How long does it take you to keg your fermented beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I to can fit my whole arm inside the keg, makes for easy cleaning

What the hell!

Are you guys actually confused between a Keg and a Bucket?

We are talking cornies yeah? With the little lid?

:eek:

Cocko said:
What the hell!

Are you guys actually confused between a Keg and a Bucket?

We are talking cornies yeah? With the little lid?

:eek:
I reckon if you try real hard you could get it in there.

Was the beer from the now empty keg ok? Yes: rinse with boiling water (shake, press down both the in and out poppets etc) and fill with new beer. No: why did you keg the beer in the first place tosslehead? - clean with sod perc and sod met mix, rinse with boiling water, maybe some starsan.

Do all that other shit every few beers regardless.

3 hours to fill two kegs? **** that.

edit: tosslehead is a rhetorical device.

1. Poor yourself a beer
2. Wash out keg
3. Sanitizer
4. Dispense some sanitizer with Pluto to clean dip tube etc
5.rehydrate yourself by having some beer poured at step 1
6.rinse out
7. Fill with beer

That's it. Did two last night, including filling in about 40 mins.

Cocko said:
Keg blows..

Leave until needed - its full of C02, so why stress.

Need to fill said keg - release pressure, hose out with hot water. Visually inspect, if needed, hit with Perc - if not, just hit with Starsan and up-end to drain.

Fill.

The 2 parts, usually take 10 minutes, so 20 mins max.

IF/WHEN keg needs soaking, do on a different night then kegging night.

Most will argue but 6 years in and no infections [touches jyo's wood] - Why change the procedure.

Find your own method, that works - if you are having issues, change it. If it is working, well if it aint broke etc...

2c'ing.

absolutely. the co2 protect from nasties and give a good clean every 3 or so brews....piece of piss

I had a similar batch in the fermenter to one of the kegs that had just blown so the steps were like this.

Get blown keg out of fridge
Fill with next batch
Put keg back in fridge

I reckon it took me about 7 minutes all up including purging the keg and removing / refitting the gas and beer lines.

rinse/hose scum off bottom.
starsan through keg and tubes
fill
forse carb
drink

20 min max

Get all blown keg that been sitting

Rinse

Strip and soak posts and hit dip tube with brush

Per- c in, put chux on end of brush, no way in the world would I get forearm in.

Rinse with hot water

1 cup star San

Re assemble posts spraying everything with star San, replace orings every second or third time ( buy bags of 100 or eBay for a few dollar)

Shake keg with the star San in.

Purge with co2 and store until ready.

5 - 8 mins a keg, usually do 4-6 at a time depending how many are blown.

Keg day, degas, open lids , empty star San , fill, lube main oring, burp, store until needed.

I usually do this:

1. Rinse with cold water
2. Kettle of boiling water and sodium percarbonate or keg and line cleaner. Shake.
3. Run some out the "out post" and through the taps if they need it. Leave for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse.
5. Rinse with kettle of boiling water, run some through the "out post"
6. C02 purge

Takes about 20 minutes.

It's all about finding a method that works for you and gives you good results.

Screwtop said:
Stuff me! I'd have given it up long ago if it was this much work :lol:

1. When keg blows, rinse with tap water a few times, put a couple of litres of water in the keg with a teaspoon of Sodium Percarbonate and shake. Leave with a sodium perc label for a few days.

2. Tip out Sodium Perc and rinse with tap water a few times, put 2 litres of NoRinse Sanitiser in the keg and store away with a Sanitiser Label until required.

3. Fill from fermenter with gelatine solution in the bottom.

4. Put on Gas

5. Serve after a week

Screwy
Haha, yep, I do this every time.

Hmm, maybe I'm taking this a little seriously when it comes to cleaning and sanitation. I just can't imagine after waiting 4 weeks having it get infected from my keg! In saying that it seems others are far more lax than me and don't have any problems.

The above is basically what I do but I do it in one session. Seems to me that most people do what I do but don't disassemble the posts every time. I always do the posts cause I find the beer connect always has dried beer on it from connecting and disconnecting the tap. Then I figure I may as well do the lot. The other thing is every time i finish a brew I see the hose going to the tap full of dried beer too by the time I put another keg on then I figure I may as well do that too. Those two are the time consuming bit I think - posts and lines cause you gotta pull it all apart and put back together, and hook up to the keg a heap of times.

Think I'll give your method a go Screwy. Also like the sound of Cockos method - a lot of time saved there.

Been an interesting thread too. No way I can get my arm into a corny!

I honestly have been kegging for about 3 years and have never taken my kegs apart completely or changed the O rings. Ive never had an infection and dont have any leaks.
Prob lucky but I just rinse em out with tap water and put the new batch of beer straight in, force carb and drink in 10 mins. I rinse and fill a third of the way with water , half a cup of sodium perc and run it through the lines only when they blow before I have another brew to put in there, and clean my taps out properly every time I see them getting a bit weathered.

Byran said:
I honestly have been kegging for about 3 years and have never taken my kegs apart completely or changed the O rings. Ive never had an infection and dont have any leaks.
Prob lucky but I just rinse em out with tap water and put the new batch of beer straight in, force carb and drink in 10 mins. I rinse and fill a third of the way with water , half a cup of sodium perc and run it through the lines only when they blow before I have another brew to put in there, and clean my taps out properly every time I see them getting a bit weathered.
Basically Byran's method, I haven't had a keg infection yet - coming up 4 years. I treat them as a big bottle - rinse and shake a few times in the garden, some starsan and another shake and drain. Every few "trips" I take out the dip tube and give it a good blow through then replace. I feel that taking everything apart to the last O ring is asking for trouble. These kegs lived for many years as Pepsi syrup containers and no doubt abused, left in dark cellars or on the backs of trucks and I bet they didn't strip them down before every refill. I'd guess a quick steam clean and refill then into the holding area for next delivery.

My standard regime is I run 3 fermenters at a time, and I fill 4 kegs. A fermenter a keg and the left overs from the fermenters goes into a Mongrel keg. So fill 4 kegs and then get the three fermenters running again with a fresh batch of beer all up is normally a bit over an hour. But I do go pretty hard at it as I don't want open kegs and fermenters sitting open to the air for long.

Once every few months I do a full clean that includes ripping the gear down for a full service and is normally done over a couple of days. I would guess around 3 hours all up.

Wow I just found this thread… HAHA Maybe I should do more than what I do LOL.!!!

Release pressure
Rinse with water
10L santizer - shake - run some out the lines.
Fill with water and purge with CO2 so it's completely full of CO2.
Fill with beer.

Max 15mins…..

Latest posts

Back