IPA Hopping Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips. I'm locked in with my grain bill, got posted home this week but I'll definitely throw in less crystal malt next time I try a similar beer. I'll perhaps substitute the wheat for a bit of rye as well.

I'll go for 4-5 g/L of dry hops and do them for a week to try and get the hop flavours in over the maltiness.

For my taste 100 grams of Caraaroma wouldn't be too much in an IPA, as long as I didn't have any other crystal in there. It depends on which yeast you are using though, so 50 grams would be safer.
TF dark crystal is just too sharp and toffee like for an IPA. Don't know if the medium is much better. Caraaroma just gives a malty caramel flavour and deeper colour.
I've gone off IPA's a bit and especially IPA's without a bit of malt in there as they can just taste a bit too vegetable. I also prefer lower IBU's so I can pick up the different flavours better.
IPA's are easy. Just dump a heap of flameout hops in and no chill. ;)

Kinda have to disagree on the hop bagging Ross, but you and I disagree on stuff all the time ;p. Used em at 2 plants without success, may work better in a smaller environment I guess.

Vegetative flavous I'm guessing are from too long exposure ... i may at 3 days at d rest, 4 days chill and the beer is kegged and gone.

Sorry if I've missed this, but you're chilling method is crucial to the amount of late hopping you should do.

Do you chill?

Spiesy, I haven't got a wort chiller, I put my wort into a cube, throw it in the pool, then put it in the freezer with a wet towel over it. Since I don't chill, does that mean that I should do my biggest hop addition at whirlpool to maintain the hop aromas?

Some people such as myself have sensitive tastebuds to vegetative/herbal/grassy flavours some hops give. Sone love that flavour some hate it.

I have often heard on podcasts from numerous US pros that they dry hop for as little as one day up to 3 only to avoid those vegetable harsh flavours. And some were dry hopping rediculous amounts in hop socks. Like over 5g a litre.

Their thoughts were the goodness is given onto the beer more quickly than the badness.

Me i prefer hop bursting.

GundyBrewer said:
Spiesy, I haven't got a wort chiller, I put my wort into a cube, throw it in the pool, then put it in the freezer with a wet towel over it. Since I don't chill, does that mean that I should do my biggest hop addition at whirlpool to maintain the hop aromas?
Yes.. Or in the cube.. Recently, I only do a single kettle addition, rest into the cube.

Hey guys,

This thread has given me some pointers I’d like to incorporate in a brew I’m doing this weekend.

I hopping to brew an American Pale ale with plenty of floral, citrus and pine hop flavour. Around 5.5% ABV and 40-45 IBU.

I was initially going to use the hop schedule below, but after reading this thread I’m keen to change scrap the mid additions so there are just bittering and late additions.

As Scotty said whirlpool additions can provide the majority of the IBU’s. I’m using Beersmith (v2) which doesn’t calculate late addition IBU contribution very well. Should I list the whirlpool additions as 10 mins additions so I can get a more accurate estimated IBU?

I've got plenty of hops so amounts aren't an issue including US Magnum, Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus, Cascade and Centennial. My only concern is the hop trub building up and blocking the fermenter tap.

The estimated IBU (53.6) in Beersmith appears to be overestimated for partial brews. Previous brews I’ve done were estimated at 37 IBU and they weren’t bitter enough.

As I’m doing a partial should I add the extracts straight to fermenter? In the past I’ve always added at last 15mins of boil and added 10-15% to account for decreased hop utilisation. What are the pros and cons of 15 mins vs straight into the fermenter?

Recipe Specifications (Partial Mash)

Boil Size: 9.50 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 15.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name

1.80 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (4.0 EBC)
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (130.0 EBC)
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min]

10.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Boil 30 min

15.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

15.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

40.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
40.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 m

1.0 pkg US-05 (Yeast Starter)

Mash in 66-67 °C for 60 mins

Mash out 75.6- 76.7°C for 15 mins

Yes.. Or in the cube.. Recently, I only do a single kettle addition, rest into the cube.

Yeah I'm getting good flavour and aroma from cube hopping.

Brew day was yesterday, I ended up going for this hopping schedule.

Amount Variety AA% Time IBU
20 g Simcoe 13.5 60 min 28.65

15 g Centennial 11.8 0 min (WP)
15 g Simcoe 13.5 0 min (WP)

20 g Galaxy 11.8 Cube
20 g Simcoe 13.5 Cube
20 g Centennial 11.8 Cube

30 g Centennial 9.2 Dry Hop 5d
20 g Galaxy 11.8 Dry Hop 5d
30 g Simcoe 13.5 Dry Hop 5d

I mashed at about 64-65 degrees to try and make it a bit drier. My grains were already ordered mixed and I wasn't keen to pick the crystals out one by one.

I haven't had Ballast Point Sculpin yet but I've had Ballast Point Big Eye and enjoyed it, and it looks and tastes like it might have a decent bit of crystal in it too.

Gunna hit it with some Wyeast 1217 later on today anyway.

Thats a lot of tasty hops.
We must have similar tastes.
Ive way under hopped all of my brews so far.
Im going with the theory of just doubbling my estimated schedule every time.

