Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it out. There's some sort of cam-type action in that when taken off the shank, the flow control cone will oscillate continuously.

Took tap off. Turned control knob around. Replaced.

After a night of bottling a saison, I was on a roll, so I finally set up my Micromatic regulator (& check valve of course!).
Finished it just then. It's late, I'm tired, but it's a cause for celebration with a small serving of Bad Santa IPA from the keg.

Cheers Mike (a fellow HBGer) for the lend of your regulator in the meantime.

Running off Sodastream bottles for the present and forseable future. So far it's going well.

My kegerator is now operational, however I've got a few jobs to do. Firstly, I need silicon (or similar) to seal around the gas line which goes through the side of the fridge. Secondly, I need to work out whether installing a shelf for the kegs or hacking at the door is the best way to fit the maximum amount of kegs in. Thirdly, I need to get rid of the non-beer items. Lastly, I'm thinking that the fridge looks a bit plain so could do with chalkboard paint or similar.

Outside view:

gallery_2743_249_132788.jpg

Ceiling of the fridge. I installed the gas manifold here as it made the best use of the space. The gas lines then run down the back of the fridge.

gallery_2743_249_170088.jpg

Standard inside view. Another job is to work out the best arrangement of shelves, although I can worry about that if/when I have any bottle conditioned beers.

gallery_2743_249_252869.jpg

I've recently just moved my workshop kegerator into a newer upright freezer to try and save some power. I've still got the keg king one in the house. Anyone who read my power consumption thread, this is the pigeon pair I swapped from our kitchen and we got a double door job to replace them.

Old fridge worked out at about $243 a year in power, measured end of winter. The new one is averaging about $120 a year in the middle of summer, but I expect the average to drop a bit more once I'm not playing with it setting it up. I think it should drop to under $99 a year. 5 kegs on the top shelf, and plenty of good hop storage under it.

Pics also showing the fermenting fridge setup

front.jpg

inside.jpg

QldKev

QldKevSorry to take it off topic a touch, but I am looking at doing exactly hat you have done with an upright freezer I have recently acquired. How have you attached the tap, is it counter sunk on the inside as I can't seem to see a locking nut. If this is the case is their any escape of cold air in that area, are you happy you Did that rather than install a longer shank that would fit all the way through??? As I said, curious as I need to make similar decisions.givemeamash

I've recently just moved my workshop kegerator into a newer upright freezer to try and save some power. I've still got the keg king one in the house. Anyone who read my power consumption thread, this is the pigeon pair I swapped from our kitchen and we got a double door job to replace them.

Old fridge worked out at about $243 a year in power, measured end of winter. The new one is averaging about $120 a year in the middle of summer, but I expect the average to drop a bit more once I'm not playing with it setting it up. I think it should drop to under $99 a year. 5 kegs on the top shelf, and plenty of good hop storage under it.

Pics also showing the fermenting fridge setup

View attachment 59762

View attachment 59763

QldKev

QldKevSorry to take it off topic a touch, but I am looking at doing exactly hat you have done with an upright freezer I have recently acquired. How have you attached the tap, is it counter sunk on the inside as I can't seem to see a locking nut. If this is the case is their any escape of cold air in that area, are you happy you Did that rather than install a longer shank that would fit all the way through??? As I said, curious as I need to make similar decisions.givemeamash

I used a short shank, and dug out the inner skin and insulation, then locked it up tight onto the outer skin. It's the same shank/tap I had on the last fridge.
mount_1.jpg

Insulation is just an old chux wipe. Looks rude in that pic :lol:
Later I may get a bit of white plastic to put over the top.
mount_2.jpg

Also I needed to brace the shelves to take the weight, 5 kegs is about 100kg and a shelve isn't designed for that. The center I put a full brace across, and the 6 legs down. Even the second shelve down I supported the sides as I found the sides of the freezer would flex and let the shelve drop. If you have a close look in the original post at the second pic you will see where the shelve had dropped a bit before I put the extra bracing in place. The lower bracing is ply so my basket can still fit in. That insulation gets everywhere, it looks like there is some in the plastic box next to the hops.
brace1.jpg

Even got the plumbing cleaned up
plumbing1.jpg

ps. My hops are not just dropped in those zip lock bags. They are in vac bags that have been put into large zip lock bags to keep them together.

Has anyone out there adapted a wine barrel into a keg fridge ?

I'm after ideas/advice for a two keg barrel fridge build.

PM if you can help.

Cheers,

Dan :icon_cheers:

Has anyone out there adapted a wine barrel into a keg fridge ?

I'm after ideas/advice for a two keg barrel fridge build.

PM if you can help.

