Interest In Melb Grain Bulk Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im interested...

EDIT: first time bulk buyer, not sure how many bags ill need.. maybe 3 to 4..
I think raven19 or fourstar (hmm maybe not fourstar), but someone if the AGH section posted a thread about setting upo their grain stocks for the first time and asked what he should get. its was a great list by the end but im buggered if i can find it.

OK, So I wasn't alone in running low on stocks I see. Judging by the interest, it looks like a go'er. I've contacted G&G who have kindly offered their assistance and hospitality again. I'll post up a new thread in a few days with a pricelist, rules of engagement, and we can get the ball rolling. Figure it was about time i offered to organize something...

Can't believe it i was just about to suggest the same thing, i'll be definately in ,my stocks are at dangerously low levels and we can't have that, i'll be in for 4-5 bags woo hoo, thanks Maple.

25kg! :icon_drool2:

How long will that keep for? Excuse noob q's. May help some others as well.

Bought in the Sept. bulk buy last year and it's still as fresh as a daisy (what's left of my 3 base grains - Joe White Wheat, Joe White Export Pilsener and Joe White Traditional Ale). Got these grains so I could use wheat for weizens/belgians/european bevvies and thickening up the odd aussie ale, the pils for lagers and the trad ale for stuff like APAs. Pils and Trad Ale you can also use for base on stuff like darker beers too so it's handy.

Keep my grain in those black 40L willow garbage bins they always have on special at Bunnings. Provided you tie the bag shut and have the lid on secure the stuff should last you at least a year. Farmers store grain in silos for longer - mind you they're not brewing with it!

Crushed grain kept in a snapseal bag should last 3-6 mths, according to searches I did last year as a bulkbuy noob, but some here have reported no adverse effects from storing longer. Myself I just crush the small amounts I need as I go.

+1 on the comment fresh is best though - so the sooner you turn it into beer, the better. :icon_drunk:

Hopper.

Would love to be in this but no crusher and i really can't see myself gearing up for a crusher this year :(

I could be interested depending on when. Probably have to limit myself to one bag only.

Dont really need it but figure with this swine flu and the advice to stock up on essentials i will be in for 2 bags plus maybe speciality malts :)

that might be the one. although i thought it was a 'starting up' grain storage thread so it was about base malts. im probably wrong. its a good thread for referance anyway.

As im building my grain store from scratch *ie i have none) im thinking half bag of each:
Ale (marris)
amber
pils
vienna
wheat

+ specialty grains.

As im building my grain store from scratch *ie i have none) im thinking half bag of each:
Ale (marris)
amber
pils
vienna
wheat
+ specialty grains.

Sounds good. I guess it comes down the major styles you brew and any of your own personal 'quirks'. For instance, I almost always add 6-8% of Munich in my ales to 'up' the maltiness so Munich would be apart of my major grain stock.

Personally if i had myself a mill, I'd store quantities in the following order:

a handy pail of each: Ale, Pils, Munich, MO, Wheat

Specialties: 1/2 pail of each.
20L Crystal, 40-60L crystal, 120L Crystal, Carafa S II, Melanoiden, Roast Barley/Black Patent

I'd say that would get me through 95% of my brewing.

Edit: Carapils too!

Just a random question because I'm too lazy to sift through the thread. Will Dingeman's malts be on offer? I'm contemplating a bag of Pilsner malt.

Warren -

Just a random question because I'm too lazy to sift through the thread. Will Dingeman's malts be on offer? I'm contemplating a bag of Pilsner malt.

Warren -
Hey Warren, There will be a few different malts available compared to the last BB, hence the delay in getting a pricing sheet out. John indicated that some dingeman's and possibly some simpsons will be added to the inventory, and was waiting on the confirmation prior to issuing a pricing sheet. Hopefully all will become crystallized this week and you can see exactly what is on offer.

Thanks Maple... Good to hear that it's going to be another G&G bulk buy too. So well organised by Haysie last time. :)

Warren -

The pricelist is up, put your order in here

This thread has served its purpose, Mods, could we have this closed?

Latest posts

Back