Keg King kegerator series 4

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the KK videos seem to have been taken down/expired or something since the split. I still have my original instructions and all the useful info (like calibration and actual set up) is referred to in You Tube video links - not helpful if these videos aren't maintained.

Calibration check is fairly easy. Use a jug of water (or glass, but larger volume is less susceptible to temp fluctuations) with a reliable thermometer in it (I emphasis reliable and if you're not sure, test it in an ice slurry. It should read 0C. In boiling water it should read 100C (at or near sea level)). Put it on the floor of the kegerator near to the temp probe (in the S4 it's on the right hand side as you look in halfway up the wall behind a vent cover. Leave the water and thermometer in for a day or two (KK instructions were to leave for two days, but with the fan on or with a small volume of water a day should do it). After that time, compare the temperature of the kegerator prior to you opening the door to that of the thermometer in the water. If they're the same, no adjustment is needed.

If the kegerator is out by a couple of degrees then the temp probe reading needs adjusting. This is easy. Press and hold both the Temp up and down buttons simultaneously until the display shows "SC" (looks like 5C, but I assume stands for 'Set Calibration'). Then press the F/C button once and the display will change to 0 or -1 or what ever it's current adjustment is (mine is currently -2C after my calibration). Then press the up or down buttons to adjust the temperature calibration. It will flash a few times then adjust the reading on your display. So for example if your water temp is 2C and your display is 4C with your current calibration setting at 0C then you'd need to adjust it to -2C. After flashing a few times on -2C, it will quickly show 4C (I think this is to show the old setting), then change to 2C. The kegerator will continue to run to the previously set temp and the calibration only affects the reading of the probe, not what temp you set the fridge at (so if it was 4C before the calibration it will continue to be 4C). Calibration only effects the way the electronics adjusts the signal being sent by the probe (I hope this last bit makes sense).

Questions

1. At 14psi I'm finding my beers undercarbed. Why is this, it's the upper limit of what I've been reading?

2. I calibrated with a glass of water in stubby cooler to 0 degrees and adjusted accordingly. Though, my kegged beer is pouring at around 7 degrees(?) a warm glass and font, but a tadd too warm for up here in the tropics. What gives?

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Jez, I have some answers for you Sir, sorry to keep you waiting (oh, that's ok, it's better late than never. Thank you very much!)

At 14psi, my pours were coming out too fast, with already overcarbed beer. Well, why did it come out undercarbed if it was overcarbed? Because the co2 was being forced out if solution in the heavy pour. To test this for yourself, purge kegs and drop regulator down to 4psi and pour. Is your beer carbed? If so your problem is overcarbed, or lines too short

I ordered longer lines but actually don't think I'll use them. 11psi is pouring great now at 2 degrees due to colder beer holding more co2. I have 5 foot lines btw

Great you seem to have it figured out. Sorry I'm still new to using a kegerator myself so not much help!

okay , i can need a hand with this as well. my lines are 5mm and about 4 metres .

After i poor the 3rd or 4th beer it would appear that they are almost flat . any tips

i serve at 11 to 14 psi and carb at 30 psi for 24 hours , i also just have a kegerator set up. i would post the photo i have of the set up but can't upload

After reading through this whole thread, I'm a bit confused, was considering buying a Kegerator but the few people who have had noise and other issues are kinda putting me off. Are there many that are really happy with their purchase? It's quite a substantial outlay and at the moment I just throw a tap on top of my keg in my fermenting/cold crash fridge. The Kegerators look nice and I have a big party coming up but still on the fence.

Seeing as you already have gas and a reg, $60 gets you a tap, shank, and disconnect. why not just drill a hole or two in your fridge.door, use the long 150mm shanks they act like a heat sink and help keep the taps cold. A 300ltr or bigger fridge (fridge only no freezer section) will accomodate 4 kegs and can be had off gumtree for $100, no thermostat mods needed just drill 4 holes in the door and one in the side for gas in.. I can recommend a 300ltr Westinghouse Freezamate ;-)

After reading through this whole thread, I'm a bit confused, was considering buying a Kegerator but the few people who have had noise and other issues are kinda putting me off. Are there many that are really happy with their purchase? It's quite a substantial outlay and at the moment I just throw a tap on top of my keg in my fermenting/cold crash fridge. The Kegerators look nice and I have a big party coming up but still on the fence.

Heh Josh,

I was one of those ppl who complained about the noise.
I have owned 2 kegerators, a series 3 and a series 4.
My kegerator sits adjacent to my kitchen, and the next room is the lounge.
The gurgling sound I used to complain about, I dont hear any more.
Every now and then, I hear the kegerator kick in.
I guess Im just immune to it now.

My advice. If you plan on locating the kegerator near where you normally reside, maybe consider something else. If its more than 10m away, then the kegerator is ok. My series 3 had issues, the series 4 hasnt had a problem.

Heh Josh,

I was one of those ppl who complained about the noise.
I have owned 2 kegerators, a series 3 and a series 4.
My kegerator sits adjacent to my kitchen, and the next room is the lounge.
The gurgling sound I used to complain about, I dont hear any more.
Every now and then, I hear the kegerator kick in.
I guess Im just immune to it now.

My advice. If you plan on locating the kegerator near where you normally reside, maybe consider something else. If its more than 10m away, then the kegerator is ok. My series 3 had issues, the series 4 hasnt had a problem.
I have a 3 series for fermenting and a 4 series for dispensing. What issues did you have with the 3?

I have got a series 4 in my lounge room right next to my couch, I’m in an apartment so it’s the only place I can put it really. The noise was noticeable at first but it’s really not to bad and got used to it quickly, now I hardly ever notice it and it serves me cold beer.
:cheers:

I have a 3 series for fermenting and a 4 series for dispensing. What issues did you have with the 3?
The series 3 control panel, its a stick on panel, failed me several times. When it fails, it wont turn on. A slight amount of liquid will cause it to fail.

Mine lives in the garage. It’s definitely a gurgler. Not awful but I’m glad it’s not in my lounge room. It’s no worse than my 10 year old mistral bar fridge I ferment in. Must be similar refridgerant.

I have a series 3, most of the noise was from the internal fan, i disconnected and removed it, don't hear any noise now and no noticable difference in maintaining temperature.

I have a series 3, most of the noise was from the internal fan, i disconnected and removed it, don't hear any noise now and no noticable difference in maintaining temperature.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure they changed refridgerant for the series 4.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one up, although my lounge room is adjacent to my dining room(open plan) and this is where it will live so hopefully I become immune to the noise. I like the idea of converting as I already have a fridge down stairs, but I use that for fermenting and cold crashing. I would like something clean looking and all my DIY builds end up working well but looking pretty messy.

Any big changes between the KK and KL kegerators? Only thing I can see is KL being +$15 but you get push in fittings and a different beer line. Lastly, is it worth getting flow control taps or do you find cutting to length pretty easy and a non issue?

Back