Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit lame compared to some of the setups in here, but this is my work in progress... which has turned out to be quite a PITA so far. When I first go the fridge, it was a bit flaky but eventually came good... so I painted it, replaced the door lining, built the shelf etc and it wouldn't start, just kept tripping the RCD. Turned out to be a short in the thermostat/light fitting or something, but now that's gone it runs fine (and doesn't stop :-D).

The other nuisance is that I was hoping to put three taps on the there (it now fits four kegs), but the shanks/lines would hit the kegs :-(

Still to be done is installing a shank for the gas in, probably through the side with a corny QD post. I also have a secondary reg so I can run two different pressures..

kegerator_front.jpeg

kegerator_inside.jpeg

A bit lame compared to some of the setups in here, but this is my work in progress... which has turned out to be quite a PITA so far. When I first go the fridge, it was a bit flaky but eventually came good... so I painted it, replaced the door lining, built the shelf etc and it wouldn't start, just kept tripping the RCD. Turned out to be a short in the thermostat/light fitting or something, but now that's gone it runs fine (and doesn't stop :-D).

The other nuisance is that I was hoping to put three taps on the there (it now fits four kegs), but the shanks/lines would hit the kegs :-(

Still to be done is installing a shank for the gas in, probably through the side with a corny QD post. I also have a secondary reg so I can run two different pressures..

Not lame at all mate, looks brutal, I reckon! - good work!

If it fits 4 kegs, why not just run 3... Sit the 2 serving kegs at the back and one conditioning, or what ever, front middle and the 2 taps spread to the sides, so the shanks avoid the one/keg in the middle at the front?

Does that even make sense...

2c.

If the shank it clashing with the kegs, maybe something like I have done in my fridge conversion could help. JG fittings work a treat and allow me to snugly fit 4 kegs into my fridge (with ony mm to spare at the front!)

Can you drop the front 2 kegs down on the floor and have the back ones up high? (hard to tell but that may give enough room)

If the shank it clashing with the kegs, maybe something like I have done in my fridge conversion could help. JG fittings work a treat and allow me to snugly fit 4 kegs into my fridge (with ony mm to spare at the front!)

Yeah that could work. Would just need to find some shorter shanks...

Can you drop the front 2 kegs down on the floor and have the back ones up high? (hard to tell but that may give enough room)

Not without doing something pretty clever with the shelf for the ones at the back.. the compressor hump comes about half-way from the back, i.e. a keg deep. Some kind of L-shaped shelf might work, not sure how I could make it strong enough. For now I might just put one tap e.g. to the right and just have three kegs in there (or the 4th could be a mini keg).

Yeah that could work. Would just need to find some shorter shanks...

Not without doing something pretty clever with the shelf for the ones at the back.. the compressor hump comes about half-way from the back, i.e. a keg deep. Some kind of L-shaped shelf might work, not sure how I could make it strong enough. For now I might just put one tap e.g. to the right and just have three kegs in there (or the 4th could be a mini keg).

Do that so I can come over for a beer. :icon_cheers:
Have a chat to Ross if you've got the door thickness at hand regarding the shanks, it could also be worthwhile driving over to Andale and seeing what second hand taps/shanks they have on hand.

Im up and running again....

med_gallery_10325_462_33272.jpg

med_gallery_10325_462_21691.jpg

med_gallery_10325_462_39563.jpg

And now having seen it up close and personal, tis a nice set up indeed. Now on the hunt for a bigger fridge on freecycle and will have to pay attention to scam-e-bay to get a decent six tap font. Would be nice to have my beer fridge in the family room or kitchen.

Thinking of stealing your concept, but will add the same timber panelling to the fridge that you have used on the font mounting table to disguise the fridge. Will have to also think about how to solve the condensation issue on the lines from fridge to font, maybe doubling or tripling the amount of insulation?

