Keg King S/Steel Uni tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would feel sure that if any IP infringements had been breached we would have heard about it by now. I was holding out for these Guten fermenters before the snub nose appeared, I would be interested in seeing what modifications have been made to them.

I would feel sure that if any IP infringements had been breached we would have heard about it by now. I was holding out for these Guten fermenters before the snub nose appeared, I would be interested in seeing what modifications have been made to them.
True - are you hinting at some close up photos?

No mate just one of the KegKing weldless ones I had on hand. I figured since the thermometer was screw in it should be ok. Just opened up the hole a bit.
Well the seal must be pretty good - been cold crashing for a few days and noticed the Plaato airlock was sucked dry!
I guess that was a lesson learnt!

Hey Kenf, do you still have the thermometer which came with the unit still in situ, it would be good to know the difference in the readings of the thermowell and the thermometer.

Hey Kenf, do you still have the thermometer which came with the unit still in situ, it would be good to know the difference in the readings of the thermowell and the thermometer.
No sadly i don’t - didn’t think about that until afterwards

Well the first brew went well! Could have dumped some hops after the cold crash, but I will learn!
That racking thing made it great to fill kegs and bottles up without using a syphon and the legs made it the right height.
Of course because it was at 1degree C there was no foaming. It’s outside now with some cleaner in it, but in reality all it needed was a hose out!
Sorry WEAL I gave you the wrong info before - it’s not the 20mm KK weldless thermowell. It’s the smaller one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
Well the first brew went well! Could have dumped some hops after the cold crash, but I will learn!
That racking thing made it great to fill kegs and bottles up without using a syphon and the legs made it the right height.
Of course because it was at 1degree C there was no foaming. It’s outside now with some cleaner in it, but in reality all it needed was a hose out!
Sorry WEAL I gave you the wrong info before - it’s not the 20mm KK weldless thermowell. It’s the smaller one.

How'd you fill the keg? I tried to go in through the liquid disconnect, but i think i clogged up the disconnect and post with trub/hops and even after i cleaned it out it was moving so slowly i wasn't sure it was even filling.

Also, anyone got any tips for dumping trub? I tried but it pulled in starsan from the airlock and figure the oxygen intake will do more harm than dumping the trub would do good

How'd you fill the keg? I tried to go in through the liquid disconnect, but i think i clogged up the disconnect and post with trub/hops and even after i cleaned it out it was moving so slowly i wasn't sure it was even filling.

Also, anyone got any tips for dumping trub? I tried but it pulled in starsan from the airlock and figure the oxygen intake will do more harm than dumping the trub would do good
I removed the PLAATO airlock - I’m not so sure about the oxygen problem.
I just gravity fed straight into the keg!
I’m not going to attempt a pressure transfer until the pressure kit is available.

Well haven’t been on here for awhile - been a bit busy!
The modified Grainfather (frankenfather) is gone!
The Digizilla is now part of a 3v system (Thx Cheekypeak) and the Guten fermenter is going fine!
My question - is the pressure kit still coming?
If not has anyone found a suitable method of sealing them?
Cheers

Mods please change the title from "unitank" to FV or similar - despite rumours it clearly isn't a unitank as it stands so the title is misleading.

I removed the PLAATO airlock - I’m not so sure about the oxygen problem.
I just gravity fed straight into the keg!
I’m not going to attempt a pressure transfer until the pressure kit is available.
Early in the new year I was told, but very easy to make your own.

After having a look at the rim I reckon the best way to make it hold pressure is to apply it from the handles of the fermenter, use a roofing hook bolt.
roofing-hook-bolt.jpg
Make a template out of ply to sit over the lid leaving space in the middle for the gas & liquid posts and what ever else you would want switch the hex nut for a wingnut and for just a few dollars you have a pressure kit. Sand it up and stain it and it will look pretty schmick

Seems like a lot of ******* around to make a "unitank" maybe hold pressure to some degree.

Seems like a lot of ******* around to make a "unitank" maybe hold pressure to some degree.
Not a big deal, simple, easy to make, got to hold the same pressure as the lbs force on the handles. Non brewers would probably say its a lot of ******* around to produce a beer, its not only the satisfaction of brewing your own beer, its the challenges one encounters, and overcomes.

I don't have a problem with you proposing an equipment modification but it seems ridiculous that we're still referring to it as a unitank when clearly it's not one off the shelf.

I'd also be hesitant to recommend pressurising a non-pressure-rated vessel with gas, especially without a PRV. People on here are happy to take advice on these things, and copy or follow other people's projects - it's up to you what you're comfortable proposing but I've seen enough failures of equipment in general that I personally wouldn't recommend going down this path. I say this being completely unqualified in the field, but think of the failure mechanisms and the result if it goes wrong and someone's standing or has their hand in the wrong place.

Back