draft system in springs, disconnects and other stuff which is also not ideal.

With all due respect, there are a lot of happy home brewers that keg hop with little to no negative impact. Saying you "really cringe'" at the idea can come across a bit offensive. The whole grassiness argument is sadly misguided after initially being attributed to dry hopping for excessive times at warmer temperatures. Yes, it's important it's done in a way that the hops don't clog up the draft system but there's a lot of evidence out there (e.g. Scott Janish) pertaining to the benefits of keg hopping at cold temperatures.

Not to mention that point #2 makes no sense, as the Fermzilla also has poppet valves with springs, but has cheap plastic shrouds instead of stainless steel. There's otherwise little difference in fermenting in a keg vs. a fermzilla.

The point seems to be more about cringing at fermenting and dispensing from a keg (which wasn't specifically what I asked about, as plenty use kegs to ferment in and then dispense in another vessel). Bit awkward that Kegland advertise doing this directly with a Fermzilla anyway...where "hops get stuck in the draft system in springs, disconnects and other stuff which is also not ideal".

@KegLand-com-au

Any chance you could now stock the Omega Yeast OYL-071 Lutra Kveik dried yeast? I know the liquid version was not a viable option to import but it's available in dry now. I am aware of only 1 other online home brew shop that stocks it (can I link it?). As I've mentioned previously, this yeast is a game changer for providing excellent pseudo lagers and even hard seltzers if that's your jam.

Are you thinking December at this stage? Also when do you think we can learn more about the RAPT platform, in particular around the integration to/from RAPT?

Not to mention that point #2 makes no sense, as the Fermzilla also has poppet valves with springs, but has cheap plastic shrouds instead of stainless steel. There's otherwise little difference in fermenting in a keg vs. a fermzilla.

The point seems to be more about cringing at fermenting and dispensing from a keg (which wasn't specifically what I asked about, as plenty use kegs to ferment in and then dispense in another vessel). Bit awkward that Kegland advertise doing this directly with a Fermzilla anyway...where "hops get stuck in the draft system in springs, disconnects and other stuff which is also not ideal".

My thought is that Kegland took it as though you were adding dry hops straight to a keg to then dispense straight out of. If so, then the comment about hops getting stuck is valid. I'd be fine with some hops getting caught in a quick connect tranfer hose but not a beer line to a tap.
If you are using kegs as fermentors, dry hopping than transferring to a dispensing keg, then just making up a custom lid using the Kegland 3/4"-PCO valve is easy enough.

Either way, whether you use a plastic device with plastic fittings or a keg with stainless ones, there’s a risk of clogged poppets. Doesn’t matter if it’s a device for fermenting or dispensing. You’d have to cold crash and use a floating tube with a filter.

Just amusing that the answer was a really long “no” and an implication to just buy a fermzilla.

The 118LTR Kegmentor. Do we get bungs for our bung holes in the bottom 2" holes with tri clamps?
Only reads the 4" top plate however photos show 2" there but not stated as part of the item.

How much head space would be to much under pressure fermentation just worried about how much i can lift now and in 10 years time.

https://www.kegland.com.au/118l-31g...risable-fermenter-or-distillation-boiler.html

Yes the 2" Blanking plate and tri-clover clamp comes included with this fermenter.

If you are not opening the lid mid fermentation then dead head space is not really an issue. One of the issues with dead head space is when you open the lid it's hard to evacuate the oxygen out of the head space but if you are not opening the lid then this is not an issue.

We do also have some new dry hop equipment that will arrive soon that will enable you to dry hop more easily without as much oxygen exposure and this might also reduce this issue too.

The silence is the answer.

Yes we will eventually get the RAPT products to work with Brewfather and it seems that Thomas Gangsøy is keen to work with us on this one but we have not finished the API for our RAPT products. Once our API is completed we Thomas will be able to start on Brewfather integration.

@KegLand-com-au will the API documentation be publically available?

They'd be shooting themselves in the leg if the API was not well documented and published to any interested party. There's no point building a platform and then not letting people use it to create solutions.

I can guarantee that Kegland will not be able to satisfy all the feature requests coming from their users. Having an open platform would allow Kegland to concentrate on the core features while third parties can experiment with all sorts of fancy features. Over time, the most successful third party stuff can be migrated into the core, especially if the API is published under an Open Source license.

Latest posts

Back