/// said:
Yes i am poking a bear with a stick, but its an APA at that Alc ;p. White Labs some time ago ran 100 US IPA's thru thier labs, 90% of them were 7%alc and 70 BU's. That being said, delete all those mid additions and go or just bittering and whirlpool. By the time you cool it via one of the HB type methods (cubes or immersion chiller) the hops would have fried off to bitterness. I have done lab testing, what ever the method and even with a quick run off, i get 50-70% of Bu contribution from just a 10 minute WP and run straight to a heat ex.

At minimum 3 gms/l of dry hops will give the hop flavour you need. Alot of the SoCal breweries i've happened to come across are now doing 'session IPA's'; which is the same WP and Dry hoping but at about 5-5.5 % alc. Funnily enough they sell more volume. I made one after I had a mates version this year (Thorn St Brewer, SD) and it went like hot cakes at a festival.

Also I'd cut right back on the crystal; no more than 2% with the melanoidin and munich unless you change it to Crystal 10 or 30 for my tastes and experience (silver medal at AIBA with a 1% Cystal IPA). One of my favs is Ballast Point Sculpin, check out the clone recipes, find em' on the interwebs, almost drank my body weight in it on the last visit. HAs more crystal than most, but is kinda killer.
Great post. I've been making my IPA's with bittering charges, 30m hop stands with flame out additions only, and then high dose short term dry hops. I refuse to buy any off the shelves anymore. The results have been that good.

7% @ 70IBU really is the US standard for IPA it seems, and you're not kidding about the session IPA's being popular. I have mixed feelings about them, as it seems like a gimmick more than anything else. They were a huge end cap item this past summer, with Founder's All Day IPA leading the charge. They could easily be marketed as APA's in my opinion, but that doesn't have as much mass appeal I suppose.

The only one I would say was hopped enough to be called a SIPA is Brooklyn Scorcher, and it just doesn't go well at such a low gravity. Even the Founders beer listed above could use more of a malt backbone, but it's good.

So far, my respect goes to Maine Beer Co as far as commercial examples go. Their Peeper Ale, and MO are shining examples of hitting the red line with hops on low gravity pale ale .. in a good way. All just one man's opinion though, of course ...

Also, thanks for the Crystal/Melanoidin layering info. I have been wanting to do this, and had nowhere to start.

It should be good, but might depend on your recipe scary clown. Imo citra is one I could go heavy with, especially dry hopping. If you can spare it then whack it in - what's the worst that can happen? :)
I did read somewhere, someone mentioned making a hop tea using less hops & getting same results - but that's something I have to research first before recommending

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

JB said:
It should be good, but might depend on your recipe scary clown. Imo citra is one I could go heavy with, especially dry hopping. If you can spare it then whack it in - what's the worst that can happen? :)
I did read somewhere, someone mentioned making a hop tea using less hops & getting same results - but that's something I have to research first before recommending

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
BYO magazine's Hop Lovers Guide printed in 2008 and still available from www.BYO.com

Yob said:

Finally gave this a crack the other day on an American amber, 1.5g/l each of cascade and ahtanum, smelt amazing going into the fermenter last night, I'll see how it comes out but if it's as nice as it smells I'll be using cube hopping to get a good supply of cubes up over my time off.

Thjats the spirit!! Im at 6 cubes now but 2 of those are destined for an FV by the end of the week allowing me to punch out a double batch prior to xmas :beerbang:

6 is a good number to have at the ready :ph34r:

May your kegs always be full :beer:

I did a "sort a" tea...

Put the 100g of Citra in a nylon stocking, tried it off and poured hot water over it to expand the pellets.

I hope there is enough, can I add more hops or will it taste like grass clipping?

I've got loads of hops and need to use them up....

This "Lighting IPA" currently has

50g of sazz for 60min boil (yes sazz)
??g Nelson Saviun @ 10min (?? becuase I was too pissed to remember by this stage)

Was ment to be ~60IBU i think .

So I've put in 100g of Citra now, and I have :-

Type AA% CU% Notes
AHTANUM™ 5-8% 30-35 Floral, citrus, lemon
CASCADE 5-9% 33-40 Lychees, floral, grapefruit
CENTENNIAL 7-12% 29-30 Lemon, herbal, resinous
CHALLENGER 5-9% 20-25 Spicy, cedar, green tea
CHINOOK 11-15% 29-35 Grapefruit, citrus, pine
CITRA™ 11-14% 22-24 Mango, tropical fruit, lime
CLUSTER 6-9% 37-43 Blackberry, spicy
EKG 5-8% 26-32 Spicy, honey, earthy
FUGGLE 4-7% 29-30 Grassy, minty, earthy
GALAXY 13-15% 32-35 Passionfruit, peaches
PILOT 7-10% 28-33 Lemon, spicy, marmalade
SIMCOE 11-15% 15-20 Pine, grapefruit, passionfruit
SUMMER 4-7% 22-25 Apricot, melon
Victoria

Keep going with the hops or leave it?

NewtownClown said:
BYO magazine's Hop Lovers Guide printed in 2008 and still available from www.BYO.com
Many thanks other scary clown. I know where I'll be for the next hour :) Cheers

Latest posts

Back