Ipa Suggestions/ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi all,
As i may of mentioned previously im new to brewing and would like to get some suggestions or ideas for an IPA?
What type(s) of hops are recommended? Boiling times etc...
Malt additions?
I generally have been using liquid malts with cans so any K&K recipes would be welcomed greatly...
I searched for and IPA today...(just wanted one stubbie) but couldnt find any except for BWS which was the first place i visited...have nothing to compare to although i have the basic idea for an IPA....lotsa hops which i like the sound of and very bitter which appeals to me also..
Help!!
Any other info pertaining to pale ales would be helpful also as i love that style but for some reason havent brewed any yet...maybe im subconsciously waiting for 'ale temps'?!
thanks guys

Hi all,
As i may of mentioned previously im new to brewing and would like to get some suggestions or ideas for an IPA?
What type(s) of hops are recommended? Boiling times etc...
Malt additions?
I generally have been using liquid malts with cans so any K&K recipes would be welcomed greatly...
I searched for and IPA today...(just wanted one stubbie) but couldnt find any except for BWS which was the first place i visited...have nothing to compare to although i have the basic idea for an IPA....lotsa hops which i like the sound of and very bitter which appeals to me also..
Help!!
Any other info pertaining to pale ales would be helpful also as i love that style but for some reason havent brewed any yet...maybe im subconsciously waiting for 'ale temps'?!
thanks guys

Mate i just did an IPA using the morgans canadian ipa can, i used
250g of dextrose, 250g of malodextrin andf 500g of light dried malt

I also put in an extra 500g of dext to boost the grog up a bit (ipa is known for its alc content).
For hops i used the MB30 (morgans tea bag) boiled for 20 mins

and the yeast, well i just used the kit yeast. i found it to be very nice really "hoppy" i will def brew again thats for sure. hope this helps!!

I am also pretty new to brewing and would like to brew a nice IPA ,after tasting James Squires IPA I was hooked ,this is what i want to brew next.
Coopers IPA kit
1kg Light dry malt
300g dextrose
fuggles hops ??
safale s-04 yeast.
The reason why im not sure about the fuggles hops is in most of the recipies i see they use different hops but in the JSIPA they use fuggles if anyone can help with this ,Please do , sugestions with amounts and boil times would be nice.

For an IPA Fuggles and/or Goldings are the two most common hops. You want some extra malt in there probably because it is good with a hoppier beer to have some more background in there.

You could also consider steeping some crystal malt of some sort to add a little flavour.

Mate i just did an IPA using the morgans canadian ipa can, i used
250g of dextrose, 250g of malodextrin andf 500g of light dried malt

From the Morgans site:

India Pale Ale - Colour 5 ebc, bitterness 23 ibus
Medium hopped, golden straw colour, light-medium body.

That doesn't sound much like an IPA of any sort to me!

Howdy all, first post here...

I've currently got a partial grain IPA fermenting - a recipe from Charlie Papazian's book.
Malt & Amber LME, some crystal malt and toasted malted barley, Northern Brewer's hops in the boil and Cascade hops for finishing (dry-hopped) and Safale US-05 yeast.

Will I get in any kind of trouble for posting the full recipe?

Howdy all, first post here...

I've currently got a partial grain IPA fermenting - a recipe from Charlie Papazian's book.
Malt & Amber LME, some crystal malt and toasted malted barley, Northern Brewer's hops in the boil and Cascade hops for finishing (dry-hopped) and Safale US-05 yeast.

Will I get in any kind of trouble for posting the full recipe?

Why would you get in trouble for posting a recipe?
Go right ahead

I made a Cooper's IPA kit and added a Fuggles tea bag. It was very bitter and even after three months in the bottles the hoppiness is a bit overwhelming. The next IPA I make I will just rely on the kit and liquid malt tin.
:chug:

Why would you get in trouble for posting a recipe?
Go right ahead

I was cautious because the recipe is straight from a book... copyright issues etc. Anyway if nobody has any issues, here goes!

Palilalia India Pale Ale

To make 5 gallons (19L)

Ingredients
• 2kg Light LME
• 500g Amber LME
• 500g Caramalt (Light crystal malt cracked grain)
• 175g Roasted Barley
• Safale US-05 dry ale yeast
• 50g Northern Brewer hop pellets 9.8%AA (boil)
• 25g Cascade hop pellets 6.1%AA (finishing)

Method
• Steep grains in grain bag in 5.7L water at 65-70C for 30 mins, remove grains.
• Bring to boil, add malt extract and Northern Brewer hops – rolling boil for 60 mins.
• Cool to 20C and sparged into fermenter, top to 20L & pitch yeast.

Ferment for 7-10 days and rack to secondary fermenter with Cascade hops.
Bottle after 1-2 weeks, allow to age 2-3 weeks before drinking.

Edit: OG should be around 1.052-1.056, FG 1.014-1.018

Bitterness: 50 IBU, Colour: 10-15 SRM (20-30 EBC)

The recipe was taken from a book called The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charles Papazian. Excellent book for homebrewers of all levels.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Homebrewing...4649&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I put down an IPA last week it was for 50L though so resize if needed.

7kg liquid malt
2kg light dry malt
50g Target hops 60 mins
50g Fuggle hops 30 mins
40g Goldings hops 5mins

Racked it into secondary last night and had a taste. Very hoppy and has an awesome fruitiness to it, almost a bit like passionfruit i think. I think it tastes great and will only get better with time.

I added some Fuggles and Goldings to a Thomas Coopers IPA kit and it turned out REALLY bitter and hoppy.

Start by just using the IPA kit and some malts or enhancers of your choice. Alter the hopping in later batches if you choose to.

Standard K&K of adding just one kilo to a kit won't give you really good IPA, just a beer 'in the style' of IPA. True IPA starts at about 5.5% ABV and for that you'll need at least 2 kg added to a kit or more!

here's my 2006 IPA recipe:

1 can Thomas Coopers IPA
1.5 kg can Coopers Light Liquid Malt ( or 1kg dry malt )
0.5 kg Light Dry malt
0.75 kg Brew Enhancer 2
25 g Fuggles boiled 30 min.

I just used the kit yeast, seems to work OK as these kits only come
from HBS so yeast in still viable.

This year I used the Muntons Gold IPA kit, and added a full can
of liquid malt to up the ABV. Made a really nice beer, but wasn't cheap
at $32 for the kit plus another $10 for the extra malt. But then the 2006 version cost over
$40 anyway, so not TOO bad for a REAL IPA.

Always BOIL your Fuggles, even if only for a few minutes, just steeping or even dry hopping yields some indifferent flavours, IMHO, happened twice to me so I know it's true.

Latest posts

Back