I did buy extra timber, but I'm going to change over the fridge at some stage, so it stats white for now

A pair of fermenter grommets and a 12mm hole should do. Just use the grometts on teh inner and outer skin, then you can just pass your 8mm line etc, through the grommets. Makes a nice airtight seal, and if you want, use a JG or some other fitting to enable disconnecting.

A pair of fermenter grommets and a 12mm hole should do. Just use the grometts on teh inner and outer skin, then you can just pass your 8mm line etc, through the grommets. Makes a nice airtight seal, and if you want, use a JG or some other fitting to enable disconnecting.

Yeah, I was going to do that, but I already have one of these MFL shanks. Figured it might be neat to take it a step further and be able to pop my gas bottle on and off -- could come in handy.

My latest set up. Stillneeds a bit of organising on the inside. It will fit 3 x 19L kegs in the bottom section and 1 19L or my squat 50L on the top section, I just need to build a support for the shelf before using the 50L keg.
Also gives plenty of room for bottles in the door shelves as well. Plus plenty of room for hops and glasses in the freezer.
Misses is still a bit dirty that this fridge wasn't as "fucked" as we thought it was. Not my fault the fan in the back started working again once I moved it downstairs.
Need to paint the beer room now and build the bar.

edit = stuffed the pic file

keg_01.jpg

keg_02.jpg

keg_03.jpg

Looks nice, but those shelves look like a disaster waiting to happen.

I would be cutting some out of something more substaintial if it was me.

Looks nice, but those shelves look like a disaster waiting to happen.

I would be cutting some out of something more substaintial if it was me.
The bottom shelf is checker plate. Will be making the same for the top shelf as well.

Cheers

I have a similar fridge, though it's Samsung not LG.

On my fridge the little ridges that hold the shelves are just foam filled plastic lining. There's no metal bit that you'd naturally expect the plastic moulds around. With that in mind if I was in your position I'd be careful and try to design your shelf support so that it uses a bigger surface area or even extends down towards the floor or something.

Will have to also think about how to solve the condensation issue on the lines from fridge to font, maybe doubling or tripling the amount of insulation?

fraser_john,

you can use armaflex pipe insulation to solve this problem, choose your inside diameter based on the number of beer/glycol lines, wall thickness of 25mm should be fine, i have a run of 4 metres from fridge to font carrying 4 beer lines and 2 glycol lines and i dont get any condensation

wrap glad wrap around the beer lines before passing through the armaflex, then use some lube to help get it through, make sure you tell your wife what the lube is for so she doesnt start thinking the wrong things when you have your friends over ;)

run some silicone between the joints of armaflex and then some pvc tape after the silicone cures

also consider catching the condensation from the base of the font, if you have a flooded font, it will condense, so your drip tray needs to go all the way to the base of the font, not just under the taps

another thing to note is that you may get some condensation underneath where the base of the font pierces through the benchtop, run the armaflex all the way over the threaded section of the font base and then spray some expandable foam around where it meets the underside of the bench, this helps insulate the cold from transferring through the bench

I have a similar fridge, though it's Samsung not LG.

On my fridge the little ridges that hold the shelves are just foam filled plastic lining. There's no metal bit that you'd naturally expect the plastic moulds around. With that in mind if I was in your position I'd be careful and try to design your shelf support so that it uses a bigger surface area or even extends down towards the floor or something.
Yep thats what I done with the bottom shelf. You can sort of see it in the first pic, I have the checker plate sitting on the back hump and support by the top of the plastic slots and another piece of checker plate as a support in the centre going to the floor of the fridge.

Not quite sure on how to do the top shelf. I have a couple of ideas, one being to drill through the sides and put some heavy bolts through to act as pin supports for the shelf. There shouldn't be any thing running through the sides as the electrics and cooling comes from the back but i will check first just in case.

Cheers

Finally got some pics of my setup

Keg1-1.png

Under the hood. Blue LED case fans make it look futuristic! STC-1000 stuck on the side with velcro.

IMG_0039.jpg

IPA, Galaxy APA, AIPA and an ESB.

IMG_7385.jpg

Back