Is This Brew Ok

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, after some advice regarding latest brew. i put this brew (k & k) down on the 16th of april and have just gone to put it in the keg. i use gladwrap and on taking it off have noticed a white film acroos the top of the brew. i have yet to leave a brew for so long and have not seen this and was wondering will it still be ok to keg? i usually keg after 7 days not 12.
cheers.

Taste the beer from under the film (via the tap, don't disturb the film), if it's good then keg and drink ASAP. If it's an acetobacter infection (tastes like vinegar) it's most likely come from contact with o2 which it feeds on, so the beer under it is most likely ok, but it may not be for long, how long I don't know.

Pictures tell a thousand words ;)

Edit: I leave all my beers for at least 2 weeks with no probs so that's not your issue, assuming you have one

I lost 5 litres of stout because I thought it had an infection. I regret that.

12 days in the fermenter is no problem.

Like Pennywise I leave all my beers for at least 2 weeks in primary (I've left a strong stout for almost 4 weeks in primary).
Have a taste, if it tastes ok to you then keg it and drink it. :beer:
If it tastes like something the cat threw up, tip it. :icon_vomit:

any ideas on what the white film is ? the top smells horrible but have had a taste and seems ok. normally dont taste though.

Can you take a pic of it? Preferably just before you keg it so as to not invite more chance of infection, or through the glad wrap if possible. For me, the smell in the fermentor once it's done doesn't smell that crash hot either, there's alot of pretty disgusting aromas from the fermentation, which is good really because it's not in your beer. Only smell I do love is the smell of 3068, always smells good

sorry all i have already kegged. it was just that i haven,t seen it before. hopefully it will be ok. force carbing now. will post on saturday as to the verdict.

.. given that it "taste ... seems ok" ..... drink it ASAP....

reinforcing what the others have told you, may people leave their beer in the primary for a lot longer than the short time (7? days) that a beer can be fermented.
i always leave for 3 weeks, and sometimes 4...
now that I CC... it's usually 3 weeks at fermenting temp ... and then a week at 1 degree.

photo's mate.. really hard without them
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have the exact same issue, this beers been on the Coopers tub for about 12 days and developed the film, taste and smell when testing appears ok.
Is it ok to bottle?

its a tooheys draught kit with Coopers brew enhancer 1, and temp has been around 23c Pics

General consensus would be to follow through and bottle,age to requirements then taste again tip it out if its sour.

Yep, asap if it's reached terminal gravity. Try not to disturb the stuff on top and leave a good few liters left in the fermentor. I'd also bottle in PET only, just in case

Yep, asap if it's reached terminal gravity. Try not to disturb the stuff on top and leave a good few liters left in the fermentor. I'd also bottle in PET only, just in case

Hi, tried moving the container slightly to make it easier to bottle and the film all dissolved into the mix, taste was sour so threw it.

Trying a Canadian Blonde now!

Thanks

Hi, tried moving the container slightly to make it easier to bottle and the film all dissolved into the mix, taste was sour so threw it.

Just make sure you clean and sanitise the fermenter very well to ensure there are no foreign organisms still in there! :icon_cheers:

my first batch had a layer of film on top after fermenting for 12 days and was very tasty

shaun

Thanks
Good move!, Fill us all in about cleaning these fermenters. I bet no right angle lips on the lid etc

had a taste last night and all seems well. looked very similar to caleb2003 pictures. the taste seems homebrewy compared to the last few brews but glad not to have to throw. could it have been a minor cleaning issue?

Thanks

Deffinatly a good move tipping it. Out of curiosity, how long did it take for fermentation to start on this one? First, well, second step after making sure your sanitation is up to scratch, would be to get the yeast working as soon as possible to get a nice layer of co2 covering the wort by hydrating the yeast per manufacturers instructions, or if just sprinkling, think about pitching 2 packs of yeast.

Back