Isb Brewday @ Flops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floppinab

Reaction score
Long overdue brewday posting..............

Day : I'd put aside Sunday 14th of June thinking I'd get this post up a couple of weeks back, we're still a good two and a half weeks out from this date. I'd spoken with croz and Stu and they said it should suit them so unless there is a lot of objection here to this date let's stick with it and pull the bits together, otherwise I can find another date a bit later down the track. It will have to be a Sunday though. Unfortunately I can't do the Aussie Biggest Brewday, 26 Jul. no good for me.

Time : Aiming for a 10.30am mash in so a 9.30 arrival
Food : Could do pizzas for a change but I'm quite happy to put a few salads together if you want to bring your barbecue offering of choice.

Beer : I've got plenty on tap atm albeit with the keg chest freezer slowly heading south I'm finding it hard to keep 'em nice and cold

Brew : Schwarzbier. croz and I made one of these last year. I've tweaked the recipe a bit and will post on here tonight (I'm at work atm).

Would be good to have a chat about the Castle Hill Show as well, no doubt Stu will have plenty of jobs for everyone!!!!

All welcome, please put your name in for attendance and/or 20L cube below :

1. floppinab attending cube

Long overdue brewday posting..............

Day : I'd put aside Sunday 14th of June

2. Stuster attending cube

I'll be coming along for sure, floppinab. Looking forward to it (as you perhaps know :icon_cheers: ). Schwarz sounds great. Might be time to brew some lagers I think.

And will definitely be trying to palm off all the comp work so just avoid me if you don't want to get roped into it. :rolleyes:

3. barls attending cube

ive got to check with the calendar when she gets home but should be good.
this staves off the raids on my place for belgian beers

3. barls attending cube
4. Mike attending no cube

3. barls attending cube
5. redb attending cube

Got too much on hand Mike, need another day at your joint to knock that stash down a bit :party:

Couldn't edit my top post for some reason so I've put it here. Please post some comments on preferred food options kids.

OK, here is the recipe I had in mind. All comments, suggestions welcome, I'm least certain about the hop bill but keen to keep the malt setup pretty close

name quantity potential use colour
Wey Pilsner 44.3% 313 HWE mash 4 EBC
Joe White Munich 49.9% 309 HWE mash 15 EBC
black or carafa special III 1.3% 310 HWE mash 1300 EBC
Carapils 2.2% 271 HWE mash 6 EBC
Joe White Roasted Barley 1.2% 290 HWE mash 1200 EBC
Joe White Chocolate 1.2% 290 HWE mash 750 EBC

Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 45.0 g 10 1.5
Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 60.0 g 20 3.4
Saaz b (NZ) pellet 8.0% 75.0 g 60 24.4

Single step mash @ 66 deg or maybe include a protein rest around 52 deg.

OG 1.050
IBU 29
Colour 52 EBC
BU:GU 0.58
BG 1.045

One other thing, we haven't done a yeast swap for a while, I've got the following if anyone wants one.

WLP838 Sthn German Lager
WY1099 Whitbread Ale
WLP530 Abbey Ale
WLP001 California Ale

What sort of batch size is that for? Hops look ok, though since we're no-chilling I think we could add the last addition nearer the end, depending on what we want from it. Personally, I think we could skip the carapils. What about the roast barley? Since you made this last year, I guess you already know, but did you find it a bit too harsh? I was just thinking we could stick with more Weyermann dark malts.

Re. the hops just looking at the balance Stu, will adjust the final quantities based on the final volume.
Re. the malt bill, just looking at it again, not sure I'm happy with it either. I still tend to use a bit of carapils due poor temp control in my system leading to some of my beers ending up a bit thin, could drop that back a bit.
Didn't use Roast Barley last time Stu, I know we don't want to have a prominent roast character but I reckon there should be a bit and IMO was lacking in the one we did last year.
I'll have another crack at it, drop back the carapils, up the Choc and Black a bit.

im happy with what ever food option is decided on

Would be good to see you there, OBM.

