Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have my first aceto infection? It's only on the very edges of the krausen though I'm sure that if left this will spread like a cheap bogan after a few vodka cruisers. I was seriously boasting to a mate the other night that "since starting AG, I have not had an infection in 30 odd batches". Haha fkin haha. Eat that!

Spewing, it's my first mild attempt. The only thing I did differently this time was just napisan and then starsan and not my usual napisan, pinkneo, boiling water then starsan, then boiling water.
It tastes fine out of the samples, I'm thinking that if I keg straight away, I should be alright....
Bugger.

View attachment 46039

Ok...I thought this was the same beast but it looks different to the above pic. This is the third time I have had an infection like this. It shows up after fermentation is finished, hangs around in the spent krausen and climbs up the side of the fermenter toward the lid. It's never on the surface of the beer and if I keg straight away, I can't notice anything suss in the beer. I've even left the dregs in the fermenter for a few days after and nothing ever grows on the beer. Just in the old krausen and up towards the lid.
All in common- fermented in my spare room during winter. I can use the same fermenters in my fermentation ice box outside and no issues.
It looks like mould of some sort. It's really pissing me off! Cheers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey mate, what part of it are you concerned about?

You say it only turns up after fermentation has finished? How long are you leaving the fermenter after bottling/kegging until it gets cleaned out?
If it tastes fine, kegs/bottles fine, doesn't affect any beer left in the fermenter after "packaging" then i'm wondering if it's an infection at all. Having said that, it looks very normal apart from the white bits mixed in with the yeasty stuff.....

Sorry if i'm missing something, i've read your post several times, but i have had a couple of my 6.9% POR Ale, so it's more than a good chance it's me.....

Hey mate, what part of it are you concerned about?

You say it only turns up after fermentation has finished? How long are you leaving the fermenter after bottling/kegging until it gets cleaned out?
If it tastes fine, kegs/bottles fine, doesn't affect any beer left in the fermenter after "packaging" then i'm wondering if it's an infection at all. Having said that, it looks very normal apart from the white bits mixed in with the yeasty stuff.....

Sorry if i'm missing something, i've read your post several times, but i have had a couple of my 6.9% POR Ale, so it's more than a good chance it's me.....

No probs, Nath :icon_cheers:
What I mean is that it starts to show up after I reach FG. I usually leave it to sit on the yeast cake for a week to clean up and this is when the little fecker has popped up. In saying about the kegging as soon as I see the mould; I've never tried a bottle from one of these batches...however I bottled up two from this one so I'm going to leave them for a few weeks and see how they go.
Cheers.

No probs, Nath :icon_cheers:
What I mean is that it starts to show up after I reach FG. I usually leave it to sit on the yeast cake for a week to clean up and this is when the little fecker has popped up. In saying about the kegging as soon as I see the mould; I've never tried a bottle from one of these batches...however I bottled up two from this one so I'm going to leave them for a few weeks and see how they go.
Cheers.

Cool man, maybe let us know how this batch turned out. I'd be interested in how it comes up.

Could have swore there was an article on infections with common things to look out for...but alas I can not uncover it.

Now whilst I dont have a photo of my suspected infection, I figure this is as good a place as any to ask, without starting a whole new thread.

So, I suspect infection due to my beer smelling like apples at the end of the ferment and also having some small white floaties on top...the sample tasted ok and I have continued as normal in the hope that its nothing major...but just wondering if an Apple smell would indicate anything untoward?

I brewed Neills Centamarillo Pale Ale http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=867, except sub the centennial for chinook and used US-05 in place of Notts.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Apple could be from acetobacter (white floaties are characteristic too), they alcohol into acetaldehyde (green apples), then acetic acid (vinegar). If you don't let any air into your beer though you should be fine, they require oxygen to survive.

Or it could just be from a poor ferment, acetaldehyde is created by yeast as a precursor to ethanol, sometimes they don't have the legs to clean it all up at the end.

How long has it been fermenting for?

Apple could be from acetobacter (white floaties are characteristic too), they alcohol into acetaldehyde (green apples), then acetic acid (vinegar). If you don't let any air into your beer though you should be fine, they require oxygen to survive.

Or it could just be from a poor ferment, acetaldehyde is created by yeast as a precursor to ethanol, sometimes they don't have the legs to clean it all up at the end.

How long has it been fermenting for?

It was in primary for a week exactly, but I believe it had finished fermenting in about 4 days, as it hit 1010 on the Weds and didnt drop any lower from there. Was sitting at about 18 degrees for the first 3 days, then raised to 22 for a day or two after that.

I also took the air lock out whilst taking my hydro samples and accidently left it out...Rookie error!

I'll just wait and see how it develops and if its no good i'll feed it to the lemon tree...

Fodder .. I found Nottinghams at Brewcraft in Ossie Park .. if you are looking for it ... Danstar ... has worked a treat for me .. thankfullly I learnt how to reuse the yeasties when I was living in Brissy .. and now my 2 pkts of yeats should last me the year ... (yes I now about generations and mutations) .. :) just letting you know ..

No infections over here yet .. had a doozy in Brizzy on a Fat Yak clone .. almost blew the Ghetto no chill method plastic container it NSW ... actually it was around the same time as the scond State of Origin so would not have been a bad thing really !!!!

LOL

Interesting...I might give the old Nottinghams another run one of these days. I did get a pack once from the Bibra Lake store but it never fired off for me...not sure if it was old or just a dud batch...

I've got a few things to work on at the moment to get myself back in order, then I'll probably start experimenting again...

what do we reckon trendsetters? smells and tastes just right, but never seen floaties like this on top. US-05 re-hydrated, the small bits on top also seem to be suspended in the beer, there isn't too much of that tho.... photo_1.JPG

what do we reckon trendsetters? smells and tastes just right, but never seen floaties like this on top. US-05 re-hydrated, the small bits on top also seem to be suspended in the beer, there isn't too much of that tho....View attachment 50504
whats wrong with using an airlock? buy some extra caps and put an air lock on your fermenters. I like glass secondaries, You can bleach them if need be, plus you can see if they are clean. Yes they are a PITA if you want to brew more than 26L

whats wrong with using an airlock? buy some extra caps and put an air lock on your fermenters. I like glass secondaries, You can bleach them if need be, plus you can see if they are clean. Yes they are a PITA if you want to brew more than 26L
.................. :blink: ...................... :unsure: ....................

so are you saying it is infected???? or i should go buy an airlock?

p.s. what' an airlock? :ph34r:

Then I reckon chill it down, keg and enjoy! Fingers crossed its ok.

Never seen a US05 like that.

Agree with Raven, if it tastes and smells OK, give it a go. However that does look a little unusual.
Fear

I have had a few look similar.

glad wrap lid...when I took off the plastic that stuff seems to sink a bit.

more noticeable when I did a 0 min hop addition .

what do we reckon trendsetters? smells and tastes just right, but never seen floaties like this on top. US-05 re-hydrated, the small bits on top also seem to be suspended in the beer, there isn't too much of that tho....View attachment 50504

Relax, it's perfectly fine.

cheers Ross

Back