Isb Brewday @ Flops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like fun - sounds like I'm too late to bring a cube along, but if you are happy to have a newbie interloper coming along for a while with some beer (my first trys at extracts and AG) to critique, then I'd like to be there.

Definitely happy. Bring along some beers to share and there'll be plenty of drinking and talking beer. :icon_cheers:

Definitely happy. Bring along some beers to share and there'll be plenty of drinking and talking beer. :icon_cheers:

And your barbecue item of choice (that goes for the rest of you as well), for charcoaling by the resident Masterchef

looks like I'll have to work, which sucks I was keen on a few beers.

Never fear I'll work out a way to deliver the hops.

Sad to hear that Luke, haven't seen yas for ages. Let us know best way to get hold of and compensate for the hops. Oh and feel free to..... ahem..... improve on the quantities in the posted recipes.

What time are you thinking of finishing up? i.e. Kicking us out

What time are you thinking of finishing up? i.e. Kicking us out

When the beer runs out :party:

The boys playroom has had a few additions since you guys were last there. I've inherited the family pool table and have setup a HTPC and projector screen in there as well. The fusball table is still there. That should keep you blokes busy for a while when we've finished the brew!!!!!

No major committments Mike, whenever we've had enough.

awesome.. I thought it was today, Saturday... I can make tomorrow sunday.

Well done big fella ,, finally worked out what that funny thing on the wall with the numbers on it is for :rolleyes:

Can someone write a review of the day and take some photos for a story to put into the Canberra Brewers monthly magazine please and send to me .. Show them how the rest of the brewing world operates. Also please talk up the Nationals and Club Night .. ISB was there last year and should be there again ! Start the planning now.

Thanks

it clicked last night when craig emailed about bottles for me. i think its because they are normally on saturday

actually i had the car all packed with the non perishables already, ive got the grain and yeast from gerard plus my mill. im going to need a hand when i get there 2 unpack the car as im getting dropped off and then picked up again.
oh and for the chilli heads i got some hot shot sausages which ive been told have a fair kick this time.

Running repair carried out to the mash paddle

14062009211.jpg

Boiling away

14062009210.jpg

was a good day, i had a ball.
heres my pics
just after the breakage of the paddle
14062009011.jpg

the guys around the kettle
14062009013.jpg

the boil with the hops
14062009014.jpg

14062009012.jpg

the boys cleaning up at the end
14062009015.jpg

Looks like it was fun.
Thanks for the invite, Stu.
Sorry I couldn't make it, but had to do the rounds of Ikea instead, to make up for last Saturday. :-(
The only good thing about Rhodes Shopping Centre is Shorty's Liquor.
Got some Sam Smiths (Taddy & Nut Brown) and a trashy mag (BYO) to help alleviate the pain. :)

All the best,
Pete

Thanks for the hospitality Gav, and the usual plethora of beers from the participants,the yeast from Gerard, the growler from Les and the general good company. Just love seeing that big ol brew pot bubling away whilst the gas bottle freezes over. :)
Whats the next group activity? Visit to Paddy's or the taphouse?

Turned out to be pretty good day albeit with the usual trials thrown in along the way.

Me learning that pretty wooden mash paddles are not made for a liquor to grist of 1!!!!!

Nice work from Luke on the paddle repair using my antique drill (and for the cheese hops!!!) and barls for getting me another 12 months out of that extension cord.

The weather, we always seem to get rain when you blokes come over, despite whatever forecast it is.

Craig relying on this great cities public transport system!!!

Myself again for a couple of tap on hose removals.

And despite all that, we hit our grav and volume although as always those last 10 litres.............................

Massive biggups to Gerard. I'd heard of days where the biggish breweries would be happy to give away their left over yeast to homebrewers, with blokes like that maybe those days are back again. And neatly packed into seperate containers as well, absoluely sensational.
Craig I'm pretty sure you forgot your yeast, drop me a message and we'll get it to you somehow.

And welcome to our new rookies Chris and Mike. Chris you'll have to post the recipe of those Pork fillets and where you got 'em from. There were none left by 7pm.

