Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You stirred it in, you say?

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A post well worthy of this thread. If that's not a doozy I don't know what is.

Hi folks,

Have fermented quite a few cider brews simply by adding SafCider yeast to 100% apple juice that has been recently pressed at an orchard (no pasteurisation, heat treatment, sulfiting etc).

However, my latest has these grey thready spots on it, that from the first page of this thread looks like acetobacteria?

I haven't smelled it yet, but guess I should expect a vinegary smell.

Anyone have similar on their ciders? What did you do :)

B

photo-2.JPG

Does anyone else's brain read "infected potato thread" when they glance at this topic? No? Just me? Okay...

bingggo said:
Anyone have similar on their ciders? What did you do :)
Yes, had that once. Son decided to feed a watering fitting from the lawn through the airlock hole. The webbiness disappeared after 2 days so I thought all was well. Tasted it after 3 weeks and without hesitation tipped it on the lawn.

petesbrew said:
Made me think of a youtube clip I saw the other day. Lost Youtube at work sadly, so enter "Hilarious British Animal Voiceovers".
"Nighttime, Daytime! Nighttime, Daytime!"
Hahaha I love that video. Allen! Allen! Wait that's not Allen... Steve! Steve!

Yob said:
thoughts ladies and gents?

attachicon.gif
1.JPG Im OK with the green bits.. just pellet dust..

attachicon.gif
2.JPG Its the brown bits that have me concerned.. aint never seen them B4 :unsure:

Been @ 2'c for 5 days.

As always

:icon_cheers:
Excuse my ignorance, but I like the cling wrap idea, however how does the co2 escape?

And sometimes a bit of krausen sneaks out. Again, kinda like farts...

Normally I'm not the worrying kind (might not be true) but this is my case swap beer and have never seen this before. This is after 7 days. Does it look normal? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434783496.304346.jpg

^^looks like a whole bunch of hops and yeast.

What did you make?

Pratty1 said:
^^looks like a whole bunch of hops and yeast.

What did you make?
Shit it's meant to be straight water!

It's just a pale ale, just never seen the top like that before and all the hops were strained out.

Nullnvoid said:
Shit it's meant to be straight water!

It's just a pale ale, just never seen the top like that before and all the hops were strained out.
I was reading the braukaiser article on pH earlier today and noted that the appearance of hops in the krausen can be the result of the pH lowering during fermentation. Due to the way hop solubility changes relative to pH, the hop compounds are coming out of solution.

He even cites some literature that suggests skimming these compounds would make for a less harsh bitterness, but I'm not sure I'd go that far!

Does this look infected?

I had a few pints and now my mangoes are a bit tingly.

infection.jpg

Latest posts

Back