Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to know whether those eBay well quip freezers are still running strongly, to my recollection hsb and punkin use them. Does any body else have one of these freezers and if so what is your experience?

Mine is a beauty. i logged the internal temp controller and the mashmaster one with a uhb logger and the mashmaster one is hands down the better system (similar to the stc 1000). I have the probe in a plastic water bottle full of water that has a copper thermowell in it.

Very happy with the unit. It does get a little condensation, but that's probably the way i built the collar etc.

Cheers punkin, good to hear.

It's a shame that the built in temperature controller is not very good though, I saw it as a cost saver by not having to buy an STC1000.

Don't get me wrong, it works just fine. But it cycles on an off much more frequently as it's measuring the temp on the side of the box, not the temp of the actual beer.

If you do as i have done with an immersed probe the keezer is only reacting to changes in the liquid temp, so it's on much less frequently for a longer time instead of much more often for short bursts. i believe this to be better for averaging the temp of the beer and much better for extending the life of the freezer.

about time i uploaded a pic of my keg setup. A little embarassed considering all the awesome ones in this 120 page post but what the heck.... it's beer, it's cold, it's got nice taps with a font cooling fan setup and it fits nice and snug in my apartment :)

IMG_0361.JPG

Hi All,

So my diamond tipped drillbit arrived tonight, I drilled the holes and the Font is installed. It's not flooded (yet) but will be as soon as I can get a hold of a pump to circulate the flooding lines and a few fittings. The Keezer is one that I picked up free, it's an old one that doesn't have a "hump" inside so I had to add a collar to accomodate the kegs. It's holding a nice comfortable 5 degrees, although my temp sensor isn't in a thermowell (yet) so the compressor is cycling a little more than I would like.

As soon as the flooding lines are hooked up, the whole python will be wrapped in 20mm thick insulation to keep the lines cool. The keezer sits just around the corner from the bar, so the "exposed" line length is about 1.5-2m.

Here are some pictures:
TIU93JNl.jpg

rZbMRGNl.jpg

3oUcJE3l.jpg

RX2SrJnl.jpg

k6dysXDl.jpg

BTW: The red liquid is sugar-free raspberry fizz. My girlfriend can't drink sugared drinks, so it's much much cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of sugar free cordial and make up a keg than it is to buy the sugar free softdrink. This way I get to have my font and 3 beers on tap (when I eventually get more taps) while keeping the OH happy with her drink on one.

The eventual plan is to replace the brumby taps with 4 Andale Floryte taps.

Cheers,
Josh

Budron said:
That's an impressive font mate!

Where'd you get it?
eBay - I've been keeping an eye out for a font that I like, saw this one and got it for the right price.

I also picked up one Floryte tap which I decided to swap over tonight, so now I just need to get two more snaplocks and 3 more Florytes

That's awesome! Do you mind if i asked what you paid for it?

Thanks, I'm in the market and don't really know what they are worth.

Will be keeping an eye out of evil bay now!

Doc said:
Here is inside the freezer.

attachicon.gif
attachment

Here is just the lid up from another angle to show the internal and external collar.

attachicon.gif
attachment

And here are the lines in the beer line trunking etc.

attachicon.gif
attachment

Beers,
Doc
hey mate,

i got given a few kegs that look like the older one in this pic, i think its a firestone keg, i've been unable to find ball lock posts for them though, do you know where i can get them?

zindello said:
eBay - I've been keeping an eye out for a font that I like, saw this one and got it for the right price.I also picked up one Floryte tap which I decided to swap over tonight, so now I just need to get two more snaplocks and 3 more Florytes
lol.. Once you go flo you never go back.

stretch69 said:
hey mate,

i got given a few kegs that look like the older one in this pic, i think its a firestone keg, i've been unable to find ball lock posts for them though, do you know where i can get them?
Every time someone buys these things I have to post this link http://www.stainlesstanks.com.au/html/postmix_kegs.html#Prices, make it easier on me, I love these kegs just give them to me! (end rant) Great kegs those guys have all the fittings you need

MastersBrewery said:
Every time someone buys these things I have to post this link http://www.stainlesstanks.com.au/html/postmix_kegs.html#Prices, make it easier on me, I love these kegs just give them to me! (end rant) Great kegs those guys have all the fittings you need
Awesome, thanks heaps for the quick reply,

My dad gave me three of them so pretty happy, mine dont have the rubber bottom though so i'm guessing they're pretty old, still in good condition though. I just need to get the liquid and gas posts. How come you love these kegs so much haha?, is it just me or do they seem pretty expensive? $400 each. Ive got two corny's going atm, i just want them to all be interchangeable

zindello said:
Hi All,

So my diamond tipped drillbit arrived tonight, I drilled the holes and the Font is installed. It's not flooded (yet) but will be as soon as I can get a hold of a pump to circulate the flooding lines and a few fittings. The Keezer is one that I picked up free, it's an old one that doesn't have a "hump" inside so I had to add a collar to accomodate the kegs. It's holding a nice comfortable 5 degrees, although my temp sensor isn't in a thermowell (yet) so the compressor is cycling a little more than I would like.
As soon as the flooding lines are hooked up, the whole python will be wrapped in 20mm thick insulation to keep the lines cool. The keezer sits just around the corner from the bar, so the "exposed" line length is about 1.5-2m.
Here are some pictures:
TIU93JNl.jpg

rZbMRGNl.jpg

3oUcJE3l.jpg

RX2SrJnl.jpg

k6dysXDl.jpg

BTW: The red liquid is sugar-free raspberry fizz. My girlfriend can't drink sugared drinks, so it's much much cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of sugar free cordial and make up a keg than it is to buy the sugar free softdrink. This way I get to have my font and 3 beers on tap (when I eventually get more taps) while keeping the OH happy with her drink on one.

The eventual plan is to replace the brumby taps with 4 Andale Floryte taps.

Cheers,
Josh
Where is the condensation going to drain off when you flood the font??

dicko said:
Where is the condensation going to drain off when you flood the font??
Heh, I'm glad you asked.

At this stage, it's not :( Longer term plans though are to "tile in" a small drip tray around the font area to the top of the bar, to handle any condensation coming off the font. I am keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced drip tray that I like the look of, but for now, it's probably just going to be easier to attach a thin (maybe 5mm?) strip of tiles/plastic to the bar to keep the condensation contained, so that it can in turn be mopped up.

I've been told that the condensation shouldn't cause too much run-off, so who knows. I might get away with just wiping the top of the bar once or twice a day.

Latest posts

Back