Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to it.
For now this works, summertime will see another lid or some such attached to cover the hole to insulate better.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407565258.307183.jpg

Lid closes well and all knobs and gauges easy to see and use.
I know it is not temp controlled but hey, until the bar gets built this will do.
Goodbye bottling ! ........mostly.

CF

Well guys. Ice is in and she works a treat. !!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408157376.236952.jpg

Brew has a bit of chill haze....don't care !!
Tastes great and I am a happy camper !

CF

HI All,

I am having an issue with my keg set up.
I have had three kegs through it now and all the same. They all carb up ok for a day or so then nothing but foam. First one forced carb then tried natural at serving pressure 12 psi. same ok for a day then foam.
I had started at 5mm line then was told to switch to 4mm at 1.7m all line is in the fridge bar 100m to the tap which is a perlick.
Bought a new keg from supplier to eliminate that as the issue (foam again).
Does anyone have any ides?

100m is pretty far for your lines am surprised you can push beer through at all with 12psi.

If thats an incorrect length id say 12 psi is a bit high for only 1.7m line, try 10psi

bradmelb said:
HI All,

I am having an issue with my keg set up.
I have had three kegs through it now and all the same. They all carb up ok for a day or so then nothing but foam. First one forced carb then tried natural at serving pressure 12 psi. same ok for a day then foam.
I had started at 5mm line then was told to switch to 4mm at 1.7m all line is in the fridge bar 100m to the tap which is a perlick.
Bought a new keg from supplier to eliminate that as the issue (foam again).
Does anyone have any ides?
100m? Maybe try bowling balls?

baron.jpg

Long time listener, first time caller. Here's mine:

I run my kegs in this fridge in the room next to the bar:

image.jpg

I run a copper circuit from this fridge, beer lines wrapped around it. Had a glycol reservoir in the freezer with a pump circulating through the copper but it was freezing up so now run 5 lts of cheap vodka through it.

Lines run through the wall and up into my font in the next room of the man cave:

image.jpg

Mates drained tap 1 in world record time last sat night so she's a dry argument.

Tight lines.

Rgds

Linford

"I had started at 5mm line then was told to switch to 4mm at 1.7m all line is in the fridge bar 100m to the tap which is a perlick."

i'd say last 100mm he means

what happens when you keep pouring ? (2nd pint etc)
or when you turn of the gas and keep pouring till the pressure runs out

is you reg creeping up maybe ?

did mean 100mm , it is a friday night!
second pint pours the same, reg stays at same reading. have not tried turning off gas. Would think i should not have to.

Linford said:

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

I run a copper circuit from this fridge, beer lines wrapped around it. Had a glycol reservoir in the freezer with a pump circulating through the copper but it was freezing up so now run 5 lts of cheap vodka through it.

Lines run through the wall and up into my font in the next room of the man cave:

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Mates drained tap 1 in world record time last sat night so she's a dry argument.

Tight lines.

Rgds

Linford
I like your setup mate. I also like the fact you're obviously a keen fisherman. And I was just about to like your post until I saw the poster of what looks like Keith Urban. But then I realised I like that you're not afraid to like Keith Urban, and so I liked your post. 'Spect.

Mate it seems cool to can keith for a lot of crew but the bloke can play an axe and make it sing. He's in the top echelon of modern day guitarists and those that doubt it, haven't heard him. Or know how hard it is to play anything like it.

Yea, love a fish. Barra to tuna. And good at it!

Spect back at ya

bradmelb said:
second pint pours the same, reg stays at same reading. have not tried turning off gas. Would think i should not have to.
Have you had a read through this article Bradmelb? Also what brand regulator is it? When you say natural do you mean you added sugar to the keg for carbonation and if so how much? Have you tried a balanced carb at 12 psi for a week? I may be misreading your post, I've had a few.

Annnd while I'm posting here I better add some pics of one of the brewery upgrades I achieved today.

Got sick of the smell of stale beer from the drip tray :ph34r: so added a drain to a 5l container. A quick rinse with water and it drains completely. Not the prettiest weld but I'm getting better.

20140822_155526.jpg20140822_155454.jpg20140822_155613.jpg

Maheel said:
"I had started at 5mm line then was told to switch to 4mm at 1.7m all line is in the fridge bar 100m to the tap which is a perlick."

i'd say last 100mm he means

what happens when you keep pouring ? (2nd pint etc)
or when you tu

I had foaming issues for the first year of my setup. I tried changing pressure, temps, flow control taps etc.... nothing seemed to work. I even followed the spreadsheets specifying line lengths, pressures and temps.

If you dont want to stuff around with calculations just make 3m beer lines and coil them inside your keezer. That is what I did and it resolved the issue and no more foaming. If it still pours too slowly you could reduce the line lengths or up the pressure a bit.

The longer explanation as follows.

After reading numerous forums someone explained it quite well. What you want is basically 1 PSI at the tap end. If you get anything higher than that then as the beer hits the atmosphere all the CO2 bursts out and you get foam.

Each foot of beer line reduces the psi by a certain amount due to line resistance.
ie 1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = 0.85 psi/ft

http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

So you want whatever length of line which will reduce your keg pressure (12 psi) down to 1 psi. If you nail that then your foaming should stop.

Camo6 said:
Annnd while I'm posting here I better add some pics of one of the brewery upgrades I achieved today.

Got sick of the smell of stale beer from the drip tray :ph34r: so added a drain to a 5l container. A quick rinse with water and it drains completely. Not the prettiest weld but I'm getting better.

attachicon.gif
20140822_155526.jpg
attachicon.gif
20140822_155454.jpg
attachicon.gif
20140822_155613.jpg
Welded into the tray mate?

Yeah. Figured I better justify the argon rental, haha! Was going smooth until I got into the corner and dirtied the weld. But it's watertight and works.

Camo6 said:
Yeah. Figured I better justify the argon rental, haha! Was going smooth until I got into the corner and dirtied the weld. But it's watertight and works.
FluxCore or nuttin!

Nice work Camo,

Linford said:

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Tight lines.

Rgds

Linford
Fukin show-off!!!

Seriously mate, damn great looking cave. You'd be hard pressed getting me to leave.

Latest posts

Back