Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
John guest is the best quality fittings you can get. Keg king do a cheap knock off of this I suggest that might be the poor reports you are hearing about.
Buy right buy once with the least amount of fittings to avoid potential leak points.
Buy metal quick disconnects the plastic pin ones break very easily!
thanks for the advice, I went in yesterday morning and spent $320 to date and got everything to start with minus a gas bottle out of stock till friday), went with a chinese 19l, the german disconnects for a couple of bucks more, barbed connector on one for gas and the other is threaded for the el cheapo bronco tap. was talked into the harris reg over the keg king as parts are available in oz, some line cleaner.
not having gas or beer till the weekend or so, gave it a quick seal/leak test with a few litres of water and 15psi from the air compressor.

I am now thinking I am going to get a smaller 9.5 litre for the fridge only and decant into it as needed. then I can keep a couple of the larger kegs at room temp with a few different brews and swap out every week or so by decanting into the smaller keg without losing most of my fridge space.

now to buy some cheap chinese disconnects off ebay for keg transfers and start tap research.

Stonemull said:
thanks for the advice, I went in yesterday morning and spent $320 to date and got everything to start with minus a gas bottle out of stock till friday), went with a chinese 19l, the german disconnects for a couple of bucks more, barbed connector on one for gas and the other is threaded for the el cheapo bronco tap. was talked into the harris reg over the keg king as parts are available in oz, some line cleaner.
not having gas or beer till the weekend or so, gave it a quick seal/leak test with a few litres of water and 15psi from the air compressor.

I am now thinking I am going to get a smaller 9.5 litre for the fridge only and decant into it as needed. then I can keep a couple of the larger kegs at room temp with a few different brews and swap out every week or so by decanting into the smaller keg without losing most of my fridge space.

now to buy some cheap chinese disconnects off ebay for keg transfers and start tap research.
Please wait while the fully blown 10 keg keezer loads. ...................

Sl
I
Pp
Ery

Sl
Op
E.

Rob.P said:
Please wait while the fully blown 10 keg keezer loads. ...................
Sl
I
Pp
Ery
Sl
Op
E.
hehe, yeh I recognise the symptoms. Honestly though, I just want to keep a lager on tap for my missus and a few bottles of something dark n mysterious for me refridgerated

Just finished putting the gas lines in for the keezer and am now pouring out of all 6 taps. I just need to tidy up the gas and beer lines..

I also added some plastic pipe to get the faucets further from the body of the freezer as the taps were a little close to the lid for easy usage. I'll get around to painting those black or something in due time. And further down the track shall be a custom drip tray..

The important part is that the beer is now flowing for the wedding on Friday. Lurrrvely.

1412581187455.jpg

1412581214096.jpg

That looks beautiful. What are the costs on a keezer build like that?

Pretty cheap to make the collar itself, the expensive bits are the kegging gear and freezer.

Materials for the collar build cost all of $30.

EDIT: Time is also the other killer, which is why having an ex-woodworking grandad comes in handy - both in time and access to the right tools.

sponge said:
Just finished putting the gas lines in for the keezer and am now pouring out of all 6 taps. I just need to tidy up the gas and beer lines..

I also added some plastic pipe to get the faucets further from the body of the freezer as the taps were a little close to the lid for easy usage. I'll get around to painting those black or something in due time. And further down the track shall be a custom drip tray..

The important part is that the beer is now flowing for the wedding on Friday. Lurrrvely.
I like the idea of the plastic pipe. I used too long shanks on mine and would like the space back in the freezer, this might come in handy.

Edak said:
I like the idea of the plastic pipe. I used too long shanks on mine and would like the space back in the freezer, this might come in handy.
I'm happy I got the longer shanks, but because the lid of the freezer overhangs the body slightly it just made it a little awkward to comfortably use the taps. Something I completely overlooked during the design phase..

Although the pipe looks a little cheap at this stage, it makes it heaps easier to use the taps and will hopefully scrub up alright with a paint job. Otherwise I might look at some sort of stainless pipe in the future..

the advantage of long shanks inside is they absorb the cold :) which means a bit less foam on first pour.

sponge said:
I'm happy I got the longer shanks, but because the lid of the freezer overhangs the body slightly it just made it a little awkward to comfortably use the taps. Something I completely overlooked during the design phase..

Although the pipe looks a little cheap at this stage, it makes it heaps easier to use the taps and will hopefully scrub up alright with a paint job. Otherwise I might look at some sort of stainless pipe in the future..

What are the dimensions of the pipe mate? I definitely need to do this with mine to address the same problem.

Also want to add some different handles and some labels eventually.

It appears you have 'accidentally' caught yourself in the windows reflection there, mate.

This isn't Tinder you know !

Be careful not to get sun burn today pipsyboy! Slip slop slap...

Danwood said:
It appears you have 'accidentally' caught yourself in the windows reflection there, mate.

This isn't Tinder you know !
Ha ha. Pleased I was wearing the jocks is all I can say.

I took one of how the set up fits into my overall outdoor area as well but when I checked it there was one of the dogs having a crap in the background.

sponge said:

~110L brewed for the big day, with ~97L consumed between 97 guests. Less than 2 cases of the beer package (coopers/stella/tooheys) were consumed. 1L of homebrew per guest is a pretty decent effort me thinks and many people who were hesitant on homebrew from previous experiences drank it all night.

I don't have any good photos of it thus far but was able to grab one from a friend's phone. Had some descriptions of the beers on a sheet, with beer bottle labels and little clear bottles showing a sample of each.

Left to right was a mild, US wheat, saison, brown porter, APA and apple & pear cider.

From the weather, to the speeches (my dad wrote a pretty touching poem - impressive from a normally quiet and emotionless guy - and I wrote a song for my speech), the beers and conga-line first dance.. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

wedding keezer.jpg

Congrats mate, sounds like a ripper day.

Glad it all went well.

Trying to empty the 19l keg ASAP due to gas issues.
But happy to have a fridge full of kegs full of beer. ! [

attachment=75769:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413716768.790816.jpg]

And some stubbies.

CF

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413716768.790816.jpg

Probably not too practical for permanent use - but I think the Canberra Brewers Viking Bar from anhc club night needs to be added to this thread:

20 taps, about the same number of bags of ice. All the taps I tried seemed to pour pretty well! A brilliant effort by the guys who built it.

VikingBar.jpg

VikingBarMainHall.jpg

VikingBarCloseUp.jpg

The viking ship was epic. It was hilarious to seeing everyone try and carry it out to empty the ice and then back in. Top work Canberra Brewers!

Back