Keg Dip Tube filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takai

Reaction score
So normally i filter my beer through a Pope line filter before putting it into the keg. But in my last transfer i forgot to do it and figured that any trub would be just blown out in the first glass.
Sadly hop material isnt quite that compliant and is jamming up on the liquid post.

For this time im considering pulling the access port off and ziptying a sanitised piece of swiss voile to the end of the dip tube to act as a filter.

Any thoughts whether this will actually work, or if the voile will just get jammed up?

Problem is that the hop material is staying in suspension relatively well, hence wanting to filter it as a one off. Otherwise ill drain it back out of the keg into a drum, and clean the keg and then refilter it (with the filter in the tube this time).

I had the same problem with an apple and blueberry cider with some blueberry pulp getting into the keg. I ended up just turning up the serving pressure and pulled it through the tap. Then bleed off the keg and reconnect at normal serving pressure.

I'd imagine it would be an absolute PITA to try and get your hands inside the keg to zip tie the swiss voile.

Or as RdeVjun suggested trimming the dip tube, even though you leave half a glass in each keg, it means you don't pull through any trub on the first and kind of evens out. But as you say you filter so different story.

FWIW this didnt work, gauze just got gunked up instead. Will have to empty, filter and refill.

takai said:
Problem is that the hop material is staying in suspension relatively well, hence wanting to filter it as a one off. Otherwise ill drain it back out of the keg into a drum, and clean the keg and then refilter it (with the filter in the tube this time).
Teaspoon of gelatin added to 100ml of heated water (70c or so) stirred until clear, added to the keg should fix your issue in a few days. Fine to do once carbonated, fine to do once beer is cold.

It should work... but getting sick of mucking around, and given that this is the 4L that i couldnt bottle of a very good IPA that im keen on drinking this Thursday evening with some mates... ill just drain and strain.

Found out why the hop material got through, despite using a GMK filter.... apparently the GMK filters only work if you put the filter element in them.
320px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Latest posts

Back