How long does it take you to keg your fermented beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just done one now, rinse it with boiling water, then fill it with about 5 litres boiling water run it through the beer line, then a litre of no rinse sanitiser shake the crap out of it run through beer line then fill with sanitised racking cane, about 15 minutes and she's done, been kegging for nigh on four years never pulled down a keg except to replace seals, never had an issue with infection in keg

Rinse the crap outta the bottom with a garden hose

Add a jug full of boiling water & some sodium perc

Shake & leave it on its side with the dip tube closest to the floor

Pour a beer

Finish beer

Empty out sodium perc/water

Rinse & spray with Starsan

Fill keg

= around 10 - 15 minutes

Never had a infection in a keg. Once keg finished, rinse with boiling water, sit for 10 min then upside down for the same.
Flush beer line, effort and rinse keg.

Time to fill keg I just do the same thing minus the line clean, then star san and fill

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

well as I have just bought a 2nd hand keg system and the other day am now totally confused as to how a should go about cleaning them before I use them for the first time. Don't know what the previous owners regime was or whether he has changed any O-rings or seals. First brew I was going to pull everything apart and wash/sanitize. but after reading this I might just rinse them quick sanitise them fill with beer.

No,

First time... Clean them thoroughly. Then you know they are clean.

Pull off the connects, pull out the dip tube, soak everything, GO NUTS on making sure you know they are clean...

Then, you can relax and follow the tips in this thread. Your are spot on, pull 'em apart and clean.

Seriously, can you be too safe?

No.

2c.

govorko1974 said:
well as I have just bought a 2nd hand keg system and the other day am now totally confused as to how a should go about cleaning them before I use them for the first time. Don't know what the previous owners regime was or whether he has changed any O-rings or seals. First brew I was going to pull everything apart and wash/sanitize. but after reading this I might just rinse them quick sanitise them fill with beer.
When getting a second hand keg, I would recommend given them a good pull apart and change the o rings after that you can choose whatever regime suits you. You want to give them a good clean up because you just don't know what's been in them......could of had a wheat beer in them, you want to nuke that shit away.

Just had a keg infection. Over the last week the beer lost all maltiness. Grabbed a sample into the refractometer, 0.998 :wacko:
Tasted like soda water with hops.

professional_drunk said:
Just had a keg infection. Over the last week the beer lost all maltiness. Grabbed a sample into the refractometer, 0.998 :wacko:
Tasted like soda water with hops.
Sounds delicious!!

:)

gave them a good clean out. pulled them all apart. didn't changed any O-rings as they looked ok. all three of them had different set-ups in regards to the dip tube

Back