Especially if you are bringing a big pack of Saaz. :icon_cheers:

Yes Gav, way too much fermenting, brewing etc going on at my place have been sick for a couple of weeks so consumption is down, got the kegs and bottles carefully allocated to this years comp brewing

3. barls attending cube
5. redb attending cube
6. Crozdog probably attending, leaving & returning cube

Bugger, This is the only day we can catch up with the crowd we're going sailing with in Thailand to sort out food etc before we go, so I'll be able to come in the morning & return later.

Want any gear? B)

have saaz, carapils, roast etc on hand if you want any

Maybe we could use up some of my kilo 1.5 of saaz plugs.

Does that mean you are in big boy???

Want any gear? cool.gif

Hmmmm, let me think........!!!!!!!

So looking at around 100L post boil atm. I'll do last call COB 1st of June. Any ideas on where to get the base malts, on 100L whats that around 12 odd kgs each of the Pils and Munich???

i might have some pils floating around.
ill have a look.
also got some equipment if needed

Last call on this one, if that's who we've got then I'll post a final version of the recipe with locked in volumes tomorrow. I'll probably do the malt bill through Dave if we can't put it together collectively. Those Saazzzee's available Luke?? You coming.

ive got a nine kg bucket of pils sitting out there.
also i work just down the road from daves if you need it picked up.
also if its alright can i put kel's father wayne down 4 a cube?

OK, Final recipe as below for 120L/6 cubes (that includes the extra one for you barls). A few things,
Phil has a choice of mash tuns.......... of course..........!!!!! Given our volume I'd rather use his 90L rather than MOAMT but that is a little small for our volume meaning we'd need 2 sparges to hit our target volume. This be a problem???

I've got enough Black and Roast and unless someone has got a decent volume of those base malts plus the Choc lieing around I'll go ahead and order from Dave. Ditto the hops.
Any other thoughts post 'em up. Apologies for the lack of formatting, me is lazy!!!

Recipe Specs
brewer ISB
recipe vol 120.00 L
post boil vol 124.00 L
OG 1.051
IBU 30
Colour 59 EBC
BU:GU 0.57
pre boil vol 180.00 L
BG 1.035
extract 16.51 kg
grain mass 29.40 kg
Brewday Assumptions
mash efficiency 70%
loss to grain 1.10 L/kg
mashtun dead volume 1.00 L
mashtun equivalent 1.20 L
hop utilization factor 100%

Fermentables
name quantity potential use colour
JW Pilsner 13.00 kg 313 HWE mash 4 EBC
Joe White Munich 15.00 kg 309 HWE mash 15 EBC
black or carafa special III 0.30 kg 310 HWE mash 1300 EBC
Joe White Roasted Barley 0.30 kg 290 HWE mash 1200 EBC
Joe White Chocolate 0.80 kg 290 HWE mash 750 EBC

Hops
name form AA Qty time IBU
Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 75.0 g 0 0.0
Saaz (Czech) pellet 2.3% 100.0 g 15 3.0
Saaz b (NZ) pellet 8.0% 125.0 g 60 26.5
total hops 300.0 g

Mash Schedule
start temp grainmass startwater wateraddition targettemp striketemp water/grain tokettle timemin
20 C 29.40 kg 0.00 L 30.00 L 55 C 70 C 1.02 L/kg 0.00 L 20
55 C 29.40 kg 30.00 L 30.00 L 66 C 82 C 2.04 L/kg 0.00 L 60
66 C 29.40 kg 60.00 L 30.00 L 74 C 93 C 3.06 L/kg 60.00 L 15
74 C 29.40 kg 30.00 L 60.00 L 74 C 74 C 3.06 L/kg 60.00 L 0
74 C 29.40 kg 30.00 L 60.00 L 74 C 74 C 3.06 L/kg 60.00 L 0
total additions 210.00 L total time 95
mashtun losses -33.34 L
total 176.66 L

Latest posts

Back