Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it didn't taste very good. And what was previously a beautiful Galaxy aroma is now rancid, sulfuric. I try so hard to be careful and then I go and use and old sponge like an idiot.

Lessons for the future I guess :(

I soaked the bag in that white stuff that gets rid of stains (sorry I forget the chemical name) for 24 hours and then in Iodopher for 30 minutes. So I don't think it was the actual addition of hops that did it.
- I soaked a sponge (not a new one, one that we have been using for a while) in iodpher for 20 minutes. then I removed the cling wrap and wipped down the rim of the fermenter with the "steralised" sponge)
- Unbeknownst to me, the wife had recently used the sponge to clean up a bunch of pollen and dead flowers from our kitchen table. The pollen left a yello stain on the rim of the fermenter which I mistook for Iodopher.
- 5 days later this happens.

LESSONS
Always use a new sponge.
Don't transfer to secondary unless you have to.
By the final week of conditioning, the beer is not "bullet proof" as I have been lead to believe by chaps at my local HBS

^^^ Yep ^^^^

New cloth every time when messing with cold side.. this was likely the issue.. get those chux type wipes.. cheap as chips and throw them away after each use... the bin in my shed is full of the bloody things :rolleyes:

I'd like to know what the "white stuff" was too :blink:

Sorry for your loss

Totally. I also got some good advice via PM. Don't mess with it! I ferment in a chest freezer, and if I keep the thing closed then the bed of Co2 both in the fermenter and fridge should help protect against infection. I was checkin on it every day! Silly bugger.

White stuff? As per some advice on this forum I clean with some white stuff, active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate :) Then I sanitise with iodopher.

Joel

^^^ Yep ^^^^

New cloth every time when messing with cold side.. this was likely the issue.. get those chux type wipes.. cheap as chips and throw them away after each use... the bin in my shed is full of the bloody things :rolleyes:

I'd like to know what the "white stuff" was too :blink:

Sorry for your loss

sponge's have got to be breeding grounds... they would soak up all the crap... like a sponge.

I always use paper towel to wipe up the mess, generally spray with starsan then wipe up with paper towel... and toss.

but if you're just changing a glad wrap cover really there's no reason to wipe anything, change it as cleanly as you can and be done.

:icon_offtopic:

Capture.JPG

Not an infection... just thought it was purdy B)

My pictures are kind of crappy, but when comparing what I'm looking at in my fermenter at the moment I see this:

Also similar to phoenixdigital's post that looks like this, where the strange bubbles are forming on top, which lead me believe there is a film formed ontop.

Taste not too off, a mild solvent like taste that could be contributed by something else.

Thoughs?

Any thought's on this one?
I can say that it tasted way better 5 weeks ago when it had just finished fermenting. It's a wheat beer fermented with Kolsch 2565. I had another fermentor full of same and it was different in a nicer kind of way. The beer hasn't got as much hop flavour and there is a slight harsh alcohol on the back of my pallet after a taste test.
IMG_0661.jpg

I am pretty sure these are yeast flocs, not an infection, but I've never seen anything like this, so thought I'd throw it to the AHB masses:

Two separate fermentors with San Diego Super (2l started) 7 days after pitching. I've never seen a yeast clump and stick around like this post krausen before, but I've never used this yeast before, either...

photo.JPG

photo_1_.JPG

I am pretty sure these are yeast flocs, not an infection, but I've never seen anything like this, so thought I'd throw it to the AHB masses:

Two separate fermentors with San Diego Super (2l started) 7 days after pitching. I've never seen a yeast clump and stick around like this post krausen before, but I've never used this yeast before, either...

Seen it on a few of mine before. Left it for a few days and didn't drop to the bottom. Kegged it and tasted fine.

Yeast and Yeast

happens to the best of us. an imperial pils down the drain. I tried it and it was ok so i let it ferment out. then tried again. :icon_vomit: massive rubber and pepper taste and phenolics. way gone. nuked the fermentor with bleech and now PBW. what a waste.
20120928_201810.jpg

Just bottled my second brew today, and when I got down to the gunk at the bottom, found a shred of the paper from the kit label.... I have absolutely no idea how it got in there!

Anyway, will advise on whether fermenting labels for 12 days does any good for the body or flavour of the beer. I'll let you guys know!

I wouldn't stress I found the top half of the wyeast packet at the bottom of fermenter once. Beer was fine

Back