Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowlyf said:
Is this anything to worry about?
It smells highly of alcohol, almost burns the nose
May be fine. The nose burn could be co2 & alcohol
However the film on the bubbles look a little like the bubbles in a aceto infection (I had one a few months ago).
Does it have a sour or vinegary smell? If so it may be aceto.
If it is, read up on acetobacter. Not harmful to people, aerobic. If you wanted u may be able to bottle half/most of it - if it still tastes ok.

However, as stated, it may be totally fine - the surface can sometimes look a little odd once the krausen drops.

Been brewing since 2002 and i have only ever had to tip one brew out and that was when i first started kegging and i didn't rinse the keg out properly after i sanitized it with clorox oxi magic. The below is a coopers real ale that i left in the primary for 3 weeks which is what i normally do during the cooler months as i don't have a fermentation fridge. The FG was normal, it didn't have any weird flavors or smell when i took a sample so i kegged it. The yeast cake looked normal, is this my first Aceto infection?

20150919_1541331.jpg

razz said:
If it smells okay then that's good, but how does it taste after kegging?
I havent tapped the keg yet but when i tasted a sample after i checked the FG it was all good. I only discovered the stuff on top after i started filling the keg. The stuff clung and stuck to the side of the fementer so none of it ended up in the keg.

My first Infection. I almost feel proud because its beer I've just kegged and smells and tastes good.
it was an experimental Australian Saison Thang inspired by somebody on this forum, I cant remember who off hand....

Saison range Aussie Ale with cultured Coopers Yeast. Brewed at the top end of temperatures (mine got to 23-24c in full ferment). It smelled good like fruit salad with bananas. Left for 24 days. Sitting temp is 18c. Gravity test, I smelled, I taste tested, its all good and I'm exited with this actually. Just dry hopped 2 kegs and saved two 750ml bottles of the yeast cake.

Any tips on what this is other than a wild yeast I picked up somehow. I do brew outside but with very cautious measures of containment of the wort in cooling and decanting etc. Never had this before!!!!

I'm going with this whatever it is. The beer tastes good and I have two bottles of the yeast for some mutated home culture Aussie Saison or some freak thing haha.

What is it????? :unsure: White patches on the walls. Some floaties. Its very white.

Added to the above I shelter my ferments in darkness. Never open the lid from pitching to look at it etc. and didn't see this until after decanting.

nic0 said:
I havent tapped the keg yet but when i tasted a sample after i checked the FG it was all good. I only discovered the stuff on top after i started filling the keg. The stuff clung and stuck to the side of the fementer so none of it ended up in the keg.
So I guess your drinking this stuff and its all good yeah? Give us the deets. B)

Hell I'd drink that!!
I've had a few brews I've had to wrestle down, they were so alive..

nic0 said:
Been brewing since 2002 and i have only ever had to tip one brew out and that was when i first started kegging and i didn't rinse the keg out properly after i sanitized it with clorox oxi magic. The below is a coopers real ale that i left in the primary for 3 weeks which is what i normally do during the cooler months as i don't have a fermentation fridge. The FG was normal, it didn't have any weird flavors or smell when i took a sample so i kegged it. The yeast cake looked normal, is this my first Aceto infection?
Looks like aceto, but I couldn't be sure.
If it still tastes ok it's probably an aerobic infection that's just sitting on and affecting the top. Aceto is aerobic so it fits the bill.

Not an infection in finished beer but some recently stored leftover wort has grown something interesting. These were filled just how I no chill into the cubes but had two passata bottle lids not seal quite right as when they cooled the lid didnt suck in. Obviously demonstrates the importance of a good cube seal and limiting oxygen intake during storage at room temp! The jars which lids sealed and sucked in don't appear to have any of this kind of growth.

1443080022375.jpg

1443080031115.jpg

My ex used to grow some nasty shit that looked like that called kambucha. It smelled and tasted like a cross between dirty socks and ass.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443324523.922152.jpg

Bollocks. I think I have an infection. Dry hopped this morning, the krausen was looking thick and dark and now I've got what looks like mould growing on top.

Edit. I'm going to leave it, as it could just be the krausen breaking up as I moved the fermenter a bit. Will check again tomorrow.

Mardoo said:
FWIW it looks like krausen breaking up, from this blurry side of the tracks.
Here's hoping because the beer tasted amazing when I checked the gravity, before adding the hops (50g motueka). I had/have high hopes for this one.

grott said:
Probably will be ok. Let us know how it turns out for interest sake.
Cheers
Finished the keg and the beer was fine. Did another brew and that stuff started forming again. I am going to use a different sanitizer and see if that fixes it.

I think I might have some infected bottles. Image here: https://i.imgur.com/sbLOvXo.jpg

Extract IPA, included dry hopping. 1 week into conditioning some but not all of the bottles appear as above.
Brew tasted fine out of fermenter.
Sanitisation involved soaking bottles in oxy clean, then a wash with pink stain and letting dry on a rack overnight before bottling.
Assuming this is an infection am I best to take extra precautions for the risk of bottle bombs?
Should I taste one now to see if I can taste anything funky?

Back