Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't built a keezer myself but it seems to me that it would be pretty hard to keep the taps themselves as cold on the outside as the rest of the set up on the inside. However, if you are able to keep the whole length of the line/shank cold all the way to the inside edge of the collar then you'll probably have minimal foaming issues anyway. As mentioned a fan circulating the air inside the keezer is a good idea.

I've got a kegerator with a flooded font on top of it so the taps are a good foot or more above the fridge itself and don't really have any problems with foaming. They do pour a small amount first up but it's not like half a glass worth or anything. A keezer would be a lot better than my setup in that regard so I don't think you've got much to worry about.

I'll bow to experience on that, not having a keezer. However if I am in a situation where I build one, I'll definitely be putting a fan or two in it.

nosco said:
I dont think you necessarily neednlonger shanks but you definitely need a fan imho.
If i could build my keezer again id put the freezer hinges on the colar and make that the lid and if possible put hinges on to the colar and the freezer lid so you can still use it. With a latch on the inside to hold it down while the colar is open. Easier to put kegs and the hoses are tucked away in the colar but you still have easy access to the taps and hoses through the top.

I think this is a great idea - it's going in the build

nosco said:
I dont think you necessarily neednlonger shanks but you definitely need a fan imho.

If i could build my keezer again id put the freezer hinges on the colar and make that the lid and if possible put hinges on to the colar and the freezer lid so you can still use it. With a latch on the inside to hold it down while the colar is open. Easier to put kegs and the hoses are tucked away in the colar but you still have easy access to the taps and hoses through the top.
I've built my keezer so the bottom of the lid hinge bolts into the top bolt hole of the freezer body and the top of the hinge bolts through the collar.

Lid still works, light still works,

Collar stays connected to the freezer body and the lid works as it always has.

Like this except i have a lot more beer line than this? You could put some clips in the lid to hold em.

1487817224261.jpg

If you're installing a fan (you should) I highly recommend using a switch to turn the fan off when you open the lid. I used a normally-off limit switch (this one) and just attached it to the inside of the collar with double-sided tape (actually the quick-release strip from the back side of a picture hanger). Cuts power to the fan when the lid opens and prevents it from blowing all your cold air out.

Keezer fan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meddo said:
If you're installing a fan (you should) I highly recommend using a switch to turn the fan off when you open the lid. I used a normally-off limit switch (this one) and just attached it to the inside of the collar with double-sided tape (actually the quick-release strip from the back side of a picture hanger). Cuts power to the fan when the lid opens and prevents it from blowing all your cold air out.

attachicon.gif
Keezer fan.jpg
That is impressive Meddo.

What size fan is that and how have you wired it up?

Cheers,
Jase

Meddo said:

attachicon.gif
Keezer fan.jpg
I'm going to have nightmares from looking at all those push in fittings! I can see so many potential leaks.

tj2204 said:
I'm going to have nightmares from looking at all those push in fittings! I can see so many potential leaks.
Ha, they're fine :D Just have to make sure there's no bending pressure on them (hence using elbows instead of bending the hose) and they're sweet.

Jase said:
That is impressive Meddo.

What size fan is that and how have you wired it up?

Cheers,
Jase
230mm, one of these - probably overkill but feck it, why not? ;) LEDs disabled BTW, they were out of stock of the non-disco version at the time :p

Powered from a standard 12V/2A adapter with the end cut off, the positive runs through the normally-off pole of the limit switch so that it only turns on when the lid is lowered pushing down the switch lever arm.

Meddo said:
230mm, one of these - probably overkill but feck it, why not? ;) LEDs disabled BTW, they were out of stock of the non-disco version at the time :p

Powered from a standard 12V/2A adapter with the end cut off, the positive runs through the normally-off pole of the limit switch so that it only turns on when the lid is lowered pushing down the switch lever arm.
Cheers Meddo.

Is that just a standard 12v limit switch?

Cheers,
Jase

I guess so, it was the first one I found through Googling that looked big enough that the vertical positioning tolerance wouldn't be so tight as to be a pain in the arse for installation. This particular switch is rated for DC 125V/0.5A so seems like plenty of room to run a 12V/0.41A fan.

Here's my setup. When the lid is down the 120cm fans fit between the shanks. No foaming at all.

Just ignore the ugly routers work. Its the result of a poorley thought out idea carried out in a hurry.

I have 1 fan mounted sideways but in the center of the freezer and the facing forward at the taps
The one facing at the taps makes 3 or so of the 7 condensate within 15mins or a beers time. I'm thinking to turn the other around so that it hits the others.

1487897239447.jpg

appliances online on ebay have free delivery and install and 15% off if anyone wants a new chesty, finishes tonight or tomorrow though, 316L on order. delivery tomorrow morning, super fast... 400 bucks delivered and installed cant be too bad to upgrade my series 2 kegerator with the round door

cant justify another kegerator at 1500 dollars

Latest posts

Back