14062009016_sm.JPG

14062009020_sm.JPG

14062009022_sm.JPG

14062009024_sm.JPG

Turned out to be pretty good day albeit with the usual trials thrown in along the way.

Me learning that pretty wooden mash paddles are not made for a liquor to grist of 1!!!!!

Nice work from Luke on the paddle repair using my antique drill (and for the cheese hops!!!) and barls for getting me another 12 months out of that extension cord.

The weather, we always seem to get rain when you blokes come over, despite whatever forecast it is.

Craig relying on this great cities public transport system!!!

Myself again for a couple of tap on hose removals.

And despite all that, we hit our grav and volume although as always those last 10 litres.............................

Massive biggups to Gerard. I'd heard of days where the biggish breweries would be happy to give away their left over yeast to homebrewers, with blokes like that maybe those days are back again. And neatly packed into seperate containers as well, absoluely sensational.
Craig I'm pretty sure you forgot your yeast, drop me a message and we'll get it to you somehow.

And welcome to our new rookies Chris and Mike. Chris you'll have to post the recipe of those Pork fillets and where you got 'em from. There were none left by 7pm.

View attachment 28064

Lots of fun... nobody drilled their leg which is always a good thing!

I have a copy of the recipe of the marinade *somwhere*, will find that and post it here along with where to buy cheap pork fillet. Thanks for all the interesting beer - looking forward to next time (a bit worried about Barls and his fruit beers :p though).

Thanks for the hospitality Gav, and the usual plethora of beers from the participants,the yeast from Gerard, the growler from Les and the general good company. Just love seeing that big ol brew pot bubling away whilst the gas bottle freezes over. :)
Whats the next group activity? Visit to Paddy's or the taphouse?

If I get enough notice, a day at paddy's is always easy to sort out. I can even throw on the free sausage sizzle on a Saturday arvo & we can refill those yeast containers!
Cheers
Gerard

If I get enough notice, a day at paddy's is always easy to sort out. I can even throw on the free sausage sizzle on a Saturday arvo & we can refill those yeast containers!
Cheers
Gerard
They still doing maid service there on a friday arvo?

Got too much on hand Mike, need another day at your joint to knock that stash down a bit :party:

Couldn't edit my top post for some reason so I've put it here. Please post some comments on preferred food options kids.

OK, here is the recipe I had in mind. All comments, suggestions welcome, I'm least certain about the hop bill but keen to keep the malt setup pretty close

name quantity potential use colour
Wey Pilsner 44.3% 313 HWE mash 4 EBC
Joe White Munich 49.9% 309 HWE mash 15 EBC
black or carafa special III 1.3% 310 HWE mash 1300 EBC
Carapils 2.2% 271 HWE mash 6 EBC
Joe White Roasted Barley 1.2% 290 HWE mash 1200 EBC
Joe White Chocolate 1.2% 290 HWE mash 750 EBC

Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 45.0 g 10 1.5
Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 60.0 g 20 3.4
Saaz b (NZ) pellet 8.0% 75.0 g 60 24.4

Single step mash @ 66 deg or maybe include a protein rest around 52 deg.

OG 1.050
IBU 29
Colour 52 EBC
BU:GU 0.58
BG 1.045

One other thing, we haven't done a yeast swap for a while, I've got the following if anyone wants one.

WLP838 Sthn German Lager
WY1099 Whitbread Ale
WLP530 Abbey Ale
WLP001 California Ale

Hi floppinab,

I couldn't come to the brew day, but I would love to swap some yeast.

I would love one each of the WLP838, WY1099 and WLP001.

I could offer you the following:
WLP830 German Lager
WLP013 London Ale
WLP300 Hefeweizen
Coopers
WLP800 Pilsner
I'm in Petersham. Where are you?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi floppinab,

I couldn't come to the brew day, but I would love to swap some yeast.

I would love one each of the WLP838, WY1099 and WLP001.

I could offer you the following:
WLP830 German Lager
WLP013 London Ale
WLP300 Hefeweizen
Coopers
WLP800 Pilsner
I'm in Petersham. Where are you?

Cheers,

Michael

Check your PM Michael

Latest posts

Back