Cheers,

Dan :icon_cheers:

On the ebay v5 thread back last Oct/Nov there was a link to someone selling a setup. Have a look in there because it had a few great pics of it.

QldKev

Cheers Kev, I saw that too.
I messaged the seller but they just said a friend built it for them...not helpful <_<
I'm after ideas on how to incorporate fridge components into the barrel mainly, the pics of theirs didn't help much with that.
I'll keep searching.... :icon_cheers:

Cheers Kev, I saw that too.
I messaged the seller but they just said a friend built it for them...not helpful <_<
I'm after ideas on how to incorporate fridge components into the barrel mainly, the pics of theirs didn't help much with that.
I'll keep searching.... :icon_cheers:

Hey mate, not sure if it's much help, but I was looking into this a while ago.

The idea I came up with was to get one of those beer can shaped fridges. They weren`t deep enough, but I found a place on the net that was selling ones that were no longer working, real cheap. The plan was to get one that was working and then make a collar for it using the broken one.

I think it would`ve been big enough to fit 2 kegs and a soda stream canister. I did the measurements at the time and it all seemed to work - on paper.

Obiviously this was with a pretty big barrel (can't remember exact size) but it was to double as a bar.
Dunno how it'd go expelling heat, but there was a bit of room.

Hey mate, not sure if it's much help, but I was looking into this a while ago.

The idea I came up with was to get one of those beer can shaped fridges. They weren`t deep enough, but I found a place on the net that was selling ones that were no longer working, real cheap. The plan was to get one that was working and then make a collar for it using the broken one.

I think it would`ve been big enough to fit 2 kegs and a soda stream canister. I did the measurements at the time and it all seemed to work - on paper.

Obiviously this was with a pretty big barrel (can't remember exact size) but it was to double as a bar.
Dunno how it'd go expelling heat, but there was a bit of room.

Hey Max,
The cylinder fridges were what I was considering too.
There was a redbull one on eBay last week, not working, which went for $15.50. Might have been worth bidding on but the seller wouldn't reply to my request for outside diameter measurements.
I don't suppose you know the measurements? And also whether there are any working parts in the walls ?
I was thinking of cutting one down as much as possible and fitting it at the bottom of the barrel, or in a plinth which the barrel sits on, if I need more space.
If you also remember that website, that'd be helpful too.
Cheers :icon_cheers:
Dan

didn't want to drill a hole in the door so I put the tap on the inside. marine ply with 4 coats of an outdoor varnish. I need to add a drip tray and there is room for a second tap.

cheers steve
fridgesetup_zps03593859.jpg

Rukh said:
My kegerator is now operational, however I've got a few jobs to do. Firstly, I need silicon (or similar) to seal around the gas line which goes through the side of the fridge.
You can use fermenter airlock grommets (from your LHBS). You might need to enlarge the hole a bit on either side. But you just use two grommets, one on either side of the hole, then squeeze the gas line through.

Neat, and airtight. (works on a fermenter right ;))

matho said:
didn't want to drill a hole in the door so I put the tap on the inside. marine ply with 4 coats of an outdoor varnish. I need to add a drip tray and there is room for a second tap.

cheers steve
fridgesetup_zps03593859.jpg
I find a solid board like that will quite effectively prevent the cooling coild from chilling the bottom half of the fridge...

you finding any issues with that?

I think the fridge with a bar inside is awesome tho! you certainly wont be suffering from hot taps!

the original shelves were solid plastic with about a 1/2 inch gap at the back so I traced around one for the wooden shelf. I have almost finished the drip tray and then I'll give it a go

cheers steve

matho said:

cheers steve
That is way too classy to be hidden inside a fridge.

Very nice!

I have given the sodastream bottles the flick. I bought a 2.6kg gas bottle and now i have to mount it up :)

I plan to get my keg setup complete this summer. It is fully outdoors (no roof over) so I am chasing tips on how to construct and weather proof this. I will most likely be going with a chest freezer setup.

Thoughts?

cubbie if i were you, i would be trying to creat some sort of shade structure man, unless you can get your hands on some 150mm cold room planel to clad your keezer, she will really be under the pump trying to keep cool at the ideal 5*c , and will more than likely shit itself befor long while really chewing the electricty . what is the aspect ? will it be in full sun all day ? if so , think of the ol saying, an ice cubes chance in hell .

cold room panel, 50x50 ali angle, pop rivets, silicon, would give you insulation and waterproof.
coragated tin sheeting + a frame would give you shade + waterproof

just a couple of options i can think of at the moment, but i would be trying to get her under cover or inside for longterm use .

whats swmbo like ? wack it in the bedroom mate :super:

Back