Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Keg King S/Steel Uni tank

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by wide eyed and legless, 6/5/19.

1. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 16/6/19
    Dump valve is 3/4 " on the new, if you are not putting all the trub from the boil in the fermenter the dump valve isn't much use. Two of the toggle clamps on the one in the showroom need a bit of attention, and the holes in the top for the cooling unit are a bit big, some washers could cover them. On the other hand it isn't long to wait.

Truman42 likes this.
  2. Truman42

Home Page:
    Posted 16/6/19
    Yeah true I suppose I can wait six weeks. Lol.

Why did they remove the chilling/heating coils from the lid? I would think they would work quite well.

3. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 16/6/19
    You could have them if you wanted them they go with that unit but you will need a glycol chiller. The fermenting fridge that citizenships is giving away would be ideal, you could then get 2 fermenters in that one.

Truman42 likes this.
  4. Truman42

Home Page:
    Posted 16/6/19
    How do the cooling coils go if you run warm water through them in winter and chilled water in summer instead of needing a glycol unit?
    I was thinking of using a bucket with an aquarium heater or even a fermenter with a heat pad, a brown pump and have it switch the pump and heater on at the same time with an stc. To chill do the same but use a bucket in a fridge that switches on and off with an stc.

I’ve actually got 2 fermenting fridges but was just curious about setting up this coil and if it would be worth doing or not.

5. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 16/6/19
    Why complicate matters by buying something with 2 dodgy toggle clamps and trying to cobble some thing up with aquarium heater, little brown pumps,buckets in fridges and an stc. I have all but carved my name on that solitary unit if it doesn't get sold before the new stock arrives.;)

6. Truman42

Home Page:
    Posted 16/6/19
    Lol. Hang on if you were interested in it you would ha e already brought it when you were there the other day.
    If I did buy it I would put it in my fermenting fridge. I was just thinking down the track if I wanted to have 3 fermenters on the go, how successful it would work with brown pump and chilled/heated water running through the coil.

7. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 16/6/19
    I did want it, I wanted it so bad it hurt, but if I had taken it then and there I would have had to pay full price. And to be fair there would be many prospective punters wanting to view the merchandise. Look if you want two or three fermenters I would hope you could get a better deal.

Truman42 likes this.
  8. Truman42

Home Page:
    Posted 16/6/19
    I probably would have taken it if it was being offered cheaper but Yuri said it was the same price. Besides that I had the missus with me and she thinks home brewing is the cheapest hobby around. I didn’t want to give the game up and spoil it for thousands of other brewers by letting her see how much I was really paying for stainless bling. :bigcheers:

wide eyed and legless likes this.
  9. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 16/6/19
    One of the best things about home brewing is the savings, I don't buy any commercial beer apart from nights out, Dan Murphy is a place I do not dwell. Retailers have been warned of tough times ahead, but a retailer offering wares which can save a considerable amount of 'hard earned' should surely not worry, same goes for the spouses / partners of those of us saving money by brewing our own.
    Rumpole of the barley rests his case.

stevonz and razz like this.
  10. Truman42

Home Page:
    Posted 17/6/19
    Yes I fully agree. I was joking about the missus. She knows what I spend on HB gear. And we do still often go to micros on the weekend for lunch and a few beers.