James Squire Pub Opening In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be up for a pint. Just checking if the better half wanted to meet up.

I'm heading there at 12.30 with a chick from work and to meet a mate for a drink (or two).

I'm heading there at 12.30 with a chick from work and to meet a mate for a drink (or two).

Sorry missed that, did not see you had posted the same time as myself. Maybe another time.

Well it's a pretty damn flash place inside that's for sure. All the JS range is available on tap along with Heinekin and some others. $10 a pint will ensure I won't be visiting there too regularly considering Durty's are a few dollars cheaper. Stupid licencing requirements forcing the bar to be a premium steak house with pricing to match.

Well it's a pretty damn flash place inside that's for sure. All the JS range is available on tap along with Heinekin and some others. $10 a pint will ensure I won't be visiting there too regularly considering Durty's are a few dollars cheaper. Stupid licencing requirements forcing the bar to be a premium steak house with pricing to match.
Well I will pop in for a beer some time but considering I can get a LCPA, Rogers or Coppers for a few bucks less at the Melb think I will be going there.
Don't you love our licensing and planning laws.

Yeah, I paid $5.50 for a small Sundowner. We really are ripped off here in Perth. About the only place you can get a pint for under $9.00 in the city is Bobby's and that's during happy hour. I spent a few days in Melbourne and a couple of weeks in the US. I paid $12.00 US for 2 pints of SNPA in a tourist pub on Hollywood Blvd. What do you think justifies a pub in the Perth CBD charging 50% more for pints of imported megaswill? Wouldn't have thought it's the rent as I'm sure rents on Hollywood Blvd are higher than Murray street. And JS charging $9.00 for their own product? They are obviously price gouging. I won't be frequenting the place. Economy was not one of the reasons I started brewing but after comparing the prices of quality beer in the rest of the world to what we pay here I'd be a fool not to think that brewing my own quality beer is much more rational than handing over wads of cash for a vastly overpriced product. Mind you the weather's nice here and the traffic's not as bad.

... And JS charging $9.00 for their own product? They are obviously price gouging. I won't be frequenting the place...

Why is this price gouging? Sure it's their own product but take for example Tradewinds. I bought 3 pints of Amber ale it was just under $30 these prices seem the norm no? Any places in Perth that do have JS on tap won't be able to compete with TGS if they did lower the prices.

Yeah, I paid $5.50 for a small Sundowner. We really are ripped off here in Perth. About the only place you can get a pint for under $9.00 in the city is Bobby's and that's during happy hour. I spent a few days in Melbourne and a couple of weeks in the US. I paid $12.00 US for 2 pints of SNPA in a tourist pub on Hollywood Blvd. What do you think justifies a pub in the Perth CBD charging 50% more for pints of imported megaswill? Wouldn't have thought it's the rent as I'm sure rents on Hollywood Blvd are higher than Murray street. And JS charging $9.00 for their own product? They are obviously price gouging. I won't be frequenting the place. Economy was not one of the reasons I started brewing but after comparing the prices of quality beer in the rest of the world to what we pay here I'd be a fool not to think that brewing my own quality beer is much more rational than handing over wads of cash for a vastly overpriced product. Mind you the weather's nice here and the traffic's not as bad.

+1 - Its only beer after all. A few weeks ago in the Sydney CBD I was paying $5 for schooners of golden ale. Thats 425ml which equates to $6.50 a pint.

That's a bit BS foles.

I want my cheap beer now please.

Oh for the days when $10 a jug was expensive. It was funny walking to the Squire yesterday seeing how busy Durty's was in comparison to the Squire. Still it was nice to get the IPA on tap and will be interested in tasting what they brew on premises.

I bitch and whine but I'm organising a long lunch in a week or so.

Had dinner there last night, the place is very nicely decked out. No expense would seem to have been spared. Had the fantastic Paella, food was delicious and very friendly, relaxed service. It's huge on the inside; two bars upstairs and a long, multiple tap bar downstairs. $10 per pint is the only thing that will/might stop me going there on a regular basis.

Couple of crappy phone pics:
06102009124.jpg

06102009122.jpg

I bought 3 pints of Amber ale it was just under $30 these prices seem the norm no?

Why is this the norm? You enjoy parting with $30 for 3 drinks? As I said, and as Foles pointed out you can buy beer a lot cheaper in other places (although for some reason Pete2501 appears to think this is untrue?? Perhaps he needs to travel a bit more). It's price gouging because it appears to me that pub owners have a tacit agreement to charge the too much for a pint and the Perth punter is happy to be gouged. It's why we have a totally lifeless restaurant and pub scene compared to just about anywhere. It's fine if you want to pay big dollars in an up-market establishment, but what's wrong with a bit of choice? I mean the Tradewinds is hardly the Ritz Carlton and yet they charge $10 for a pint!? Get outta here! It's a total, unashamed ripoff.

Just for a comparisons sake, and a little off topic, where are other establishments to get decent beers? There has to be a few that offer a good pint at a decent price.

Its $9 at Little Creatures for a Bright if i recall correctly. I went to Basement on Broadway on Saturday and they wanted $13.50 for a pint of Asahi.

Place just up the road from work, basically a hole in the wall with a fridge, sells Corona for $9/stubbie and Asahi I think was $11 or $12.
Just seems to be the average price in Perth, so I don't drink out much.

As a side note, went to the Mash Brewery in Bunbury last weekend, middy of seasonal release beer (which wasn't really that great) $10, but you got a glass with it, so not so bad in the scheme of things. I think their regular pints are up close to $9 as well though.

$10.00 a pint is a bit steep anywhere IMHO

Only $6.40 a pint in Blue sky brewery up here.( last time I was in )

US$10.00 a pint for megaswill in the Irish Village Dubai International Airport.

Now I am wondering why I want to move to Perth with Prices like that. Was drinking JSGA for $4 a schooner close to Sydney CBD last week, and places like Schawrtz and Paddys can do their own brews for similar prices.

Seriously now, and a little OT, is there a cheap pint in Perth?

"Seriously now, and a little OT, is there a cheap pint in Perth?"

Not really if you were running a pub why would you charge less than the place around the corner where there's more than enougth punters to fill all the pubs in perth.

Its why I hardly drink in the CBD everywhere's packed and over priced.

Latest posts

Back