Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird only time ive had a hars time with getting them on is when i couldnt see which side was which as keg was at back of fridge and i put them on wrong side

Go through the obvious. Make sure you have the correct plugs on the correct sides and the correct disconnects on the correct posts.
With lube, it should be easy enough. Do they come off easily enough?

They're not Kegking disconnects are they? I use these and a couple are a bit distorted and need lube to go on easy.

Like Manticle says, double check your beer and gas posts in case they were previously misfitted. Gas posts should have a notch or groove around the base.

Grey & Grooved for Gas,

Black & Bare for Beer,

Glad you got it sorted in time for Cup Day. I wish I did. All my taps are dry :(.

BigT76 said:
Thanks everyone for your help. I can now say that it's working!!! I didn't realize just how frikkin hard you had to push those disconnects down. The gas side was fine but the bev out connector really had to be pushed down quite hard even with lube. Anyway, it's on now and I'm enjoying a glass of my Mangrove Jacks dark brown ale. 7.8% :D
I was going to suggest that you ensure the connector is firmly pressed on.

As they're reco kegs, it's possible that the in and out connectors (or posts) are reversed (i.e. on the wrong sides), and that could be why it's a tight fit. I have a similar issue at home with a couple of my kegs.

Good luck and enjoy your kegging.

*Edit - I'll continue editing until I think I'm becoming clear

I feel that i'm over due for an update in this thread,
so here goes. Bar setup

IMG_3690 (2).JPG

Party setup
IMG_3692 (2).JPG

Posting my setup as a few people on here have really helped me with advice.

Mmmmm... Beer!
20140922_205023.jpg

20140922_205035.jpg

Font attached to underside of the lid.
20140922_205117.jpg

Kegs and Reg.
20140922_205135.jpg

So after plenty of research and plenty of procrastination, I've put together a one keg/one tap kegerator.

I went with a fairly inexpensive, slim fit, thermoelectric bar fridge. I was a bit worried about it getting cold enough but its perfect (more on this later).

It fits a 3 Gal keg, co2 bottle, and a few small and large beer bottles in the door and on the rack.

The tower is insulated with roof insulation and i have copper piping running all the way up the tower. This leads down to a T, and has a further 2 feet of copper running into the fridge.

I've also added a small fan to help the circulation. It's running on a timer and cycles every 30 mins. It's running of an old 12v adapter.

Initially, the temps ran at 0 celcius at the bottom and 5c at the top at its lowest setting. But after running the fan it's settled at 0-2c.

I've only just kegged my first beer (an ipa!) so I haven't poured anything yet besides pbw…

Going to try keg hopping for the first time.

very nice I recon a German Munich Dunkel or Kolsch would fit the scene nicely

So I picked up an absurdly cheap gumtree deal on the weekend which included a 6.8kg 'mykegsonlegs' co2 canister. It's that big that takes up the space of a keg. I'm in the process of building a keezer and its thrown a spanner in the works as my chest freezer was on the small side to begin with. My question is can the co2 be on the outside or am I better off just trading in the chest freezer for something bigger?

yeah through the collar (not through the side of the freezer itself). If you drill a hole the same diameter as your gas line it should be pretty snug.

Ciderman said:
So I picked up an absurdly cheap gumtree deal on the weekend which included a 6.8kg 'mykegsonlegs' co2 canister. It's that big that takes up the space of a keg. I'm in the process of building a keezer and its thrown a spanner in the works as my chest freezer was on the small side to begin with. My question is can the co2 be on the outside or am I better off just trading in the chest freezer for something bigger?
Hope you guys have the following warning (from KegKing) in mind:

SHOULD I GET A LARGER CYLINDER?
No, a 2.6kg is the largest recommended safe size to be used in domestic environments. CO2 is DEADLY in concentrations above 18% in the atmosphere. A 2.6kg cylinder is the maximum recommended size cylinder you should be using without proper extraction fans and CO2 detecting equipment installed in your cellar or closed bar area. A 3kg CO2 cylinder is enough to make a 50cumic meter room a deadly environment. Only ever use a larger cylnder if you are outside or in an area which is well ventilated

Thanks for the advice. It was essentially free otherwise I would have bought a smaller size to fit the freezer. It will be outside on the deck area once it's finished.

I wasn't planning on building a collar as I was going to put a font on the top and build a bar around it. I may have to by the sounds of it.

You might be able to just run the gas line under the deal at the back where the hinge is, if you add a small strip of compressible foam it should be pretty close to air tight. Safer than drilling in and nicking a coolant line.

Latest posts

Back