Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Where'd you get the Urquell handle?!
It fell off the back of a truck... :ph34r: :lol:

Nah, seriously I actually found it on eBay. I have two of them but the other one is too big to fit comfortably on there with the Spaten handle.

It's rockin! Sadly I'm a through fridge door kegerator type bloke so I have very limited space. My White labs vial handles almost foul the door as it is!

Cheers mate! Ah bugger. I'd thought about doing that but I decided the kegerator like I have was the better option at this stage. I just figured I'd get some cool handles of my favourite beers/breweries to put on it rather than having standard black plastic ones. They're sort of based on what style is on which tap as well. I'll collect more as I go for different beer styles so I can interchange them depending on what's in the keg. :)

Crusty said:
Mate, if it's shooting that hard into your glass & spraying onto the walls, there's something else wrong & it ain't the taps.
When I say spit, it's just that. Kind of like opening a soft drink bottle & it does tend to foam up a lot in the glass & if you continue to pour, you'll get a glass with too much head. I've often seen bar staff discard the first initial spit from these taps & it's just how they are. When you pour pretty frequently though, it doesn't happen.
When the tap is not being used for a while like in a home kegging situation, the back pressure will build up & for a trial to see if it fixes the issue, pour a beer & then disconnect your beer line from the keg, hook it back up after an hour or more & see what happens.
60kpa shouldn't get beer splattering all over the walls unless your keg is highly over carbonated & your using 1m of beer line.
Tx Crusty, ill try that.

It may not fix it but worth a try.
You shouldn't have to disconnect your line at all though.
@80kpa, I think 4m of 5mm ID line @1deg fridge temp would be more the requirement to cut back that pressure at the tap.
You'll still get a slight spit but nothing like your experiencing now.

brewchampion said:
I've got an issue with my Tap Setup. Wondering if anyone has heard of the same issue..
80 pka beer in ball lock kegs to 2m 5mm risers inside 1 degree fridge. Going up to an andale non flooded taipan style font to Floryte Taps. I have a blower up there.
Ok. So my initial pour of the day is explosive. For the first fraction of a second.... I get a powerful jet of air and foam shooting out of the glass and all over the room. After that... It's fine.
I'm thinking it's something to do with the gas build up in the risers. Anyone else heard if this.??
Hey brewchampion,

Unfortunately there isn't just one quick and simply solution, rather a combination of little things it could be. The first and probably most important thing to check is line balancing, however if they pour fine after the initial bit then your lines are probably balanced. A quick sign of unbalanced lines are small gas bubbles inside the beer line, these will rise to the highest point and if they rise all the way to the tap head then that could contribute to the initial explosion.
A lot of those older commercial taps and cobra fonts are really made to go onto glycol systems as they have a large amount of thermal mass and need to be actively cooled, otherwise they just absorb heat from the room. A font fan will defiantly help this but as you can imagine it won't be as cold as -2C glycol being pumped around. So unless you want to change your taps and font (I wouldn't...they look great!) then it may be an idea to just extend your lines a bit, your beer will pour a bit slower but you should also get less of an explosion initially.

not a fix but until you work it out why not keep a sponge handy, stick it over the end of the tap when you do the first pull to absorb the first spray, rinse it out with some hot water and should be ok temporary fix to spraying your walls?

brewchampion said:
Sure Crusty, 60-90Kpa I get the same problem with the Andale Floryte Taps. Spit on the first pour, yep, thats it. Nicely put.Discard first spit... Well, its been shooting out of the glass onto the walls. Haven't tried directly onto the drip tray. Might a post a video of that...
Any details as the bet way to discard the first spit without it going everywhere?
And anyone know why this happens with these taps?
Try a jug 1/2 filled with water ,hold the jug up so the spout is immersed in the water and slowly open the tap.

If you've got one handy you could try using a Erlenmeyer Flask or disconnect the kegs each night and open the taps to release the pressure in the lines. As KK says unless you can keep the font cold your probably pushing shit up hill to stop it.

brewchampion said:
Are you trying to set me up Spog?
A face full of water?
Ha no. If opened slowly the beer will mix with the water and hopefully not spray all over the place.

Here's my new setup.
340lt chesty running via an STC-1000. I used 70x35mm for the collar.
6 x Andale Floryte taps with ceramic handles. Pretty basic but pretty happy to get some more kegs on tap.
It holds 6 on the floor & 2 on the hump but I went with a smaller collar so no kegs on the hump.
I had the timber lying around so just went with that.
4 way gas manifold, all JG fittings. I used 3 x 2 way dividers to supply the 6 kegs off 3 of the manifold taps. The last manifold tap will be used for force carbing.
I still need to install a PC fan for better air circulation & a little bottle opener in the far right corner of the collar.

20150902_122921.jpg

20150902_122758 (Small).jpg

20150902_122814 (Small).jpg

Crusty said:
Here's my new setup.
340lt chesty running via an STC-1000. I used 70x35mm for the collar.
6 x Andale Floryte taps with ceramic handles. Pretty basic but pretty happy to get some more kegs on tap.
It holds 6 on the floor & 2 on the hump but I went with a smaller collar so no kegs on the hump.
I had the timber lying around so just went with that.
4 way gas manifold, all JG fittings. I used 3 x 2 way dividers to supply the 6 kegs off 3 of the manifold taps. The last manifold tap will be used for force carbing.
I still need to install a PC fan for better air circulation & a little bottle opener in the far right corner of the collar.

attachicon.gif
20150902_122921.jpg

attachicon.gif
20150902_122758 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gif
20150902_122814 (Small).jpg

Sooooooooooo whens the next brew day at your joint???

Saw a commercial kegarator outside a little shop in Palermo Sicily. Thought I'd take a photo to share

image.jpg

DJ lethal i have seen a few of those Pilsner urqwell handles on US eBay. If you search there you should find something. Postage can be the killer but if you set up an account with a forwarder first you may save some cash.

Latest posts

Back