Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2_754400E7_2700823_800.jpg is this an infection it smells like eggs but tastes fine

why would i be getting a sulfur fart smell i used nottingham yeast? and will the smell disapate over time?

FFS guys, stop looking at it.... unless it's a wicked brett infection that you're proud of!
FWIW, My latest one looks fine but tastes phenolic. :(
Fingers crossed, but not hopeful.

why would i be getting a sulfur fart smell i used nottingham yeast? and will the smell disapate over time?

Brews will often smell sulphury in the fermenter. Don't stress.... & your beer looks fine.

:icon_offtopic:
This is a common misuse of the word Flocculate.
It actually means to form clumps, but many think it means the yeast sinking to the bottom of the fermenter.
In fact many ale yeasts, particularly top croppers flocculate and rise to the top of the wort.
Yeast sinking to the bottom is dropping out.
Nige

Can't see exactly but that looks fine to me

Just some yeast sitting on top that hasn't flocculated

Cheers

thanks for your reply ross makes me feel a bit better and to think i was thinking about feeding it to the grass.

Got a Coopers Blond that has apparently stalled at 1.022 after 4 days. (It's now on day 10). It was at 19c +-.5c.

Is the surface scum suspicious? I've now roused/stirred it and popped the temp up a bit.

blondescum3.JPG

blondescum2.JPG

My hybrid yeast infection. <br><br><font face="Times New Roman">Well I've not had an infection for a number of years so I guess I had to go all out! Did Boonie's LCPA and was not happy that the US05 had done the job, so rather than rouse it I pitched a packet of Cooper's International yeast and a second packet of Cooper's standard yeast. Four days later and presto!</font><br><br>

Beer.jpg

This is the funniest freakiest case I've seen - one to add to the catalogue for sure.
Looks like a colony on the moon!

T.

Got a Coopers Blond that has apparently stalled at 1.022 after 4 days. (It's now on day 10). It was at 19c +-.5c.

Is the surface scum suspicious? I've now roused/stirred it and popped the temp up a bit.

looks ok to me.

Brews will often smell sulphury in the fermenter. Don't stress.... & your beer looks fine.

+1 to this. Got a fat yak clone atm and peeled the glad wrap back and got that sulpher smell
beer is a ok though and ready to keg ;)

I may just be worrying over nothing but have never had this happen before in plenty of brews.

A spell of hot days caused by brew to bubble out of the airlock and sit on the top of the keg/wort. As the entire thing was covered in towels etc I didn't notice until I had bottled, that there was mould [like on old bread] on the lid and around the airlock - brew smelt normal and I couldn't see any mould inside. Am I being overcautious - should I be concerned about getting crook after drinking this batch?

This happened to anyone else?

@Damo - I would not be concerned as positive pressure in the fermentor should keep the mould from getting sucked back in thru the airlock.

I would be giving the lid a good clean though, then spray sanitiser around the airlock hole, etc, then if there is crud in the airlock, I would be removing and cleaning that too (covering the airlock hole with a clean sanitised shot glass or similar while the airlock is out).

I hate posting pics on this thread!

Wild yeast damn you!

Latest Alt Bier gone bad. Wild yeast defo, intense plastic / bandaid aroma.

This fermenter is going to the tip.

DSCN4826.jpg

DSCN4827.jpg

Did a nice stout a little over 3 weeks ago with a coopers stout, dark malt and a few coopers yeasts.
Bottle day came along and everything when well, when it got to cleaning I had noticed the darkish scum around the top and these little bastards!

IMG_1017.JPG

My hybrid yeast infection. <br><br><font face="Times New Roman">Well I've not had an infection for a number of years so I guess I had to go all out! Did Boonie's LCPA and was not happy that the US05 had done the job, so rather than rouse it I pitched a packet of Cooper's International yeast and a second packet of Cooper's standard yeast. Four days later and presto!</font><br><br>
**** man that shit looks fake like computer generated or something! crazy...

Latest posts

Back