Introducing Mates To Decent Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Hi all. Following a single-can purchase of Amsterdam Mariner over the weekend, mates have been whole-heartedly converted to it over the usual Corona-ish stuff they usually drink. I reckon its a pretty decent beer, and a good step on the way to some more interesting stuff...

What does everyone else think of this stuff? And whats the next logical step? :D

- boingk

I have found that a well done Kolsch does well with the mates and gets them off the usual shite. Anything that can be done well and that can be used to ween them of the usual nonsense

might be easier just to ditch them and get some new friends that enjoy drinking beer rather than beer flavoured urine like corona :icon_drunk:

cheers
carty

Remember, baby steps, just add a little bit of flavour each time!

:icon_cheers: SJ

Yeah, kolsch or a helles are usually the 1st stop for uninitiated friends who tag along to the german club..... Then if there's no hope after those level entry beers you can jag them with a schlenkerla before sending them back to VB for the rest of their miserable lives.. :lol:

I have found that that people seem to be offput by intense hop bitterness, usually anything, not too extreme with a bit of flavour will always wake up their taste buds

Id give them a Hefe or a Witbier to introduce them to a bit of flavour, then see how adventurous they go after that

How about this
Boring Lager --> Any German Wheat --> Hoegaarden --> Golden Ale --> Bright Ale --> then skys the limit.

I try not to come across as snobbish when it comes to beer, or have the mentality of trying to "change/educate" people but I used to try leading by example. Have a few different beers available so you could say 'wanna beer? What would you like? We've got a few options", or if going round for a few beers I'd take a selection of whatever I had. When others are drinking their chosen brew, I'd be drinking my chosen brew (home brewed or otherwise). If someone wanted to try one or two the offer was always there. It's a good opportunity to explain what to expect from some of the beers and let them decide how adventurous they want to be. Sometimes if they know what's coming they are a little more receptive rather than getting a shock. The bitter beer example above is a prime example.

Just a good way to introduce a little curiousity and the idea of a bit of beer variety into what I often find is a beer drinking routine for many. People drink the same stuff again and again because that's just what you do. The idea of mixing it up a little and trying new things is starting to take hold these days though.

For me, if I was going to drink something it was going to be something I enjoyed. If someone else wanted to try the experience then hey, welcome aboard and I'd usually chat about different beers for a while.

Cheers, Justin

I find it difficult not to groan or frown when people give me or buy me a premium Crown Lager.....

But Mariner is not a bad place to start for getting them off the swill, its a well made beer with a reasonable lager flavour (grainy malt and hops) and is very reasonably priced given you can get the 500ml cans at Dan Murphys!

I buy it when in a pinch with no home brew bottled and going camping or something!

Yeah, kolsch or a helles are usually the 1st stop for uninitiated friends who tag along to the german club..... Then if there's no hope after those level entry beers you can jag them with a schlenkerla before sending them back to VB for the rest of their miserable lives.. :lol:

I agree, a Helles will do nicely if you have the facilities to make a decent lager (fridge etc...). I brewed one for my work christmas party and the whole keg went pretty quick. Not the most flavourful beers but now they know I make decent beer, they'll get something stronger next time. Can't seem to get them to like gueuze though....there's no accounting for taste :icon_drool2:

A weizen will do well too.

James

At Christmas I bought a carton of James Squire Amber Ale and had a few other random international beers as well. Was trying to get people to try other beers etc.

But how was I to know there'd be competition? Unfortunately my brother had bought one of those new cartons of Pure Blonde Naked! You know the one with no carbs, mid strength, and a horrible passionfruit flavour. Well needless to say it stole the show and I've given up on even bothering to be honest!

What was I expecting though when people were drinking XXXX Gold and Hahn Light.

All of that crap makes me wish people would drink more Tooheys New or VB!

Hi all. Following a single-can purchase of Amsterdam Mariner over the weekend, mates have been whole-heartedly converted to it over the usual Corona-ish stuff they usually drink. I reckon its a pretty decent beer, and a good step on the way to some more interesting stuff...

What does everyone else think of this stuff? And whats the next logical step? :D

- boingk

Gee who knows, Mutual masturbation?

I find it difficult not to groan or frown when people give me or buy me a premium Crown Lager.....

I have a case of Crown sitting under my desk at work that's been there for weeks, some people have asked why I havent taken it home yet. Hard for them to understand why there really is no rush for me to do so......

I had a mate (who moved to QLD) give me a six pack of XXXX Gold for a house warming present. I went and placed it in the backyard (exposed to the elements) and it sat there for 2 years. Made sure the sun hit it during summer!!!

Then the next time he was back in town, and extolling to us the XXXX gold is actually quite nice when you get used to it. I produced the original sixpack (i chilled it for 24hrs) and we watched him choke them down. Poor ******* was smiling through gritted teeth.

Im kinda sad I swung my VB mates over to tasty english and belgian ales.
Now they come over and drink all my bloody beer! :(

Over christmas, these same guys brought over Crown and VB six packs and then patiently waited to be offered a home brew.
Now I have a fridge full of the shit!

Im kinda sad I swung my VB mates over to tasty english and belgian ales.
Now they come over and drink all my bloody beer! :(

Over christmas, these same guys brought over Crown and VB six packs and then patiently waited to be offered a home brew.
Now I have a fridge full of the shit!

HAHA...that is the truest thing I've ever heard. Happens everytime in my camp as well.

I had a mate (who moved to QLD) give me a six pack of XXXX Gold for a house warming present. I went and placed it in the backyard (exposed to the elements) and it sat there for 2 years. Made sure the sun hit it during summer!!!

Then the next time he was back in town, and extolling to us the XXXX gold is actually quite nice when you get used to it. I produced the original sixpack (i chilled it for 24hrs) and we watched him choke them down. Poor ******* was smiling through gritted teeth.

That is absolute GOLD!!! Way to throw the argument back in his court :beerbang:

Thanks for all the replies guys, some good ideas for introducing mates to decent beer. I'm really just over having people looking at me to chip in when they're off to buy the latest zero-flavoured commercial offering, you know? Now if its a case of La Trappe or legit Urquel then I can understand! Anyways, thanks again, all the replies were informative and made for some good reading and thinking. Cept for this one:

Gee who knows, Mutual masturbation?
Whats up with that? a] I don't get it, and b] I'm guessing its having a stab me. Anyone wanna fill me in?

- boingk

EDIT: Supra-Jim, awesome stuff...best revenge ever!

Whats up with that? a] I don't get it, and b] I'm guessing its having a stab me. Anyone wanna fill me in?

I dunno...on the same day he gave a smart arse reply to one of my threads...he must've been having a bad day.

try to ignore them, the internets full of people like that. I just don't understand why you'd bother, it's a waste of everyones time. :angry:

Cheers Ronin, just checked back on this thread I almost forgot I started and was kinda confused. Perhaps its meant to be a 'we can't all be the same' type thing. I'm not fazed about it, just confused. Bad day theory accepted :)

- boingk

Latest posts

Back