Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just spent the last 30 minutes reading the force carbonating thread.

it really does sound like just biting the bullet, modding the fridge and going the cornelius route is the only 'proper' solution.

If you crash chill and keg cold - 3 times serving pressure for 24 hours = done.

May be a little under but will come up to perfect at serving pressure in a day or 2... better under than over, trust me.

2c.

There are 9L cornies or I have a few 6L chinese made kegs from cheeky peak that work out about $100 with a picnic tap and gas dispenser (I carbonate in full size cornies). Don't bother with the mini regulated adapters get a soda stream adapter and bottle if space/cost is an issue.

I've seen a youtube video of someone using a 2 litre bunnings weed sprayer with a few mods.

Stonemull said:
it really does sound like just biting the bullet, modding the fridge and going the cornelius route is the only 'proper' solution.
in the end i reckon it's "cheaper" to bite that bullet and buy a proper setup....

save up the cash and maybe wait for the "deal" to come along off here / gumtree / ebay...

if you pay the right price you can always sell it later on for the same money you paid

once you keg it's hard to go back :)

Moad said:
There are 9L cornies or I have a few 6L chinese made kegs from cheeky peak that work out about $100 with a picnic tap and gas dispenser (I carbonate in full size cornies). Don't bother with the mini regulated adapters get a soda stream adapter and bottle if space/cost is an issue.
thanks for that, missed seeing the 9.5litre. a couple of these in combination with some 19l cornies might be just the thing. I could carve a notch in just one fridge shelf and squeeze one in for a fortnightly supply. also a good size to take visiting perhaps.

storage space isnt an issue, cost not really an issue, only fridge space is and ongoing running costs, I have an old shelfless fridge in the shed turned off that still works thats currently being heated for fermenting, will likely need it cooler in summer. next to the old main fridge in the kitchen is another newer fridge not being used just filled with spirits and liqueurs and stilling jars. I'm just a tight arse when it comes to the electrickery bill. hate the damn things.

gas I reckon the 2.6kg steel kegking job looks ideal.

Just finished my keezer after reading hundreds of forum posts and combining lots of ideas.
Here are a couple of pics. I still plan to add another two taps. Big thanks to all who shared their ideas before me!

Outside
20140924_202058_resized_1.jpg

Inside
20140924_202135_resized_1.jpg

Cheers Wee Jimmy

Knocked this together just in time for grand final day. Think I had a couple too many though...

image.jpg
image.jpg

ok, so I am wanting to put a 19l keg in the kitchen fridge with eventually a single tap on the door and a drip tray. if the area behind the keg becomes unuseable then may put two in there later.(big old kelvinator single door)

looking at making a trip over to ibrew in the next few days and need a little assistance with making reasonable purchase decisions.
I havent put another beer down yet so not urgent, first thing I figured was a 19l keg, cornelius, new, secondhand or chinese?
Is there any difference or just whether scratched and need a clean out ?

co2 .. i thought a 2.3kg kegking cylinder that can be parked on top of the fridge would do the job.
regulator ? they have a harris or kegking mk2 for much the same price, i am leaning towards the kegking version.

tap, i want to get a decent tap and turn up a nice handle but need to do more research before customising the fridge, so currently i am just thinking about buying a cheap tap on the line just to get me by for a keg or two, will come in handy later i think anyway if i want to drag a keg out to a bbq.
they have this bronco thing for $11 http://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/faucets-fonts-taps/products/bronco-tap-line-and-connector
I assume its a pretty poor substitute for a real tap but as long as it gets beer out of a cornie I am happy for the next month or so.

I have no idea what other lines and fittings I need at the moment, a line from the reg to the keg, adapters ? disconnects, some on ebay a lot cheaper, any good ? I see a few complaints about john guest stuff breaking so might avoid it from the get go.

any comments/assistance/advice appreciated.

John guest is the best quality fittings you can get. Keg king do a cheap knock off of this I suggest that might be the poor reports you are hearing about.

Buy right buy once with the least amount of fittings to avoid potential leak points.

Buy metal quick disconnects the plastic pin ones break very easily!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
John guest is the best quality fittings you can get. Keg king do a cheap knock off of this I suggest that might be the poor reports you are hearing about.

Buy right buy once with the least amount of fittings to avoid potential leak points.
This is absolutely true. Dont skimp on connectors and other fittings. I struggled with a CO2 leak for a few months and finally just redid the whole system with quality fittings and lines. Spend a bit extra to get it right first time than being cheap and buying twice and losing money on lost gas.

I wholeheartedly agree. This point was made to me, long ago, by my lhbs owner.

I purchased a bag of 10 genuine Cornelius gas connectors and another bag of 10 Beer out connectors from Andale through the lhbs, as 10 kegs is not a minor commitment. Do it once, do it right.

Gas bottle is next on my list, and then a wide (full-width) drip tray for the freezer. Then maybe some paint and decals to dress up the old gal, and a temp controller. Oh, and work out where I want the cow skull mounted (on the freezer top, front or on the wall behind). Decisions, decisions.

Had to move house so made some changes. In addition to the Mini Bar, I have also added the "Beer Garden." Obviously not the best pour but my argument is 'why the hell not?'

minibar6.png

BeerGarden.jpg

BeerGarden2.jpg

Seifer said:
Had to move house so made some changes. In addition to the Mini Bar, I have also added the "Beer Garden." Obviously not the best pour but my argument is 'why the hell not?'

attachicon.gif
minibar6.png

attachicon.gif
BeerGarden.jpg

attachicon.gif
BeerGarden2.jpg
Love it. Has to be one of the most imaginative places to put a beer tap ive seen. Nice one. How longs the beer line?

Steve said:
Love it. Has to be one of the most imaginative places to put a beer tap ive seen. Nice one. How longs the beer line?
It is underground for around 1.5 meters. Its another 2 if I want to run to the keezer otherwise I just place the keg in an ice bin next to the garden bed.

I have upgraded from the esky with taps to the fridge now.
Need to get a couple of 19L. cornies.
Loving beer on tap at home.
Still have the esky for camping though.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411964424.841614.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411964438.125060.jpg

Rock on.

CF

Back