James Squire Pub Opening In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funnily enough, this news on the sydney james squire brewhouse website:

"James Squire Golden Hour

- $5 Pints!

$5 Pints of James Squire Beer. What a brilliant way to end the day!"

maybe the perth outfit will follow suit <_<

"Seriously now, and a little OT, is there a cheap pint in Perth?"
Its why I hardly drink in the CBD everywhere's packed and over priced.

I rest my case m'lud. It's overpriced and crowded because of the lack of venues not trying rip you off. Anyway most of the CBD drinkers are the Red Bull and vodka crowd who don't know how to drink, are blind by 9 and are just out to be seen.

I'm pretty sure I was paying $7.50 for Monteiths in Northbridge on Saturday.

Anyhow, I just got back for the Generous Squire after taking the missus to dinner. There was no-one else dining, so the service as pretty awesome. I hadn't so much as finished my last mouthful of beer before being offered another. The food was really good too! The bar itself was doing pretty good for a Wednesday, and I noticed a lot of people were ordering Sundowner. Much to my dismay, they'd actually run out of Amber, and they had another tap labeled "Docklands Pale" which the bartender said was made at the brewhouse in Vic, and they were just selling it until they got their house beers up and going. They were out of that too! But said they were getting more in tomorrow. I have a bit of a pale ale thing going on at the moment, so I aim to get back to try it before it goes away. Also, I really like the upstairs bit. Definitely worth checking out.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='532914' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:12 PM']Seriously now, and a little OT, is there a cheap pint in Perth?[/quote]

I'm sure i was paying $6 a pint at the Flying Scotsman not long ago and they have a pizza and pint deal on a sunday for $10
so yes still bargains to be found!

Rob.

Maybe we should start a new thread of where you can get a special offer on a pint and a feed in Perth.

....Might be a short thread tho :(

DrinkBeer

$30 for 3 pints isn't good.

This is why I only go out to a pub once every two months or so. Tradewinds was the first time I've been to a pub since... The Canning Vale pub nearly 2 months prior.

I'm not saying I like it but I don't get up in arms about it either. I just stay at home most of the time. We have work colleges from the eastern states that come over for work etc. and explain how cheap a pub meal amd booze is over there. I know we're getting ripped off but I'm just as happy to stay in doors. I like cooking. I like hosting. I like brewing beer and drinking my handy work.

All the same I like JS beers so I'll be going to this place as I've wanted to have a LOOOOng friday lunch for some time now.

funnily enough, this news on the sydney james squire brewhouse website:

"James Squire Golden Hour

- $5 Pints!

$5 Pints of James Squire Beer. What a brilliant way to end the day!"

maybe the perth outfit will follow suit <_<

Pints are only $8.50 IIRC at the sydney brewhouse. But hey, even a $6 or $7 happy hour would be welcome.

I think paying $6 for a pint of Tooheys Old is rough, so getting used to those prices might take a bit. Will have to step on the home brew as soon as I get over there.

Ever since the various Accords came in to Perth, Fremantly and Northbridge the price of alcohol has increased. They keep trying to reduce alcohol related problems but increasing the price and heavily regulating the market doesn't do it. Even happy hours are frowned upon by the council, police and liquor board. If they do have happy hour it's only $1-$2 off the normal price. Having the liquor board make it very difficult for people to get licences and then placing a number of rules on them just shows the mentality of Perth. Welcome to the overpriced, over policed nanny state.

You guys are mental... I don't know what pubs you go to but while $10 for a pint is not great, it's certainly not anything to be shocked at, in my experience!

I can't wait to head down to the generous squire sometime in the next few weeks!!! Sooooooo stoked.

I get a Rogers for $8 at the Melbourne and I think the LCPA is the same price.

Hey Guys,

Ended up at the Generous Squire last night for a feed and worked my way thru the taps, I must admit i wasn't holding a lot of hope for the place
call me cynical i don't mind but.... was plesantly suprised, even tho the the place was raging the service was still fantastic almost to the extent of being over serviced,
the meals were great I had the Convict's Tucker Bag and the missus had the Chilli Mussles, she is a Chilli Mussles Nazi and would easily send anything she is even partially unhappy with back to the kitchen but she rated them. The beers were all at their freshest, my only gripe was they were served colder than i have ever experienced before in any pub, so as long as you order one pint ahead at a time you'll be right! The actual brewery itself is still in bits and pieces so the Dockside Pale was on tap in place of the onsite brews. It didn't last too long before the keg ran dry.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

Rob.

IMG_0351.JPG

Just some crappy iphone pics, I did take some proper ones on my digital camera but seem to have misplaced it :p

in my experience!

I think this is the key phrase. People are so stoked to eat overpriced food and drink overpriced beverages because Perth is a very isolated place and a lot of people don't travel outside the state. I don't have a problem with businesses making a profit but price gouging is a different matter. As has been said being ripped off leads to a "stay at home" mentality and thus we don't see much diversity in the entertainment market both on a cost and type basis. It's wasn't always the case, there used to be quite a few lower end pubs in the CBD but not anymore. Frankly I'd sacrifice aesthetics for price in most circumstances. BTW, I hope the brewers are small as the brewhouse is very tight.

rob: Did you get to try to Docklands Pale??

I had the Convicts Tucker Bag too. Loved it :D

rob: Did you get to try to Docklands Pale??

Hey Mate,

Yup, The pour i had was fairly murkey, had a bit of earthy hop spice in the aroma, low bitterness, bready malt in the flavour and quite a thin body
saying all that i did enjoy it,

Not sure what style it is supposed to be it reminds me of the aussie ale recipe i brew at home.

Looking forward to trying Shaftos Reward when it's available!

Rob.

Cool! Going to make it my mission to have a glass before they scrap it :p

I'm looking forward to their wheat beer too...But I have a bit of a wheat beer thing going on at the moment o_O

I have a bit of a pale ale thing going on at the moment

But I have a bit of a wheat beer thing going on at the moment o_O

:ph34r: Are you sure you don't just have a Beer in general thing going on atm....

IS that thier low carb malternative

me man boobs aren't that much of a problem :unsure:

it will be an ESB

"Shaftos Reward, 3.8 4.2%, English Style bitter ale"

Ever since the various Accords came in to Perth, Fremantly and Northbridge the price of alcohol has increased. They keep trying to reduce alcohol related problems but increasing the price and heavily regulating the market doesn't do it. Even happy hours are frowned upon by the council, police and liquor board. If they do have happy hour it's only $1-$2 off the normal price. Having the liquor board make it very difficult for people to get licences and then placing a number of rules on them just shows the mentality of Perth. Welcome to the overpriced, over policed nanny state.

couldn't of said it better myself, you just have to take a look at that rob johnstone to figure Perth has become VERY conservative....

Latest posts

Back