James Squire Pub Opening In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughman666

Reaction score
Hi all,

Walking down Murray St in Perth today I saw a banner at the opening of Shafto Lane for a new pub called The Squire...with a James Squire logo at the bottom.

I doubt that they will be brewing here as the place looks pretty small but if they host beers like The Highwayman I'll be a happy camper!

Excellent... did it say when it was opening wonder were they will fit it... better option then Durty's....

Now that is big news - will walk down at lunchtime and see this sign for myself.

You would think it would be open in june, so im going for sure for tea and a beer for sure.

Unfortunatley I work right across the road! How tragic that now I only have to walk 6m to the pub for Friday beers, rather than 30m to Durty's or 50m to Carnies! :)

Unfortunatley I work right across the road! How tragic that now I only have to walk 6m to the pub for Friday beers, rather than 30m to Durty's or 50m to Carnies! :)

Bugger them both, the BBC is right in that area too!

Will be interesting to see what comes of this Squires location though. The Perth CBD is not a great place for beer geeks.

Ive being doing the extra walk to the Brass Monkey lately... $7.50 for a pint of Fat Yak at the moment!

A little bird told me they'll be brewing there too...

Yeh, but it makes for an expensive week if we spend all Friday there. Carnies has LCPA and Hobgoblin on tap, so makes for a good Friday (if you can avoid the fights...)

Will be interesting to see what comes of this Squires location though. The Perth CBD is not a great place for beer geeks.

It will be the only brewery outlet in the CBD. I reckon it will do very well. Despite how expensive and the fact the Belgian is BUL rubbish, it is busy every night of the week.

In my humble opinion, dedicated brewery outlets are the way to get people into craft beer!

Bring on a Matilda Bay ale house!!!

It will be the only brewery outlet in the CBD. I reckon it will do very well. Despite how expensive and the fact the Belgian is BUL rubbish, it is busy every night of the week.

Agreed - it's a real shame that the Nail gear left Bobby Dazzlers. Still - it's also great to see the quality of the beers they are producing now.

I don't understand what you mean by the Belgian is BUL rubbish though? I realise the Stella is brewed under license, but are you saying that InBev now produce Leffe Blonde/Brune and Hoegaarden locally? The bottled range certainly isn't BUL either. I love stopping in for a Rochefort 10 or Orval when I have a chance.

Is this where the old Frostbites and then a Japanese restaurant used to be? I guess I'll have to check it out on way to train station tonight.

mmmm I work across the road also (well just up a little bit)

Is this where the old Frostbites and then a Japanese restaurant used to be? I guess I'll have to check it out on way to train station tonight.

Just had a look: THE GENEROUS SQUIRE!

being built at the moment - could see the bar inside. And yeah its the old Frostbites. The sketch on the banner looks nothing short of fantastic! This is great news....... :D

Agreed - it's a real shame that the Nail gear left Bobby Dazzlers. Still - it's also great to see the quality of the beers they are producing now.

I don't understand what you mean by the Belgian is BUL rubbish though? I realise the Stella is brewed under license, but are you saying that InBev now produce Leffe Blonde/Brune and Hoegaarden locally? The bottled range certainly isn't BUL either. I love stopping in for a Rochefort 10 or Orval when I have a chance.

It seems the leffe stuff is BUL - certainly isnt a patch on the Belgian stuff anyway. Cant say for certain though, but remember someone telling me.
And I like the idea of bottled stuff - but paid $50 for a round of 3 westmalle tripels that all were undrinkable - bad bottles. Its a tough gig getting delicate beers all the way to Perth in good shape I guess.

Just had a look: THE GENEROUS SQUIRE!

being built at the moment - could see the bar inside. And yeah its the old Frostbites. The sketch on the banner looks nothing short of fantastic! This is great news....... :D

Just had a look then before getting some chicken teryaki from Taka. Looks like there's going to be some nice open areas up on the second floor.

Will Durty's loose JS off their taps?

It seems the leffe stuff is BUL - certainly isnt a patch on the Belgian stuff anyway. Cant say for certain though, but remember someone telling me.
And I like the idea of bottled stuff - but paid $50 for a round of 3 westmalle tripels that all were undrinkable - bad bottles. Its a tough gig getting delicate beers all the way to Perth in good shape I guess.

Serious? I personally haven't noticed a difference between them here and in Europe. I didn't know they were viable to BUL over here, I thought it all came out of Leuven. Are the bottles BOL too? I'll admit though, on occasion Hoegaarden on draft is not as fresh as it could be.

I'm surprised they didn't replace the bottles for you? I've not had a bad bottle there, but I'd certainly hope that if I did they'd replace it.

It's a shame they don't stock more variety there though - but I guess thats a part of them being a ALH chain pub.

edit: InBev's brand factsheet doesn't mention licensing for any countries for the Leffe range or Hoegaarden range, it's mentioned for all the other beers BUL though : http://www.ab-inbev.com/pdf/brandfactsheets.pdf

Serious? I personally haven't noticed a difference between them here and in Europe. I didn't know they were viable to BUL over here, I thought it all came out of Leuven. Are the bottles BOL too? I'll admit though, on occasion Hoegaarden on draft is not as fresh as it could be.

I'm surprised they didn't replace the bottles for you? I've not had a bad bottle there, but I'd certainly hope that if I did they'd replace it.

It's a shame they don't stock more variety there though - but I guess thats a part of them being a ALH chain pub.

I didn't bother trying to exchange, was far too busy - so they might have

Ive being doing the extra walk to the Brass Monkey lately... $7.50 for a pint of Fat Yak at the moment!

yep i've been frequenting there too lately as i'm getting a little bored with most CBD drinking establishments....although alpha pale ales at the CBD bar are literally 2 minutes walk from my office...

Hey Kook the Leffe is still fully imported, but CUB soon plan to knock out Hoegaarden in Australia.

Back