Keg King Sanitiser Taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
Has anyone used the keg king no rinse sanitiser and found it to have a destinctive flavour and aroma? I tasted a sample that was poured into a jar that had sanitiser poured out but not drained and it was distinct alright. Now I'm getting it in my finished veer.

I'll admit that I didn't drain every vessle involved in this beers creation, but I certainly emptied them and gave them a rushed shake out. Is It normal to taste and even smell it in the beer when were talking maybe 50-100ml total amount in 20L?!

I'm struggling to enjoy this batch. The sanitiser leaves a very long lasting unpleasant taste and mouthfeel.

Cheers​

Has anyone used the keg king no rinse sanitiser and found it to have a destinctive flavour and aroma? I tasted a sample that was poured into a jar that had sanitiser poured out but not drained and it was distinct alright. Now I'm getting it in my finished veer.

I'll admit that I didn't drain every vessle involved in this beers creation, but I certainly emptied them and gave them a rushed shake out. Is It normal to taste and even smell it in the beer when were talking maybe 50-100ml total amount in 20L?!

I'm struggling to enjoy this batch. The sanitiser leaves a very long lasting unpleasant taste and mouthfeel.

Cheers​

Simple, change your sanitiser.

palettes are very much individual, we all taste things slightly different and you might be able to detect this more than others.
Dont use it again and go for some starsan if you're after something more commercial.
Never used KK sanitiser, I use bleach and vinegar

BF

Yep, same here. Used it to sanitise my bottles on my last batch, drained them well but still found a soapy taste which I recognise from the sanitiser in the finished product. Think I'll switch to Star San. I might mention it to the bloke at Keg King next time I'm there as I'm otherwise very happy with their products and service.

Starsan. Never fails.

Your going to drink the beer, use the best equipment the first time. Forget bleach, is that something you want to drink? In any QTY?

starsan is definitely the go although i notice brew shops are selling phosphoric acid which is the same thing so could use that also. there was a mention on another post that phosphoric acid was a major ingredient in coca cola, which i thought was interesting even though i don't drink the stuff.

The Keg King sanitiser is a phosphoric acid blend and they advertise it as a no rinse sanitiser with no aroma or flavor, but that does not appear to be the case. I bought it thinking is was a star san equivalent.

photo.JPG

I'm going to bring it up too. Considering it supposedly contains the same active ingredients as star san, I just grabbed some when making another order. Soapy beer is very disappointing. I will be switching to star San I think. KK brewery cleaner is fine though. Do you speak with Kee Dorey? He's who I usually deal with.​
Yep, same here. Used it to sanitise my bottles on my last batch, drained them well but still found a soapy taste which I recognise from the sanitiser in the finished product. Think I'll switch to Star San. I might mention it to the bloke at Keg King next time I'm there as I'm otherwise very happy with their products and service.

The Keg King sanitiser is a phosphoric acid blend and they advertise it as a no rinse sanitiser with no aroma or flavor, but that does not appear to be the case. I bought it thinking is was a star san equivalent.

View attachment 52437

Starsan is a HIGH foaming sanitiser, one of the attributes that makes it so economical to use. The Keg King product. however good or bad, is NOT a Starsan equivalent.

Cheers Ross

Not recommending one product over another, but whichever you choose to use be sure you mix to the recommended dilution rate.
More is not better with these products.
Using a stronger solution than recommended means it is no longer a no-rinse sanitiser.
Cheers
Nige

The recommended concentration says 10ml per 3.5L. I use pretty close to that dilution, I may err on the side of caution by going slighty over as I dont measure precisely but nothing crazy. It does foam up and wets surfaces well, a lot better than the brewshield I was using before. It just has a strong soapy taste to it which tends to hang around.

I determine the final vplume of mixed sanitiser I want then calculate the amount of solution required and mix at the exact ratio. I only use a stronger dilution for beer lines, but these beers were bottled.

I use grain and grapes defender brand which is a product they made using the same base chemicals found in starsign.

It's cheaper and you only use 3mm per litre.

Works great and I can't taste it.

I use grain and grapes defender brand which is a product they made using the same base chemicals found in starsign.

It's cheaper and you only use 3mm per litre.

Works great and I can't taste it.

I think you will find it is not actually cheaper than buying a 1L bottle of starsan.

Starsan 1.5ml / L - $36 for 1L bottle

Defender 3ml / L - $7.50 for 250ml

Unless of course if you can get 1L bottle of defender for less than half the price of starsan? but its not on the website

Where can I pickup some star san around Melb south east?

Well I'm going to give keg king a chance to address the issue before taking further action. It is not tasteless (and therefore not non rinse) at the specified mixing ratio, so it is therefore either faulty or incorrectly advertised. KK may be completely unaware if no one has brought it up with them.

Yeah as I said, they're pretty good there and I dont believe they would be knowingly selling it if they were aware of the problem, but I'm bottling tomorrow and am not game enough to use it again so need to grab something else today. I can get some Brewshield from Brewcraft but would prefer to grab some Star San.

The Brewshield doesnt seam to wet surfaces that well, it beads and runs off which doesnt make me confident that its getting everything.

Yeah as I said, they're pretty good there and I dont believe they would be knowingly selling it if they were aware of the problem, but I'm bottling tomorrow and am not game enough to use it again so need to grab something else today. I can get some Brewshield from Brewcraft but would prefer to grab some Star San.

The Brewshield doesnt seam to wet surfaces that well, it beads and runs off which doesnt make me confident that its getting everything.

Grain & Grape stock Starsan if you are needing today.

cheers Ross

Just crash chill the fermenter and put bottling on hold until you can get some starsan. If you have a fridge to fit it in that is. My last blonde ale was cold conditioning for 5 weeks while I had no time spare and it carbed up in the bottle no worries. Crystal clear too :)

Latest posts

Back