Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, looks v similar to my infection above (post 633). Mine seemed to be an Aceto infection
Try a few taste tests. I assume you're at FG, so if it tastes fine, then maybe bottle the bottom half or so.
And treat it as though it could turn out to be bottle bombs - just to be on the safe side.

Aceto infections are aerobic (as DJ_Lethal pointed out above), so it should basically just be sitting on the surface and hopefully hasn't corrupted the bulk of the beer, hence you should be able to get away with bottling some of it.
At your own risk though.
Otherwise turf it!

This batch is already tipped but for academic purposes - can anyone pick this infection?

2015_03_29_11_35_18.jpg

It's the second time I've had it in a Saison being fermented at room temp. It's kinda pretty in a way but not pretty enough to be escused for destroying 22lts of Spiced Saison. :angry:

Mine looked a bit like a lesser version of that.
I believe mine was an Aceto infection. Had a vinegary smell to it.
So if you wanted to stick with it, you could go for a sour saison. Maybe.
FWIW, acetobacter is meant to not cause any major gut problems/illness, so you could try bottling the bottom half. Maybe.

Otherwise, commiserations on losing a brew to the mouldy side.

How many contaminants in this batch? Smelled like you can imagine. Had to leave it a while to get this rich a microflora collection.
I could try and describe the aroma, but someone could be eating/ Know what I mean?
Needless to say, I think the fermentor is stuffed.
contam.jpg

I'm surprised there aren't maggots! Or are there? :/
It looks like a drip tray / water bath I had left in my kettle barbecue for a few weeks.. gag

no guys, it's what was left in the fermentor after I emptied the fermented beer into a keg, and then it went back in the fridge with the lid on, at ambient, over Summer (door closed).

I may or may not have other fermentors with similar states of decayed wort in them, only one of which has a pellicle (or it did 3 years ago when I looked, but it was a really old fermentor).

Do you think I could fix my possum problem with it. Looks like oysters at the bottom of the picture. So, no takers on the identification game?

I know it started with acetobacter, and some neoruspora crassa (common green bread mould), and no doubt some wild yeast...

Les the Weizguy said:
I may or may not have other fermentors with similar states of decayed wort in them
You really should clean them out or you are going to summon/breed a Golgothan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdOqYEwcT8

Just purged an infected Helles into the septic tank. It spontaneously fermented at 10°C after 2 days. No excuses, just a picture. Tastes lagery and a little medicinal. YES, I tasted it. I have tasted worse in brew comps...

Helles yeah.jpg

Les the Weizguy said:
Just purged an infected Helles into the septic tank. It spontaneously fermented at 10°C after 2 days. No excuses, just a picture. Tastes lagery and a little medicinal. YES, I tasted it. I have tasted worse in brew comps...

Helles yeah.jpg
I hope you tasted it before putting into the septic tank...

What do you guys think. Its a 2 can. Mix been tooheys and a draught. Tastes very caramelly and syrupy. Reading is at 1030. Im gonna give it a giant stir to reactivate it. And take it out of the fridge. Its been a month. Do u think its a doosy. Was pitched with pilsiner lagar yeast

1430615824095.jpg

From the info that you have given it seems more like a stuck fermentation than an infection. What temp did you ferment at? Did you use dry or liquid yeast? If dry did you rehydrate before adding it? If liquid, how old was the yeast and did you do a starter? How much yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate the wort before adding yeast?

I assume you have a thermostat on your fridge (had to ask) - if not normal fridge temp ~1-3c will be too low for Lager fermentation. If you stir be careful not to add any contamination and not to oxidise (stir gently). I would slowly increase temp to ~17c at 1-2c / day.

I know i got a stuck fermentation but look at the top of the wort. It looks like detergent. (Dont use any)

Yeah cant realy say from the photo if ya got an infection problem but as james has said you definitely have a fermentation problem. Was the the temp steady? A few degree swing lower and the yeast could of gone to sleep

ekul said:
Thanks raven. I have often thought that a thread where people can put up pics of infections would be great. I might have one of my own very soon. A coopers clone didn't fire up for a few days. I din't bother checking it because the coopers yeast has never failed on me. I had forgotten that i had frozen my yeast samples.
There's something on the top growing, it may be yeast, or it may be infection. Smells like coopers though so we will see.
Once, years ago I had a pancake of mold floating on top of the fermenter. I rank the kit manufacturer, Coopers up and they said if it smelt and tasted OK then just leave it and let it complete fermentation. They added that 'sometimes strange things can happen during fermentation' It did smell and taste OK and I ended up bottling it and drinking it. Only ever happened the once. Too weird....

This is a better look. I stired the yeast up straight away. Temp control was 10 degrees. I do find it can drop to 9 as my heat strip i had in the fridge destroyed itself

1430648191267.jpg

Latest posts

Back