Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
Getting closer to putting my keg freezer together.

attachicon.gif
font.jpg
attachicon.gif
kegz_in.jpg
attachicon.gif
angled_kegs.jpg
11 kegs I count... R U fkn Syria? Fark mate, awesome.

Excuse me for not wanting go read through 158 pages but...

If I was thinking about a basic keg system using my existing spare fridge what equipment would I need? Corny keg and a tap through the fridge door.

Ciderman said:

If I was thinking about a basic keg system using my existing spare fridge what equipment would I need? Corny keg and a tap through the fridge door.
At a bare minimum what you want is

I would recommend not skimping on taps. If you buy a cheap ebay one you will likely end up with no manner of foaming issues.

Secondly for starters make your beer line at least 3m in length or again you will get foaming issues. When you are more comfortable with kegging you can start looking into balancing your beer lines.

Just some tips to save you a world of annoyance for your first time into kegging.

Ciderman said:
And 1 more bit of advice, an over carbonated beer can can pour (roughly) half head half beer and the beer will appear to be flat, but this is still overcarbed.

to add to phoenixdigital's post - if you can't afford decent taps first up - save your cash and use a plastic bronco tap in the meantime. They pour really well and will still come in handy for keg cleaning & party setups once you have your good taps.
If you get flow control taps, 3m of beer line won't be necessary as you can dial the back pressure needed from the tap itself. My beer lines are about 400-500mm, all balanced etc pours wonderfully.

Liam_snorkel said:
to add to phoenixdigital's post - if you can't afford decent taps first up - save your cash and use a plastic bronco tap in the meantime. They pour really well and will still come in handy for keg cleaning & party setups once you have your good taps.
Very good point. My mates kegging setup is everything above but instead of taps just has a few of these resting in his keezer.

http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=729

Cocko said:
11 kegs I count... R U fkn Syria? Fark mate, awesome.
I know not what I do, apart from planning 10 kegs on tap. I have 2 cobra fonts (1 each side of the gold T-font).

Bought some brand-spanking new Andale connectors, and Mark (MHB) sponsored me a gift of a 6-way gas connector with check valves.

Also bought these taps on eBay recently
$_57.jpg
and currently trying to source a gas cylinder (as my F-size bottle ran out and was returned to the parent company).
Coming together slowly.

Les the Weizguy said:
I know not what I do, apart from planning 10 kegs on tap. I have 2 cobra fonts (1 each side of the gold T-font).

Bought some brand-spanking new Andale connectors, and Mark (MHB) sponsored me a gift of a 6-way gas connector with check valves.

Also bought these taps on eBay recently
attachicon.gif
$_57.jpg
and currently trying to source a gas cylinder (as my F-size bottle ran out and was returned to the parent company).
Coming together slowly.
I love you right now!

Can't wait to see the finished rig, mate!

Awesome.

phoenixdigital said:
At a bare minimum what you want is

I would recommend not skimping on taps. If you buy a cheap ebay one you will likely end up with no manner of foaming issues.

Secondly for starters make your beer line at least 3m in length or again you will get foaming issues. When you are more comfortable with kegging you can start looking into balancing your beer lines.

Just some tips to save you a world of annoyance for your first time into kegging.
Excellent information, thank you. So on taps, can you recommend something? I assume the Craftbrewer tap you posted at $89 is a cheapy, what sort of price for something decent. I only want one tap at this stage, I don't drink enough beer (yet).

Ciderman said:
Excellent information, thank you. So on taps, can you recommend something? I assume the Craftbrewer tap you posted at $89 is a cheapy, what sort of price for something decent. I only want one tap at this stage, I don't drink enough beer (yet).
Anything from eBay cant really be trusted. I made that mistake before by trying to be cheap.

After this mistake I took the cheap ebay taps into Ross (from craftbrewer) and he pointed out all the flaws with the internals which cause foaming.

Pretty much anything he sells would be suitable he makes it a point not to sell crap. I just gave you the cheapest option he has which would be more than good enough.

In all seriousness just start with the picnic taps for now unless you really want a tap on the outside of your fridge.

I personally would go with standard Perlicks.
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=904

As some have suggested here flow control ones are the way to go. I got 3 flow control perlicks and was still getting foaming issues but I think that was to do with my beer line lengths. I ended up just getting standard Perlicks and used 3m line lengths and everything is running perfectly now.

I initially got 3 of these (using ship it to freight forwarder)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072KAC2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then after still having issues ordered 3 of normal perlicks from keg king (Part Number RET9378 – 525SS - $53 each for tap only)
http://www.kegking.com.au/Downloads/Catalogue%20-%20Retail%20Price%20List.pdf

If you are going through your fridge you will also need taps with a shank size dependant on the thickness or where you are putting the tap through on your fridge.
part numbers
RET9361 – 525SS - Long shank
RET9354 – 525SS - Short shank

Last edited by a moderator:
Ciderman said:
Might be worth saying where you are so people might be able to recommend a good local source where you can see some options, buy the gear etc. if not maybe check out the website of a site sponsor and then give them a call. Every one of the site sponsors I've dealt with have been incredibly helpful and knowledgable about the products they sell, but not all will carry what you're after.

And although I don't have the tap personally I doubt an $89 tap from CB would be a cheapy

I paid $55 for perlicks from KegKing. Not flow control but affordable and work very well.

Featured on the esky quite a few posts above.

site needs a summary thread :)
Had a quick look around but not found what I am looking for yet.
as above poster, don't really want to go through 158 pages backwards.
I don't want to run a second fridge (yet) or lose all my fridge space, is there a real workable option between the cornies and bottles thats not tin cans or PET bottles ?
thinking a stainless steel 5l keg setup would be ideal for me. does one exist ?
if not then I think I will start drinking 5 litre heinekins and sorting some sort of smallish regulated CO2 rig, happy to drill holes in fridge and fitting a tap and a tray.
I don't like the idea of small CO2 cartridges, I will probably end up shelling out for a decent size bottle. I reckon 5 litres beer would last my household close to a week so it needs to be leakproof or most of its going to go to waste.

I assume the mini-keg kegs are plastic coated tin cans the same as the filled ones, just empty ?

gah, might just bite the bullet, cut some fridge trays up a bit and fit a cornelius. Don't you need to have 2 in there for a week to carbonate the second one ? thats the bit that throws me.

you can force carbonate, and as long as you've either crash chilled or filtered ( or both ) before kegging your right to go within 30mins.

MB

Back