Keggle Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question. Has anybody put hard rubber door trim around the opening of a cut keg. I was wanting to do this as it will protect me against the cut edge and I was also going to use the top of the keg as a lid and it would make a nice seal. Is there any reason that this may not be a good idea.

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-seals...-mouldings.html

Hey guys, just a quick question. Has anybody put hard rubber door trim around the opening of a cut keg. I was wanting to do this as it will protect me against the cut edge and I was also going to use the top of the keg as a lid and it would make a nice seal. Is there any reason that this may not be a good idea.

</a> <a href="http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-seals-and-mouldings/seals-and-mouldings.html" target="_blank">http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-seals...-mouldings.html
IMO yopud just be better off rounding the edge of with a file or using some food grade silicone. easier and probably cheaper.

edit: no reason why your suggestion woudlnt work though

IMO yopud just be better off rounding the edge of with a file or using some food grade silicone. easier and probably cheaper. no reason why it woudlnt work though

+1 surprisingly easy to get a smooth edge on the cut opening, even with my tooltardedness i get a very smooth edge that i can run my fingers around without fear of catching any burrs.

For the ten minutes effort with a file and a sanding block, not worth any other solution.

Edit: IMO

Its more for the reason of creating a nice seal between the lid and the keg. It was just a bonus that it protects against cuts

As already said, just clean the cut up with a file/ flap sander. It comes up a treat and no nasty little edges/cracks for dirt/shit to hide in.

Also with the cutout top as a lid, it is exactly what I did. We just welded 4 tabs onto it and it drops back on no problems. It was going to be a temp measure until I got lids, but has become permanant. It actually seals faily good.

Worlds best pic of lid design <_<
lid.JPG

QldKev

I've got something similar on my mash tun (former 50ltr keg style vessel). Works well.

Cheers SJ

Its more for the reason of creating a nice seal between the lid and the keg. It was just a bonus that it protects against cuts

Then i reckon if it's for that, then just add it to the lid and not the keg. But by all means give it a crack, can't hurt.

I have lids on my keggles. I cut the hole same size as the lid and the seal is pretty good. Having an airtight seal is probably not necessary, but may make a minor difference to ramping times

As already said, just clean the cut up with a file/ flap sander. It comes up a treat and no nasty little edges/cracks for dirt/shit to hide in.

Also with the cutout top as a lid, it is exactly what I did. We just welded 4 tabs onto it and it drops back on no problems. It was going to be a temp measure until I got lids, but has become permanant. It actually seals faily good.

Worlds best pic of lid design <_<
View attachment 41570

QldKev
:super: +1 . got that exact thing over here

Get yourself a ******* file.

A bit of elbow grease will smooth that ******* out. That's what I did.

Know people who've done the flap sander and you get an even smoother result, saw one recently at a Club Brew and was impressed - looked like the hole had been plasma cut it was that clean.

If you don't seal your rubber right around the rim you would wind up with a pesky nook for spent grain husks to hide.
You want to keep it simple (without adding rubber) so it's easy to clean IMHO.

Hopper.

Know people who've done the flap sander and you get an even smoother result, saw one recently at a Club Brew and was impressed - looked like the hole had been plasma cut it was that clean.

Yep, thats what i used except the 'circle' isnt a textbook example of a Da Vinci Circle :rolleyes:

The next one i do i'l make sure i get it a little better. the flap sander is also good to get rid of any surface rust on stainless vessels if its been sliding around on mild steel.

18keg4.jpg

do the rounds of the 2nd hand shops for lids, this one's off a wok.

cheers

you can get new tempered glass lids from Target 28cm diameter for $12 each IIRC... perfect for Tooheys style taller kegs.

Got 3 of em

you can get new tempered glass lids from Target 28cm diameter for $12 each IIRC... perfect for Tooheys style taller kegs.

Got 3 of em

Thanks for the tip argon! Will go and grab a couple of them tonight.

Cheers

Clint

Got 3 of em

+1 For the glass lids. I grabbed a few of these from ikea, they had a variety of sizes and were pretty cheap also. I grabbed them before I started cutting and just used them as a stencil

Hi Chopdog
I've got a keg mashtun and I did cut the top of as well , for easy cleaning ,and I used 2 pizza tray's for a lid , and some camping foam between and a cupboard handle to keep it together , and for a desent seal so I don't loose to much heat I used water pipe foam insulation tube , the black stuff and split it so it nicely sits over the edge and lid sits nicely over that

Cheers Phil :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back