Is A 60l Mash Tun Big Enough?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Just a quick question.

I am slowly getting together my AG gear and looking to use this as my mash tun

Mash tun

Would 60 L be ok? I thinking it would be a great size.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Pok

Just a quick question.

Mash tun

Any suggestions?

Cheers Pok

That looks bloody sensational.....will be plenty big enough. $69.00 too - bargain. Just stick a false bottom in and a tap. :super:
Cheers
Steve

Just a quick question.

Mash tun

Any suggestions?

Cheers Pok

Well, I guess it depends on how big your batches are going to be. I use a 36L jobbie and can manage 28L into the fermenter of a typical strength beer (ie. 4.5 - 7% ABV).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michael. :)

Just a quick question.

Mash tun

Any suggestions?

Cheers Pok
Pok

60 litres should allow you to do double batches and batch sparge.
Nice brew bling factor too :p

Cheers,

Craig

You could probably make a pretty nifty fermenter out of it too. :super:

Edit: Pok I use a 50 litre mashtun and can get around 12-13kg of grain in with a LG ratio of 3:1

Warren -

ok. thanks guys. looks the goods.

so guys if u see me bidding on that bit of bling..... be nice :p

Pok

Pok, watch out for the postage cost. Its astronomical!

Quick question, SWMBO god love her bought me a 26L esky that I thought I might use as a mash tun, If I want to do an average batch of around 20L with 7kg of grain will this be big enough or do I need to break her heart and go out and get a bigger one? :huh:

Cheers
DK

Quick question, SWMBO god love her bought me a 26L esky that I thought I might use as a mash tun, If I want to do an average batch of around 20L with 7kg of grain will this be big enough or do I need to break her heart and go out and get a bigger one? :huh:

DK, a 26L esky should be fine for standard size batches. I don't think you'd need to use that much grain though. Maybe up to 6kg depending on your efficiency, but 4-5kg of grain for a 1050 strength batch of 20L should be enough with reasonable efficiency. It'll be reasonably tight with that size, but plenty of people manage to do batches that big with a 20L mash tun. Should be fine, hold on to it and you keep her happy. :super:

DK, a 26L esky should be fine for standard size batches.

Thanks Stuster, I have a great bock recipe that works really well when doing it via BIAB, it uses 7kg of grain, now i want to step up and try the more traditional method of brewing and was hoping my new esky would be big enough.
Cheers
DK

Ah, should be fine with 7kg anyway. :D

Maybe mash-in with a 2.5L/kg water to grain ratio just so you don't have the water lapping round the edges. You can check with the 'Can I mash it' calculator, at this link. Rackers mash calculator.

Oh, and what's the recipe BTW?

I've got a 44L esky mash tun and have had it filled almost to the brim with 27L batches when batch sparging (in one big batch)

I'd say that 40+ L is comfortable

But I'd look at some sort of layer of insulation to sit on the actual mash to maintain the temperature so it's not lost to the head space

Cheers

The bigger the better comes to mind lol

I have a 55L rectangle eski and its great for double batches with batch sparging.

But I'd look at some sort of layer of insulation to sit on the actual mash to maintain the temperature so it's not lost to the head space
Cortez,

Care to elaborate? I see this problem with smaller batches when there's a significant amount of head space above the mash in my tun. Do you just use polystyrene cut to fit the shape of your tun?

Cheers,

I use a piece of cut out polystyrene Picture

Though you will find that some people will have reservations to doing this - due to possible leeching from the polystyrene

I have seen a piece of camping mat also used

Cheers
If people are concerned about leeching, perhaps polystyrene wrapped in food grade plastic?

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Go the Clingfilm.....

Cheers
JSB

Just a quick question.

Mash tun

Any suggestions?

Cheers Pok

GOD DAMN.... i forgot about the auction... it sold for $70... o well would have been $145 landed at my house.... which isnt too bad for a 60lt SS cooler... fantastic value if your local!!... will have to watch the next auction.

Pok

There' another one for auction there.

Those things look pretty cool... Mash-tun oh yeah

Boil Kettle - Shove in an electric element and I reckon that baby would be a great and pretty cheap kettle.

Same for a HLT

You could build a whole shiny three vessel stainless systm out of those jobbies for less than you could out of Aluminium pots.

Assuming they would be suitable for hot stuff.

Oh and Fermentor - I reckon it would work, and check out the refridgerated ones he has for a stand alon "cooled" fermentor.

hmmmm, must check bank balance

There' another one for auction there.

Those things look pretty cool... Mash-tun oh yeah

Boil Kettle - Shove in an electric element and I reckon that baby would be a great and pretty cheap kettle.

Same for a HLT

You could build a whole shiny three vessel stainless systm out of those jobbies for less than you could out of Aluminium pots.

Assuming they would be suitable for hot stuff.

Oh and Fermentor - I reckon it would work, and check out the refridgerated ones he has for a stand alon "cooled" fermentor.

hmmmm, must check bank balance

Yes they are pretty darn cool. Im going to watch the next auction. The killer for me is postage. Although my brother lives in brisy and I am going up there in Novemeber so could always just have it sent to his place and pick it up when I get there then bring it home on the plane... But then I have to wait 2 months :(

Why does it have to be so $$ to sent a simple box from qld to nsw :angry:

Any hoo thanks for the info guys, slowly peicing it all together... then the learning / fun begins

Pok

Yes they are pretty darn cool. Im going to watch the next auction. The killer for me is postage. Although my brother lives in brisy and I am going up there in Novemeber so could always just have it sent to his place and pick it up when I get there then bring it home on the plane... But then I have to wait 2 months :(

Why does it have to be so $$ to sent a simple box from qld to nsw :angry:

Any hoo thanks for the info guys, slowly peicing it all together... then the learning / fun begins

Pok

Ok so do i splurge the $144 for this puppy??? Linky

advantages
- Big
- SS
- Bling
- Wheels

Disadvantages
- pricey
- pricey
- pricey

Now does this weigh up?? I was thinking about this and consider the extra $60 (or less) or so that it is extra than for a rubbermaid or similar ( I assume they are around $80... or more?) cooler.... $144 really isn't too bad???

Quick... Help.. only and hour to go.

Pok

Latest posts

Back