Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thoughts ladies and gents?

1.JPG Im OK with the green bits.. just pellet dust..

2.JPG Its the brown bits that have me concerned.. aint never seen them B4 :unsure:

Been @ 2'c for 5 days.

As always

:icon_cheers:

Looks like yeasties to me. Did you disturb the fermenter any time recently?

Edit: is there a film there as well?

Looks like what i get sitting on top of an oat laden stout or dark ale.

hard to say for sure for 2 main reasons.

Firstly my sorly abused taste buds just aint the best and secondy Ive never done one of the english bitters before so Ive nothing to guage it against really.. I ran off a half plastic cup and am letting it warm a bit before I make up my mind, smells ok, but I am a white ox smoker so...

the missus is crook too so I cant jam it in her face either.. poor thing.. her taste buds are better than mine :ph34r:

[edit] Was an English Ale with Windsor, I dont have a great alot of experience with English ales or yeasties.. er quite normal?

hard to say for sure for 2 main reasons.

Firstly my sorly abused taste buds just aint the best and secondy Ive never done one of the english bitters before so Ive nothing to guage it against really.. I ran off a half plastic cup and am letting it warm a bit before I make up my mind, smells ok, but I am a white ox smoker so...

the missus is crook too so I cant jam it in her face either.. poor thing.. her taste buds are better than mine :ph34r:

Pour some into a clean/sterile glass, cover it with gladdy and a rubber band. If it still looks the same in a few days it should be ok. If it gets white cobwebs send it to TidalPete :D

Cheers

thoughts ladies and gents?

View attachment 47714 Im OK with the green bits.. just pellet dust..

View attachment 47715 Its the brown bits that have me concerned.. aint never seen them B4 :unsure:

Been @ 2'c for 5 days.

As always

:icon_cheers:
I did one just last week and used s-03 yeast.
no idea what I was doing...it was the only yeast I had handy.
I did read afterwards it was used in English ales.

anyway it looked the same with those little bits on top..it seems ok now.
It defintely has a different ..more darker beer taste though.

I drank it flat...it is getting gassed up right now.

Pour some into a clean/sterile glass, cover it with gladdy and a rubber band. If it still looks the same in a few days it should be ok.

did this (nice thinkin Brad) went away for the weekend and when I came home was clear..

nice one fellas

B)

Pulled out the yeast cake from my last beer. W34/70
It doesn't look right. or does it?

What exactly is it?

There is no noticeable off smell

gallery_15997_794_245695.jpg

med_gallery_15997_794_62261.jpg

it looks like a brain. Maybe its not infected, its a collective consciousness of the yeast inside. oooohhh! What have i created?!?

taste it you pansy.
looks like a pelicle to me depending on which wild yeast, it is could be tasty

Pulled out the yeast cake from my last beer. W34/70
It doesn't look right. or does it?

What exactly is it?

There is no noticeable off smell

gallery_15997_794_245695.jpg

med_gallery_15997_794_62261.jpg
was it like that in your fermenter? (that's a glass, right?)

Could have picked something up in the glass during transfer?

Tastes mostly of the base beer. very subtle blue cheese ish.. in the background, a roundness. not aweful, not that interesting or tasty either. Base beer is a munich dunkel, the malt character is not as intense as i remember it at last tasting.
It now looks like this after 24hrs at room temp.
I did not look like this in the fermenter. we'll see what it looks like when it comes out of the cube.
med_gallery_15997_794_52779.jpg

looking the two photos, the population explosion is obvious. could be the temp change or the oxygen that got yesterday while i was having a sniff.
I'll update with more photos and tasting notes this time tomorrow.
What are the chances of vomiting or death ensuing?

its the same thing as i have had several times.

Its a wild yeast infection. It crops on the top and sometimes puts off a nail pollish remover aroma. It dont taste "bad" but it does tend to mask other flavours and has a kind of earth, solventy taste that lies in the background.

It used to hit my beers when i racked and took it off the protective co2 layer in the primary fermenter.

I suspect thats what has happened to you here.

Tip it!

Back