Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another couple of pics.. Picked up a new camera, trying it out!

image.jpg

image.jpg

After some thoughts for my portakeg setup.

Just sat togeather for now, top has been sanded and needs coating, but honestly I'm not sure what to do with the PVC. I was thinking blackboard black, but perhaps just a square to write the contents on. Would like to do a solid colour, as that suits my artistic skill. Thoughts?

8248583673_8fcd036b71_c.jpg

8248577685_79c2350247_c.jpg

DA tap and font, total of about $60 :)

Vortex mate was just wondering where you got the storm water piping to make the portable system? Keen to get one knocked out for chrissy on the deck.

Cheers Sean

Vortex mate was just wondering where you got the storm water piping to make the portable system? Keen to get one knocked out for chrissy on the deck.

Cheers Sean
I actually got it from a local brewer who had some spare; but any large plumbing store (Reece) should have it. Unsure if they'll be able to sell by the meter though. It's the 300mm PVC.

I actually got it from a local brewer who had some spare; but any large plumbing store (Reece) should have it. Unsure if they'll be able to sell by the meter though. It's the 300mm PVC.
Does it sit okay? It's not too top-heavy is it?
Looks cool though!

Vortex,

Did you decide what to do to hide the PVC ???

I think painting would be a PITA, it would scratch easy on the PVC and being where it is it may cop a few bumps from stray feet, moving etc.

Have you thought about wrapping it in something ? You can get some pretty flash and real looking vinyl flooring (timber grain maybe?). Not sure how you would hide the seam though. Probable be cheap as chips for an off cut.

Does it sit okay? It's not too top-heavy is it?
Looks cool though!

No, it seems OK. It certainly won't be top heavy with a keg inside and some ice.

Vortex,

Did you decide what to do to hide the PVC ???

I think painting would be a PITA, it would scratch easy on the PVC and being where it is it may cop a few bumps from stray feet, moving etc.

Have you thought about wrapping it in something ? You can get some pretty flash and real looking vinyl flooring (timber grain maybe?). Not sure how you would hide the seam though. Probable be cheap as chips for an off cut.

A vinyl wrap is a top idea! I hadn't considered that, but that sure would be easier than getting paint all over the place. I had planned to paint the PVC and then just cover it with various brewing related stickers, but I'll look into the vinyl wrap idea some more. A mate has a matte-black vinyl wrapped race car, he's probably got some off cuts :)

No, it seems OK. It certainly won't be top heavy with a keg inside and some ice.

A vinyl wrap is a top idea! I hadn't considered that, but that sure would be easier than getting paint all over the place. I had planned to paint the PVC and then just cover it with various brewing related stickers, but I'll look into the vinyl wrap idea some more. A mate has a matte-black vinyl wrapped race car, he's probably got some off cuts :)

If you're going to wrap it in vinyl, you might as well wrap it in a layer of insulating foam/camping mat or something first, then the layer of vinyl. It'll help keep the ice/beer cold for longer.

I like the idea of the rectangular board - I've been on the look out for a round one for weeks and haven't found one (at least I haven't found one that's not a fancy shmancy proper cutting board that costs more than a keg...)

I like the idea of the rectangular board - I've been on the look out for a round one for weeks and haven't found one (at least I haven't found one that's not a fancy shmancy proper cutting board that costs more than a keg...)

Yep I wanted a round one too, but they're hard to find. I have no woodworking skills, but I'm sure that kind of thing wouldn't be hard to knock up. I ended up spending far too much on what I have (I'm stupid and impatient like that), when I could have probably got a very nice piece of wood like tassie oak from a timber place for about the same price.

I've put a coat of polyurethane on the board now, starting to look great. Needs a sand and another coat but its looking better than in the pics now.

I got my font, taps and kegs a few days ago the chest freezer was delivered yesterday (fits 6 kegs nicely plus room on the hump) and a few other bits and pieces have finally been dispatched and should be here by the end of the week...

I only need a reg, CO2 bottle, gas and beer line, clamps to hold it all together (possibly a 3 way gas manafold too) and then clad the old chest freezer in wood to make it look nice and knock everything together... Should be easy done before new years... <_< :lol:

Nice work, but it seems to be missing something..........hmmm........... maybe some glitter.......... oh look! You have some!!!!!! :D

Was waiting to see if anyone else noticed that ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think that a drip tray will be next on the list. The SWMBO will only allow a tea towel on the floor for so long... And as the the glitter, I guess thats just one of the perks disadvantages of living in an art studio.

When you care about it, it's to stop beer.

That's not an air application ;)

Everyone uses them... No one complains of a failure.

I would not worry about it

I am trying to design a nice looking clad around my soon to be keezer. I have a basic design that I knocked this up today on a free trial on SketchList 3d Pro. Its easier than cad but I don't know if its quicker. Anyway I have knocked up a nice base, for best viewing click on the blue and green box/square thing and select Shaded Illustration It will show each individual piece of wood instead of a flat surface.

I would like to clad it in a hardwood and was thinking floorboards (something like Spotted Gum) could work but I have not bought anything but cheap pine (and only from Bunnings lol) for a very long time so I have no idea where or how to look. I am going to need quite a bit to clad the front sides and top 60 linear meters would be a good guess and at around $8 a meter it adds up to $480 just for the cladding, so unless someone knows of a cheaper option that is not going to happen.

Anyway this is what I have so fare going to knock up the lid after posting this. I hope someone knows a better solution than floorboards :) I should also add that my freezer has the heat exchange element thingy on the back and not through the body of the freezer.

View attachment Keezer_frame_1.pdf

OvIOQ.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Link to Bunnings floorboards added.

Attachments

• Keezer.png
    Keezer.png
    466.9 KB · Views: 30
60 linear meters would be a good guess and at around $8 a meter it adds up to $480 just for the cladding

1. Hard way:
- Go to a timber yard.
- Decent hard wood balcony / flooring should be around $3-5 a meter.

2. Dodgy way:
- Construction sites have good wood.

3. Bodgy way:
- MDF with vinyl

4. Worthwhile way:
- Use pine and hit it with a decent dark stain.

Latest posts

Back