Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stoked with the 9.5 litre kitchen system, I cut the pickup tube and also ground the end at an angle to pick up from the bottom corner of the keg, then made a little wooden stand to tilt the keg back about 10 degrees. gas line through fridge side wall.
I emptied the first keg yesterday and there was only about a spoonfull of beer left in it, very happy with the pickup.

G47DHrYl.jpg

still shopping for a drip tray, I just made a wooden one for the moment and sit a little butter dish on it currently for drips.
for what I need it works fine and takes up no more fridge space than a couple of 6 packs.

7ZvpjgKl.jpg

just need to cable tie the hoses in right sort of places now.

This thread is great.
I don't have pictures but when I lived in tassie in a uni share house, it was that cold we didn't even need a fridge. Just kept the 50l keg outside the kitchen window with an insulated line running to just above the sink. Hot water, cold water, beer, I don't think the handbrake would let me get away with that these days. ;)

Kodos said:
Probably not too practical for permanent use - but I think the Canberra Brewers Viking Bar from anhc club night needs to be added to this thread:

20 taps, about the same number of bags of ice. All the taps I tried seemed to pour pretty well! A brilliant effort by the guys who built it.

attachicon.gif
VikingBar.jpg

attachicon.gif
VikingBarMainHall.jpg

attachicon.gif
VikingBarCloseUp.jpg

All the viking tap handles were epic ... great beers all round! Stella effort by those guys ... saw it being chopped into pieces on Sunday, it was heartbreaking

Crouch said:
All the viking tap handles were epic ... great beers all round! Stella effort by those guys ... saw it being chopped into pieces on Sunday, it was heartbreaking
My vote was to push it out on Lake Burley Griffin and set it on fire!

Until I remembered four of the taps had come off my keg fridge :blink:

Take taps off and push it out... set fire with a flaming arrow...

could've been shweeet.

Crouch said:
Should have made an offer they couldn't refuse?

Picked up the basic ingredients today...main decision now is whether to use hammered finish paint or chalkboard to fix up the fridge.
(and whether to drink the beer that was already in the kegs...the seller commented that it was "draught beer, one of those basic kits from Woolies")

IMAG0343.jpg

Edit: 100th post! Happy that it coincided with the start of my kegging journey.

Hi, I'm new so go easy... Never posted to a forum before. Sorry. Anyway, this may or may not be answered somewhere else but again, I have no idea. I had a bit of a look around and figured "set ups" and hardware may be the general area of what I need help with.

Anyhow, I just newly set up my kegging system tonight. I'm running a small 5lb co2 with a keg king mk2 regulator, standard ball lock corny, proper lines and clamps, no leaks.

As per instructional videos on youtube I decided to force carb my first keg as I was keen to taste it. I followed all the instructions and whacked it on about 25psi for 4 to 5 mins. I gently rocked it back and forth on my knees as I sat down and I could hear the bubbles like you're meant to. Ok, so all good, the 5 mins or so was up I purged my regulator and set it back to about 14psi or so for pouring pressure and alas there's nothing coming out of my tap but a few drops.

Am I not waiting long enough? Should it be flowing properly after this amount of time? What have I not done right? Any help would be great as I have a great brew waiting to be consumed and I can't get that goodness out of the damn tap!! haha

BigT76 said:
Hi, I'm new so go easy... Never posted to a forum before. Sorry. Anyway, this may or may not be answered somewhere else but again, I have no idea. I had a bit of a look around and figured "set ups" and hardware may be the general area of what I need help with.

Anyhow, I just newly set up my kegging system tonight. I'm running a small 5lb co2 with a keg king mk2 regulator, standard ball lock corny, proper lines and clamps, no leaks.

As per instructional videos on youtube I decided to force carb my first keg as I was keen to taste it. I followed all the instructions and whacked it on about 25psi for 4 to 5 mins. I gently rocked it back and forth on my knees as I sat down and I could hear the bubbles like you're meant to. Ok, so all good, the 5 mins or so was up I purged my regulator and set it back to about 14psi or so for pouring pressure and alas there's nothing coming out of my tap but a few drops.

Am I not waiting long enough? Should it be flowing properly after this amount of time? What have I not done right? Any help would be great as I have a great brew waiting to be consumed and I can't get that goodness out of the damn tap!! haha
Suggest you start a new thread as this is really for kegging bling and you might not get much response

Anyhow, have you checked your taps actually work? Make sure you disconnect the beer line from the keg (messy otherwise), take the taps apart and check under the tap that water flows through when the tap is open.

There many possible causes and you might need to step through a few to find the issue

Somethings not right mate. You should still get a stream of beer if the kegs got pressure. What sort of tap are you using and is your beer disconnect on properly? Did any hop debris get into the keg?

Did you gelatine in keg? Sometime dip tube can gunk up with beer jelly if not done right

BigT76 said:

Could it be that you still have the gas and beer disconnects reveresed? I know for force carbing you usually gas through the beer line.

Been over a few things. Taps are long shank with pour flow valves, and yeah they're open ahah. Shouldn't be any hop debris, I had it steeped in cheesecloth so nothing could get out. Only thing there would be is minimal sediment. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the connects because I've just been over the set up starting with the co2 and it's all ok, it's brand new and full so no issue there, all the lines are sealed tight and as I've set it up on a dual manifold gas line but not set up the second keg yet, gas is running through there fine. Anyway, got a pal with a similar set up just got to get hold of him

@ Krausen, no I forced gas through the gas inlet. Was that wrong? Now it seems liquid has come up through the gas inlet nipple and into the connect but not up the gas line though. Is that my mistake?

Are they Kegking flow control taps? I think someone had problems with those if they were tightened onto the shank with the flow lever in the closed position.

Can you see beer in the beer line to the tap?

Yeah beer definitely started coming through the line, just dribbled out drop by drop out of the tap though, no pressure there at all even at like 30psi

You could try disconnecting from the keg, remove the tap from the shank, set the lever to full open so the flow control cone moves towards the spout, then retighten tap to shank. May not fix your problem but I think it worked for another forum member.

Thanks everyone for your help. I can now say that it's working!!! I didn't realize just how frikkin hard you had to push those disconnects down. The gas side was fine but the bev out connector really had to be pushed down quite hard even with lube. Anyway, it's on now and I'm enjoying a glass of my Mangrove Jacks dark brown ale. 7.8% :D

You shouldnt have to push them down that hard. You sure you got the right connect on

I'm guessing it's because they are reco kegs and haven't been used in a while, or maybe mine and your idea of hard is different? lol. Yeah I got the handicap connects mate, gray for gas, black for beer.

Latest posts

Back