Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking the two photos, the population explosion is obvious. could be the temp change or the oxygen that got yesterday while i was having a sniff.
I'll update with more photos and tasting notes this time tomorrow.
What are the chances of vomiting or death ensuing?
No human pathogens can survive in even 3% alcohol so you won't die, vomiting on the other hand... well that depends what it tastes like.

Tastes mostly of the base beer. very subtle blue cheese ish.. in the background, a roundness. not aweful, not that interesting or tasty either. Base beer is a munich dunkel, the malt character is not as intense as i remember it at last tasting.
It now looks like this after 24hrs at room temp.
I did not look like this in the fermenter. we'll see what it looks like when it comes out of the cube.
med_gallery_15997_794_52779.jpg

Snap

infection.jpg

Beer had a very "English" barrel/barnyard flavour to it

I was not a fan, but that was one of my most popular brews at the time!

The infection took off when I let some O2 in during a gravity/taste sample.

Snap

I think your fermenter has Thrush

Heres the most recent picture of my infection. theres always a silver lining
Wild infected munich sourdough
med_gallery_15997_794_63340.jpg

48 hrs since pitching. never seen this shit before & it's not looking good.

:unsure:

Looks like a Wyeast 1469. Looks normal for this yeast!

looks like a normal krausen to me Liam

48 hrs since pitching. never seen this shit before & it's not looking good.

:unsure:

Yep, looks perfectly normal to me too.

A lot of my fermentations look like that after a couple of days.

Top cropping??????

Snap

View attachment 47985

Is it just me or does this make anyone else think 'aerial view of Canberra' - Parliament House in the centre surrounded by little 'satellite communities'......................yeah, probably just me.

Fantastic looking layer of organisms in any case!

lol righto. It's brewcellar's re packaged US-05.
I got home half cut from the brewhouse last night and had a stickybeak, guess I was just being a hypochondriac. Cheers guys, nothing to see here!

So if it looks like spit bubbles, is it trouble?

My camera phone is so crap that it's pointless to show you. I think I'll leave it in the secondary for an extra week to see if it behaves itself.

Try smelling/tasting it, should be a good indicator.

I hate even opening this thread, in case I am contaminated by your 'fell microorganisms.

lol righto. It's brewcellar's re packaged US-05.
I got home half cut from the brewhouse last night and had a stickybeak, guess I was just being a hypochondriac. Cheers guys, nothing to see here!

My US05 quite often looks like this, nothing to fear. :beerbang:

Try smelling/tasting it, should be a good indicator.

I hate even opening this thread, in case I am contaminated by your 'fell microorganisms.
This has been the first time I have racked to a secondary and I dare not open it at present due to giving it oxygen. Smells great, I think I might be getting a little dramatic.

I know what you mean by looking into this thread, I have a bit of superstition about it as well. But fear not, the fermenter is in another room so it should be ok from your end ;)

So if it looks like spit bubbles, is it trouble?

My camera phone is so crap that it's pointless to show you. I think I'll leave it in the secondary for an extra week to see if it behaves itself.

I think that's how the moon colony infection started

first of all - no photo sorry. Thought i took one and didnt check it and it didnt turn out at all...

just opened a bottle of my latest bo pills - about the 12th bottle i have had, none of the earlier bottles had a problem. The bottle had been in the fridge on its side for about 3 days. as i pored it into a glass i noticed a big floatie come out of the bottle. At first i thought it was only the sediment from the bottom of the bottle, but there was a big blackish floatie in the glass about the diamater of a 10 cent piece (think oyster looking :icon_vomit:). The beer smelled fine, but i had to tip it.....

just had a visual at all the remaining bottles and there the usual amount of sediment on the bottoms, but nothing nastly looking or floating.... what do we reckon? safe to keep drinking?

Back